Ideas for 5th Grade Mock Lesson????

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by love2teach_art, May 16, 2012.

1. love2teach_art

love2teach_art Rookie

May 16, 2012

Hello Art teachers!
    I need your help... :)

After a successful interview for an elementary art position, I've been scheduled to teach a 40 min lesson to a group of 5th graders.

I'm looking for a simple art lesson I can do with them.
    40 minutes seem so long!!!

1. Any lesson ideas? Please share them with me.
    2. What are your suggestion for demonstration??
    I'm going to avoid using technology (so that I can avoid and troubleshoot, mishaps) And it'll be a nightmare to have 5th graders gather around a table to demonstrate, right?

3. Finally, what's a good non-verbal cue to remind students of transition, for ex. clean up time?

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 17, 2012

I am trying to remember, you are an art teacher, yes? What sorts of lessons have you done with 5th graders before that have been successful? If you start there, then you can modify it to the constraints.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

It's always neat when you can use an artist to model what you want students to try. Choose an artist with a unique style that would be fun for students. This way you can fill the time with talking about the artist and a few of his/her works.

My art teacher pulls up one or two students from each table and models for them while the other students are doing something (setting up, looking at work by a professional, etc). Then these students model for the others at their table while he walks around and critiques. Then students can get started and anyone who wants to see the technique again can come up to him.

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 19, 2012

Best of luck to you. 40 minutes really isn't a long time, when you think about it. I recently did a lesson with my 5th graders where I taught them how to draw portraits. We went over basic head shapes, where eyes, nose, lips, ears, eyebrows, etc. goes. As suggested by others, do what lessons have worked best for you in the past...especially if it is for a job interview. Trying something brand new that you may not be as comfortable with could possibly be a risk. Again, best of luck to you!

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 19, 2012

And you are assuming you will get the full 40. It takes time for: students to arrive, the principal to get free, etc. Of my two demos as part of interviews neither started on time.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 19, 2012

DL a copy of the schools state curriculum guide for art, compare it to similar core curriculum standards for 5th grade. Find those first.

With those, you can plan any number of activities that will be relevant to current trends. Better, you can explain why your lesson is relevant.

Making up a song to have them learn about an artist or technique or some fundamental terms would be my go for a short period mock lesson. One, no mess. Two, no materials. Three, fun and transferable, usually. Then have a directed sketch activity that relates to your song as an assessment. Maybe even a scribble sketch. All of that are the minimal materials of pencil and paper.