IDEA Public Schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Alyssa20, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 17, 2017

Does anyone work for/know anyone that does work for IDEA? From what I researched, they are a chain of charter schools(PreK-12th) in Texas that cater to low income students. A credential isn't required, and they hire teachers as long as they have a bachelor's. If I don't pass my last CSET (math/science) next month, I'm thinking of applying. I read that they are strict, and many teachers stay there until 5pm(kids leave at 3:30). But, I feel in every school many teachers stay late anyways. The pay is also good too (48k).

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2017

My suggestion is to research them in depth and then ask for information directly from that school organization. That way you won't get misinformation.

http://www.ideapublicschools.org/

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 17, 2017

I would agree with the earlier post that you should carefully research the school. They burn through first year teachers at an alarming rate and claim a high graduation/college acceptance rate, but face withering criticism for weeding out weaker students that might not be accepted into a college.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 17, 2017

I also suggest you research this carefully. As well as any system of schools that is unconcerned about having licensed teachers.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 17, 2017

I normally don’t say this, but I agree with Tyler B. Even at my private school, teachers are expected to get their teaching credential (within 2-3 years) after being hired or you are let go. In fact, before you are even considered for being hired you have to have already passed the CBEST and CSETs in your subject area, as well as show proof of enrollment in a teaching credential program.

I find it very concerning that this charter school has no qualms with hiring uncertified teachers. How can they be sure that the teachers know what they say they know and can teach it to students?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 17, 2017

Now, I teach at a charter school, but it's a solitary thing that broke off from a private Catholic school. I fear charters that are part of big franchises because, as Tyler B. pointed out, they destroy teachers. It's not that there probably isn't something to the intense, long-day education they give to low-opportunity students, but it's not a sustainable program for staff.

8. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Dec 20, 2017

I would be wary of network charters. I quit one earlier this year (for various reasons that I can elaborate on if you would like) and was lucky to find a job in a district public school soon after. It's an entirely different world.