Ideas about homeschooling

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by katie11, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

In order to homeschool really well, the parents really need to believe in it and believe that that is the best option for their child. I don't think that it should be done just to make the child happy but should be done because the parents believe that they can do a better job of educating their child than the school systems. Homeschooling is not for everyone. It takes alot of hard work and self-motivation!

I was homeschooled K-12. My parents began homeschooling my sister and me because my older sister was not learning what she needed to in our school system. In that school, there was very little set curriculum and some of her 2nd grade assignments were not appropriate. One teacher asked the class to write about how the would steal something. My parents decided that enough was enough and started homeschooling us the next year (I was beginning Kindergarten).

As an adult that has been homeschooled K-12, I notice that I am still very self-motivated. I did very well in college and graduated with highest honors. The big reason for that was because I was used to studying on my own and not everyone at college was.

Homeschooling is not for everyone but if you really believe that it is the right option for your child, it can be the best form of education out there!

2. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

As an adult who was homeschooled K-12, trust me, homeschoolers can deal with all of that. Homeschoolers do lean flexibility and are highly motivated people. They also have to deal with far bigger obstacles than scheduled lunches.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

My boyfriend was homeschooled. He was really smart, so he got to learn at his own pace, which was great. However, as much as his parents tried to give him socialization opportunities, he never really socialized. He still is very awkward socially. I do see a lot of benefits, but a lot of drawbacks too.