Ideas for 5th grade Sci./SS related novels?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by pamms, May 30, 2009.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

May 30, 2009

Hello!

I am moving up to 5th grade next year! I have taught 2nd and 1st for several years, but never higher than that before. In our school we switch classes for all the subjects in 5th grade so I will be teaching only SS (American history) and Science (Phys. Sci). I'd like to find a few novels that would fit the subjects to read to the class if I can squeeze it in. Any suggestions? I know I will be back for LOTS more advice, but I'd like to add some of your ideas to my summer reading list!

Thanks!!

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

May 31, 2009

Here are some that my third through fifth graders liked last year:

The Watsons go to Birmingham-set in the 1960s, Civil Rights

Gentle Annie-story of a Civil War Nurse

Hatchet is a really good one, but I'm not sure where you would tie it in

The United Tates of America (I believe this is a book about geography and regions of the US, but I could be wrong)

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2009

Fighting Ground by Avi-Revolutionary War
    Journey Home-orphan trains
    Gratefully Yours-also orphan trains
    Treasures in the Dust-Great Depression
    Bull Run-First Battle of Bull Run

There are lots of novels set during the wars as these are pretty popular with kids. The Dear America series (and My Name is America) is pretty good too, but if you are looking for a class set these will get pricey. Use them as read-alouds for the class. The books are historical fiction written like diaries or journals. They are set in various times and "written" by many different characters of various backgrounds and different points of view.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 31, 2009

My Brother Sam is Dead - American Revolution
    Moon Bridge/Farewell to Manzanar - Japanese internment during WWII

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 31, 2009

My kids absolutely loved:
    Andrew Lost series for Science
    -If you go to the publisher's web site, there is a literature unit for the series.
    Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit- Civil War
    - This one is a true story of Emma Edmunds who dresses up as several characters and makes amazing accomplishments in the Civil War. There is a literature unit to go with this one, too.
    Number The Stars - WWII, German occupation, helping the Jews

7. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

May 31, 2009

Johnny Tremain is a good one for the American Revolution.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 1, 2009

Dear Levi, Tales From the Overland Trail
    Morning Girl
    Sign of the Beaver
    Winter of the Red Snow (Dear America series)

9. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jun 1, 2009

If you can give us a specific topic that you want your novels to cover, I think we can help you a lot better.

10. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

Back when I taught 5th grade history, I used some small books that all had the same title. It was something like "If you lived back when..." and the books were all different...some were "if you lived during the American Revolution" or "If you lived during colonial times", etc, etc. They were very educational.

11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 2, 2009

Pamms, congratulations on moving to 5th grade! You are going to find it a great level to teach, and there are so many great historical novels for this age level! :)

As mentioned, the Dear America and My Name is America series books are amazing. There is one or more to fit nearly aspect of our nation's story. :) I got most of my copies from E-bay for a really reasonable cost. I always use A Journey to the New World when we study the Pilgrims and Winter of the Red Snow,which is the story of Valley Forge.

Exploration: Scholastic has a book about Roanoke: The Mystery of the Lost Colony. The kids are facinated by the mystery surrounding The Lost Colony. Pedro's Journal-story of Columbus coming to America told through the eyes of a young cabin boy who sees the event from the perspective of the Native Americans. Great for point of view and figurative language, too.

Sign of the Beaver takes place in Maine between the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War time period.

George Washington's Socks-story of a group of children transported back to Washington's Crossing of the Delaware and the Battle of Trenton.

Civil War: Across Five Aprils, Abraham's Battle, A Novel of Gettysburg

Dirty '30's and Racism: Out of the Dust, Bud, Not Buddy, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

WWII: Sadako (aftermath of Hiroshima); Hiroshima; Number the Stars, Twenty and Ten, Yellow Star, and Boy Who Dared (Hitler-Holocaust)

Electoral Process: Kid Who Ran for President

Too, there are lots of great biographies to choose from. :)

12. TX5Diva

TX5Diva New Member

May 14, 2010

I have been using Silverbrook (by Karen Petersen) for the last three years in my fifth grade classes. It's a fabulous and accurate historical fiction book about a 14-year-old German boy whose family immigrates to Texas. It even has ten questions for each chapter with answers listed on pages that I actually tear out of student books. Better yet, there are 20 Questions at end for "Better Understanding"- they also have answers!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 14, 2010

I don't think you can beat "Soldier's Heart" by Paulsen for Civil War era.

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 15, 2010

I love 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule for Reconstruction, the Breadwinner for the Great Depression, Number the Stars for WWII, and Hiroshima by Lawrence Yep for WWII.

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 15, 2010

Turn Homeward Hannahlee-Civil War

A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt-Great Depression

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry/ Let the Circle Be Unbroken-Great Depression

Number the Stars/ The Devil's Arithmetic- WWII

16. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

We have 3 Core Literature titles in our District and my Science-teaching partner and I are incorporating them into our time slots since Math and Reading need all the time they have (besides, both of us LOVE to read to our kids!!).

So, I'll be reading Indian in the Cupboard in connection with the French & Indian War, and Ben & Me when we cover the Revolution.

Next door, she'll be reading The Cay (extended lit., but we love it) in connection to our Weather unit and My Side of the Mountain to be *loosely* tied to plant & animal systems.

Chele :)

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

How does Indian in the cupboard connect with the F&I War?