Iced coffee at home/leftover coffee

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, May 8, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 8, 2010

Does anyone have any good ideas or tips for iced coffee at home? BF and I were not coffee drinkers at all and I don't know what happened but we are going through a pot every morning. lol. Sometime over the winter we became coffee drinkers, I think because I gave up soda but I still like to have a little caffeine in the morning.

Anyway, if we have any extra we have been putting it in the fridge to save for iced coffee. Today we made up some drinks - I put almond syrup, choc syrup, a little truvia, and milk. It was good, but the coffee was really mild. I thought it tasted more like yummy chocolate milk.

I have heard you can pour the coffee into ice cube trays to make frozen drinks, so I need to pick some up so we can try that.

Any other ways you like iced coffee? Or maybe people have other ideas for what to do with leftover coffee?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 8, 2010

I use day-old (at least) coffee in sausage gravy.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 8, 2010

People actually have left-over coffee?????

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 8, 2010

ummm, I did say "day old". I actually have to make an extra pot if I'm planning on making sausage gravy :D

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 8, 2010

That's what I was thinking, leftover coffee? What? :)

7. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 9, 2010

I love iced coffee! I really need a recipe too cuz hitting Burger King daily is not wallet friendly! :huh:

9. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

May 9, 2010

So funny, I'm sipping on my home-made iced coffee as I read this! I have a Keurig machine, which I love love love! Last night before bed, I made a cup, and stuck it in the fridge. I put coffee-mate italian sweet creme in it, and it is omg yummy!!!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 9, 2010

LOL nykteacher, have you been in my kitchen? I had coffee from my Keurig this morning with the same creamer. One reason I like the Keurig is because it only makes one cup at a time and I hate leftover coffee. Even if it's been sitting only an hour I don't like it. I've tried making iced coffee from leftovers and it never tastes good to me.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 9, 2010

We have a Keurig too. We love it since we don't need a whole pot. We each use it in the morning one for coffee and one for tea. If I want ice coffee I make a cup stick it in the fridge, add ice, milk and sugar. So good and cheaper than Dunkin Donuts

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 9, 2010

I like my hot coffee on the mild side, but I think for the iced it needs to be a little darker. So the leftover might not cut it.

We don't have it a lot... But we make a full pot for both of us, and it has been hot the past couple days. We just aren't drinking as much as we have been.

13. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 9, 2010

I put coffee, ice and flavored creamer into an aluminum water bottle, shake it up and take it to school. Back before I was a teacher, I had an espresso machine and I'd use that to make iced lattes and stuff.

14. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

May 10, 2010

LOL TeacherNY, must be a NY teacher thing! One of my colleagues told me Keurig now makes a milk frother attachment, to make cappuccino!

15. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 11, 2010

That's because when coffee is on a warming plate, it continues to brew and becomes bitter and bitter the longer you leave it there.

I use the Chemex system (http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/). It only costs 30 bucks, and once you have coffee from this pot, you'll never go back to any other kind.

16. blueandgold

blueandgold Rookie

May 13, 2010

I do what plurple does, except I use the sugar free vanila Torani syrup and a little creamer and I make the pot of coffee extra strong and then put it over ice. Better than Starbucks and much cheaper. I thought I was the only one who made their own iced coffee. Nice to know other are out there too.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 14, 2010

My husband always make extra coffee so that I can make iced coffee when I get home from work. I use a couple packs of sweetner ( I like it sweet), a little skim milk and a little International creamer of some sort. Over ice. But don't make the same mistake I did not too long ago. I made a big glass of iced coffee and stuck it in the fridge, but forgot about it until about 9pm. I was looking for a snack and thought the iced coffee would be a great one, so I drank the whole big glass--and was up most of the night with caffeine jitters! Not smart.