Idea for Staff Appreciation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Apr 18, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 18, 2010

I'm looking for an idea of what my kids can do for the school secretaries-our appreciation week is quickly approaching. We're doing a craft-they're painting pots and planting seeds, but I wanted to have them write something in addition to that. Last year they made a list of rules the ladies had to follow. It was hilarious-"don't kick people", "smile a lot"-they still have it hanging in the office. Can anyone think of something else we can make a list of-Things that the School Secretaries....?

Thanks! :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 18, 2010

Great thread idea! I'd be interested to hear ideas that teachers have enjoyed getting from PTO in the past as well. We don't have a PTO, so I'm trying to think of little things I could do to help build community spirit in the school. I got a stack of magnetic notepads from Micheals for $1 each to stick in mailboxes... what else?

As for the kids... could you do a giant poster with all their handprints on it, and a thank-you quote from the child on their print?

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 18, 2010

I love the handprint idea Jem-thanks!

Last year our Courtesy Committee made little craft foam door hangers. We cut a frame out of one piece of craft foam, glued it to a whole piece for the backing and then glued in a pic the kids drew of the person (we took pictures of all our faculty and then had the kids color portraits). Around the outside of the frame we used scrapbook stickers to spell out words that described that person-patient, kind, always smiling. Put a pipe cleaner in the top and it was a door hanger or magnets on the back for those who don't have doors but have file cabinets. They just came out soooo cute and it was really meaningful-people still have them hanging up a year later. I know you're at a smaller school now and you are very crafty!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 18, 2010

Great idea!

This is the idea I got this morning. Our 'lounge' needs HELP!! We have a tiny wobby table that seats two, a couch that has mis-matched coushins that don't fit, and a tiny microwave. Another teacher and I have been tossing around ideas on how to 're-decorate' the space so that it's more functional and relaxing. I just wrote the owner and asked if we could get permission to do this as a surprise for that week. I'm thinking I could get a new table/chairs, couch and chair, some dishes and a few small appliances off Freecycle pretty easily. One of our parents works at a bakery, so I'll try to get some cupcakes donated later in the week. But that will be a great Monday gift!

I really like the doorhanger idea. We all share the physical space-no real classrooms-but I can def. get creative. Maybe stick them in the mailboxes for them to hang in an area. I'll post here as I get ideas.

So far, it's:
    Monday: lounge unveiling (if I get permission)
    Tuesday: notepads in mailboxes
    Wednesday: cupcakes
    Thursday: some sort of fun doorhanger/magnet/craft idea...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

Jem, at the very least some new throw pillows would be incredibly easy to make. Find some fabric remnants at the local fabric store, and either sew it onto the existing pillows or buy some filling and make some extras.

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 18, 2010

Our art teacher made something for our school that was just so cool. She had each child dip their thumb in paint and they made a huge music note of thumbprints (we're an arts and tech school thus the music note). Each grade had a different color paint. Perhaps you could do a huge "Thank you!" on poster board and have all the kids put their thumbprints in it....

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 18, 2010

I like that thumbprint idea to, GGG - thanks!:thumb:

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2010

They're "thumb-body" special :)

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 19, 2010

I always thought it would be fun to have a barista (or pretend they are) to make specialty coffe drinks for teachers on break or in the morning. Or you could make your own coffee bar with flavored coffees, creamers, syrups,etc. That would be fun for Teacher Appreciation week.
    BTW I laughed when I read about the secretary "rules!" That's cute!

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 20, 2010

We have parents deliever coffee and tea on a cart during teacher appreciation week with a baked good. The teachers love it.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 20, 2010

I love this thread! I think I will have my kids make a thumb print picture and show the secretaries doing their jobs, and then write a blurb about why they are "thumb-body" special....you all are the best! Thanks!

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

Here's another idea-I tried to find a picture, but can't. So I'll try to describe it best I can.

Picture a large index card. Then picture an imaginary line down the middle of it, vertical. One half has a picture, and the other half has lines lines to write on. The part that has lines to write on says 'Things I Love About You' at the top, then the kids use the lines to finish the thought. Then they draw a picture on the other side, or you can put a school picture.

Then take all your index cards, and make a giant vertical row out of them. Tie them together, one card's bottom to another card's top, with ribbon (punch little holes with a hole puncher) until you have a hanging 'banner' vertically using all the cards.

So it's card over card over card, all connected with the ribbons.

I got this idea from a Michaels Project sheet-they used fancy scrapbook paper for each card, so there are stickers and little flowers all over the cards.

Here-I just tried to make a diagram in powerpoint:

[​IMG]

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 21, 2010

That is cool! I think I will have my kids do one each for our RtI/small group instructional assistants!