IB schools

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texasteacher201, May 23, 2011.

1. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

May 23, 2011

I have been offered an elementary position at a private IB school that is just beginning to start the IB certification process. I have never taught at an IB school before, nor do I know much about how the program actually works. I know that it will be a lot of work (which is scary since I already work a LOT as an Elementary Teacher at a public school), and I was just wondering if any teachers that have experience in IB teaching had any thoughts or opinions to share. Anything will be much appreciated :)

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 23, 2011

I teach IB in the Middle Years Programme, but you can take a look at their website to find out more about the Primary Years Programme.

ibo.org/pyp

4. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

May 23, 2011

I've actually looked at the official website but I still don't feel like I know what to expect for the upcoming school year. I was looking for more of a teacher's experience/view of the program. Do you have any pros/cons from a teacher's perspective? Thanks for trying to help :)

5. janney

janney Cohort

May 23, 2011

I teach at a public IB school. If they are just starting the IB program it is A LOT of work. When schools are beginning there is a lot of planning that needs to be done, lots of new lingo to learn, and a lot of people making things seem more complicated than they really are. :lol: IB is all about inquiry and best practices in teaching. I feel it has a lot of good ideas but can be very overwhelming at the beginning.

How IB works (at least at the elementary level, also known as PYP) is that you have the year broken up into different units that fit in with our standards and objectives. Through inquiry, students explore the topic and come up with areas that they want to know more about and investigate. The goal is to be able to teach your unit of study in a transdiciplinary manner.

IB also focuses on being globally minded and giving back to the community and people in need.

If your are teaching to last grade in your elementary (usually 5th grade) you will be in charge of guiding your students through Exhibition which is a major project where students study a global issue of their choice and make a public presentation about it. They are also required to have an action piece in which they educate people about the issue or do something to help the issue.

Once you get a year or two experience with IB and learn all the words and phrases it's not too difficult. Working in a public school that has to follow district mandates first, it can sometimes be difficult to be truly IB but we work hard to do our best.

If you want more info and a long read here is a PDF of the PYP Making It Happen which is basically the "Bible" of the elemetary IB program. http://www.itari.in/categories/PYP/IBOPYP.pdf