I'd scream, but I have to make sure everyone else is doing it too.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss_ali1984, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2010

I'll be honest. I remember my first year very well, and I thought I came in knowing everything. Literally. Yet there was so much I didn't know, in retrospect. I have not necessarily learned from every veteran teacher I have worked with, but I have learned from teachers who had more experience (those who are at my school as well as those online). I then realized I was a little overconfident. Looking back, I did not do differentiated instruction, categorize my books in bins like I do now, or really do workstations of sorts. Yet I thought I knew everything.

My kids still learned a lot and had a phenomenal year because they are now tenth graders who still love me very much. :) If they have progressed this far, I must have done something right. I may have instilled a passion for Social Studies or writing... though I absolutely did not teach with as much excitement as I do now.

It's a challenge... I've been doing my field trip to good old "America's Oldest City" for six years. I am SO grateful I decided to do my own thing there, but not every person always embraced that idea. Now I am respected for it, probably because I am a 7th year teacher and very well-known for being... uhh... me... but I didn't always have that level of understanding from others. It certainly takes time, but that time comes, of course.

What are your ideas for management and instruction, by the way, as well as theirs? What is different about their classroom management system from yours? I am curious to see if perhaps things are very similar after all.

2. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2010

Oddly, I even relate my post to these forums. I started posting in 2005 (which seems like an eternity ago), but I certainly wasn't well-known. Also, my domain was not well-known (it JUST opened that day... perhaps that's why I joined... I hope not, actually), yet five years later, I guess I have "made my mark", in respects.

3. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

Oh, I was pretty confident as a first year teacher too. I've always always been an overachiever. I become a workaholic quite quickly and strive for perfection.

There were certainly some "veteran" teachers who were set in their ways and not thinking out of the box very much.

But I sure knew when to keep quiet and nod. The last thing I needed was for someone...anyone....to think I was a "know it all" or a difficult personality.

Even with an established reputation, I still practice that trait. I don't always have to be the one with the answers....I can sit and listen and learn a few things myself.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

True. There were times I didn't agree with the style some veteran teachers where using to teach during my first year of teaching. I just kept it to myself because I wanted to have a good relationship with them. They helped me so much to keep up to date with all the paperwork that was needed.

After a while, some of them started asking questions about some of the teaching strategies I used and even used some of them in their classroom. I'm pretty sure that I had come across as know it all, they would have never even considered anything that would come from me.

5. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 17, 2010

Our ideas ARE fairly similar! The big problem that I have with their 3 strike system is that it all seems to be based on humiliation. They ask the child to go up to the front of the class and modify a behavior chart to show that they've been "bad". I wanted to try something like a behavior book that asks them (as soon as they are able) to write what they've done wrong (or at least their names at BOY), and also closes when they're done so that it's not a system of humiliation. I have seen humiliation used in a school environment like the one that I am entering and it didn't seem to work well. I am certainly not saying that I can't be wrong about this, but it would be nice to be able to test it out.

I believe in encouraging a child's co-ownership of the classroom. Co-authoring rules, discussing the effect of their behavior on others, making a plan together, etc. I really enjoyed "Love and Logic" and "How to Talk So Kids Can Learn". I have seen those styles work for several very good teachers.

I would like to ensure that everyone knows that I DO know when to keep my mouth shut with my team, despite my behavior on this forum. lol
    -Ali

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Why does EVERYTHING have to be the same? Like puppets? Sorry - my mind is gone and I can't remember the original posts. Why can't your class help make the rules?
    I know I had to conform to the same behavior system as my teammates unwillingly because we all had to have the same behavior plan (with so many twins and triplets, we have to be consistent). I didn't agree with it at all... but I am happy to say they decided to do things "my" way this year. ;)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2010

I wouldn't doubt it, LOL. At least you are not the ONLY Jasztal family in the United States and post (quite openly, but professionally) with your last name visible. I don't mind stating my opinions, though, and letting people know they are mine. :)

I do understand where you are coming from... we went to college to implement our "vision". I guess take this year to learn as much as possible, see what works, see what doesn't work, and come up with ways you can still make your classroom your own in many respects.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2010

Okay, I've stayed away from posting on this thread for now, but I think I'll add a few things, now that you've been a little more specific.

One rule I've always lived by is "You can tell anybody, anything, and come out smelling like roses. It's all in the delivery."

So, you're objecting specifically to the behavior management system. We can work with that. Next time you're in a team meeting, bring it up in a non-confrontational, advise seeking kind of way. Say something like this:

"I know I'm pretty new at this, but I do have some questions about why we chose this particular behavior management system. If you don't mind, can you tell me about how you guys came to decide on it. Why does it work so well?"

When they tell you their answers, you can follow up with something like "hmmmm, I never thought about it that way. I like X, Y, and Z, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it though. I don't like what I see as public humiliation. I don't know that I'd be comfortable using a system like that, and I don't know how effective it would be for me if I'm this uncomfortable with it. I'm wondering, if I kept X, Y, and Z, but changed the consequence from having to write their names on the board to writing things down in this book, if that would work a little better for me. What do you think?"

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

awesome mmswm! Great advice.

10. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 18, 2010

mmswm - That is great advice. Thanks. ;-) I am finding it a little easier to talk to them now, even though we STILL are not changing anything. :-/ Oh well.
    -Ali