Idea for Student Goals Activity?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Aug 18, 2008.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I'm a third grade teacher (last year I was second) and during the first week of school I'd like to do some sort of student goals activity. Last year I did "Reaching For Our Goals" in which each student traced his/her hand on construction paper, cut it out, and wrote his/her biggest personal goal for second grade in the hand and decorated it.

I wouldn't mind doing the same thing again this year, but I have a few of my second graders again and I don't want to start the year off with an activity that they have already done (even though I only have 3 out of 24 of my second graders).

Does anybody have another idea similar to "Reaching For Our Goals" that would be a good, 20-30 minute or so activity for the kids?

3. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Sorry to bump, but anyone?

4. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I think it's a great idea. I might try it with my 1st graders.

Could you do like "shooting for the stars" Having them each decorate a rocket ship and have it shooting into space on a bulletin board? It's the same idea but.. spacey..

5. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Oooh, I kinda like it! Thanks for the reply.

Any more ideas?

6. YesOrNo?

YesOrNo? New Member

Aug 19, 2008

The Responsive Classroom program has a component called "Hopes and Dreams". The last time I time I had my class (fifth grade) write their hopes and dreams for the year I used a rainbow/cloud image from clip art. I enlarged the image until it was big enough for students to write in it. The students wrote their hope for the year in the rainbow and then the parents wrote their hope for their child in the cloud. This allowed the parents to be a part of the process. I'm planning to do it the same way this year.