Ice cream makers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Apr 9, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

Does anyone have one?
    I want to get one that doesn't need ice or rock salt. I saw the ice cream maker attachment to my kitchen aid stand mixer...and it is $80. Reviews said it makes ice cream 'airy'...

I wanted to make some ice cream that I saw on food network :)

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

I have a shiny red Cuisineart 1.5 qt model. I make my ice cream with coconut milk and it makes wonderful stuff. The bowl needs to go in the freezer overnight before using it, so if you don't have tons of freezer room, you have to plan ahead.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 9, 2009

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2009

I forget the brand, but I have the kind where the basin goes in the freezer over night. A part of it broke though so I can't use it :-(. It was fun to have when I first got it, but then I didn't really use it much for a long while. And then I did, and broke it, and I haven't bothered to get a replacement piece or buy a new one. I'm sure my children would love it if we had one though. Home made ice cream is deeeeeelicious!

I bet your bf's daughter would enjoy making ice cream with you if you did get one. But I'm not really sure it's worth the money. Maybe hold off and ask for one for the holidays? If not, do some more research and I bet you can find one for closer to $40. I think that's about what I paid for mine. Then again mine broke, so perhaps that advice is rather lousy :eek:!

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for the responses

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

We had one that was made in the 40's. We would all sit around in the yard and take turns cranking it until we got tired! Ahhh..those were the days.

Then we got an electric one and it just wasn't the same! We really never used it. So that's something else to think about. Are you going to use it enough to buy one?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 9, 2009

That's exactly what I keep telling my husband. I've been trying to hold him off with buying one. If we do get one I bet he will use it for a week then it will just create more clutter in the kitchen :lol:

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

No clue... I just wanted to make some. LOL

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

What MsMar might be talking about is a Donvier: there's a cylindrical insert that needs to be frozen first, then slipped into a thickish holder and fitted with a blade and crank. I have a one-pint Donvier that I bought some years ago in a second-hand store. It works very well.