Ideas for a semi-babymoon

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sue35, Dec 31, 2013.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

We are going to visit my husband's dad in Tucson, Arizona at the end of January. Originally I wanted to go on a real vacation but he is helping us buy a house so it's the least we can do to go visit him. We were thinking of going to San Diego a couple days before (probably fly there and then fly to AZ). I love San Diego but we have been there. Any ideas of anywhere else that would be great at that time? I can't hike really so that takes out some places.

Thanks and have a great New Years!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

Much depends on what you like to do and how long you plan to be where you can do it.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

I came do most things as I am not actually pregnant myself. But I can't do long hikes because of my bad lungs. We like to do everything really. We have been to San Diego and Utah but that pretty much it in the West.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Vegas!

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Whoops, we have been to Vegas also. I got the worst sunburn of my whole life there. Ahhh, the memories:)

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Hmm... Disneyland?

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Seattle or Oregon?

San Fran?

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2013

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

I can think of lots of possibilities, but I think I've exhausted my compendious-post allowance for the day. sue, are you a museum-goer? Are you fond of amusement parks? Do you prefer cityscape or countryside, and how do you feel about long drives? Are you looking to escape the cold and the rain or are you hoping for snow? Do you prefer the beach or the mountains? Do you like fancy resorts with all sorts of amenities, or are you fine with more modest accommodations?

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

I would love Disneyland but my husband is against it. I think he would prefer a place where we can lie on the beach most of the days, with some activities in between. He likes good seafood. We are fine with anytime of hotel or bed and breakfast and don't mind driving. I wouldn't even mind a small town with a quaint B and B. Mostly we just want to get away from our hectic lifestyle.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

a cruise!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2014

"Lie on the beach" would be southern California - Malibu and points south, possibly Catalina Island. The farther south, the warmer... One doesn't lie on the beach much at this time of year anyway from about Santa Barbara north: the water's too darned cold.

You could stay in Santa Monica - which isn't terribly far from LAX - and do the beach there, though one does tend to get tar on one's feet. LA's full of possibilities for day trips. The Getty Museum's two campuses (the Roman villa in Malibu, the main facility in Sepulveda Pass a bit north of UCLA) are both remarkable; I have soft spots for both the Page Museum (a.k.a. La Brea Tar Pits) and Griffith Observatory, but that's me. You'd be within striking distance of LA's Chinatown, which is not nearly as showy as San Francisco's but still worthwhile, and I once had the best tempura of my life in Little Tokyo.

If you're willing to walk on the beaches rather than lying on them and are fond of wineries, Santa Barbara is a bit of a drive north of LA but is pretty and scenic and relaxing. San Luis Obispo is yet a bit farther north of LA and would allow for a day trip to that epic monument to conspicuous consumption, Hearst Castle (which really is worth a visit). The last time I was there, I was camping, but there are both expensive and sorta-reasonable places to stay scattered along the Central Coast from the Five Cities area (just south of San Luis Obispo) north to Cambria.

(Oops. There goes my blather-a-lot allowance.)

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

If it were the summer, i'd recommend a bed-and-breakfast owned by my step-grandmother's son in Cape Cod.

Cape Cod would not be very pleasant in January, though :p