Idea I need help with....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by busybeeprek, Mar 29, 2012.

1. busybeeprek

busybeeprek Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

I have recently graduated with a degree in Early Childhood and have searched for a job for a while now. I have an idea that I would love to have some feedback on. I have considered starting an in-home preschool, but my home is small and I don't have the extra room to handle the business. In my search for ideas, I stumbled across Wee Art which is a preschool program that goes to different homes and classrooms to work with the kids on art projects. My idea came somewhat from this concept. If a child doesn't qualify for HeadStart, HIPPY, or public school pre-k but the family is unable to pay for private preschool, they are left to either try to find things to do on their own or their child might start kindergarten behind. As early childhood educators, we all know that the standards of kindergarten have changed drastically and the demand for some sort of preschool education has increased. Would you think that a person willing to go into the home for a small fee a month and work with the parent and child on kindergarten readiness would be a viable way to reach out to these families that might not otherwise have the resources to prepare their child? I think that it could be done in a group setting with parents and children participating. I would have the necessary supplies provided and would lead the group instruction time. The only thing the parents would have to provide would be the space to work in and the willingness to help their child. Please let me know what you think.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 29, 2012

I think the schools would love there to be just such a person. I am not sure how you could convince the parents that there is a need for a toddler tutor.....without some AWESOME marketing.

It is a good idea....think about the marketing (a challenge for any small business) and see what you dream up! All great things start as dreams!

4. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

Yea that sounds like a great idea, I'm sure there is a need for it with parents who understand the importance of education at this level but cannot get their child in anywhere. As far as markeing goes you could try approaching HeadStart, HIPPY, and public school pre-k and see if you can get the word out somehow through them. Maybe they could pass your info onto people who don't qualify for them. Good luck!

5. busybeeprek

busybeeprek Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

Thanks!

Thanks for your comments. I happen to have some connections with the Pre-K department here as I did my internship there last year. I know that they have not had registration for next year and will be doing that next month. I know that I could get some marketing material in their hands before then. As for marketing to the public, I will have to draw on the resources here and see what i can come up with. Thanks again.