Ice Breakers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ptycast, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

What are some fun ice breakers for the first day or week to use on students?

3. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

What grade level or subject?

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 21, 2011

I teach 8th-12th. I did This or That with most of my classes and Two Truths and a Lie with my speech kids.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Aug 21, 2011

Remind me... what is This or That?

6. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

In 7th Grade English, we do a question game. The students (in groups) ask questions about the teacher or class. For each question, they get a card with a letter on it. At the end, they try to spell a long word with their cards. The group with the longest (or best, or funniest, or whatever) word gets a prize.

We also do an anticipation guide (KWL Style) with a teacher's autobiography. Then the kids write their own autobiographies.

Last year, we played a game where the kids wrote some facts about themselves, crumpled the paper into a ball and tried to make it in a basket at the front of the room. Once we were done throwing, students went up one at a time, picked up a paper and read it, then tried to guess who it was about. The kids really like to throw paper!

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

You can do the 'name whip' or 'what is this'.

8. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

Thanks,

I'll be teaching Computers and Math. I don't know what the name whip is or what is this. In detail it's my first year. Also it's low-performing school 9th - 12 th graders. I like this one

"Last year, we played a game where the kids wrote some facts about themselves, crumpled the paper into a ball and tried to make it in a basket at the front of the room. Once we were done throwing, students went up one at a time, picked up a paper and read it, then tried to guess who it was about. The kids really like to throw paper! "

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2011

This or That mostly lets my kids burn off some first day energy :lol: I give them two choices like summer or winter and point to a side of the room for each. If they prefer summer they go to one side and if they prefer winter they go to the other. I participate as well so they can get to know me a little bit.

Some I did are:
    Summer or Winter
    Coke or Pepsi
    Football or Basketball
    History/English or Math/Science
    Reading or Writing (After they choose I always tell them it doesn't matter because we'll be doing both :lol:)
    Ohio State or Michigan
    Comedy or Drama (I always use this one to tell them about our Shakespeare play)