IB (International Baccalaureate) Anyone?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JJdog, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 17, 2015

Does anyone have any experience with this curriculum? I have an interview with an IB school coming up.

I did some reading and it looks interesting. I wondered if any of you have taught or know anyone that has taught IB at the elementary level, or really any level for that matter.

:)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2015

I have taught at an elementary IB school. I was there for a few years while they went through the process and then after they were authorized. Feel free to ask questions.

4. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 17, 2015

Well, first and foremost I am wondering how the overall experience compares to a traditional elementary. Pros/cons?

Also, this school is near the beginning of the process, just transitioning over to the curriculum next year. What are those transition years like?

I also understand that there is some extensive training that comes along with this. Did you enjoy the training and was is beneficial to you as a teacher.

Lastly, what is your opinion overall of the IB program?

Thank you for your thoughts and I realize this is asking a lot of questions!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2015

Pros: Much of the curriculum is project based, the curriculum is theme based so all subjects are taught together based on the theme. IB offers a great opportunity to become a facilitator and let the students explore and shine. I enjoyed the experience much more than a traditional elementary.
    Cons (somewhat): Not only did we have to teach the IB themes, we had to teach the state standards. That got pretty confusing at times. There is a tremendous amount of planning and meetings to get the curriculum up and going. It's a very rigorous program. I really didn't find these cons as a problem, some teachers did because they had to step out of their comfort zone.

The transition years were tough on some people because they had to teach differently. We had a great mentor school and that helped tremendously with the transition. Lots of trainings and meetings, summer workshops, visiting other IB schools, etc. Grade levels have to really learn to communicate and work together because the units have to be taught together.

There is lots of extensive training. It was mostly geared toward learning the IB methods. The best training was the collaborative meetings we had to plan the units.

As a teacher, I loved teaching in an IB school. It gave me a chance to become more than just a lecturer/director. The students blossomed and really took over their learning. It isn't for everyone, but for those teachers who like that environment, it is great.

You might want to explore the IB website (if you haven't already). Lots of resources to get you started.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. It is hard to explain everything in a post. Just get ready for an adventure!

6. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 19, 2015

Sounds so exciting

Did you teach self-contained and if so is that an actual component of the IB program?

Thank you again for your thoughts. :):):):D

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2015

It was self contained, but we collaborated about everything and basically taught the same things (using our own style).

Our IB people said we couldn't departmentalize because the program is supposed to taught across all subjects all the time. It worked for us.