I would really like your opinions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.BellaVida, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

So I got offered an assistant teacher position at a Goddard school for pre-k. I don't have formal work experience with kids and in this economy its difficult to find a job, so I decided to take it and do my best to learn as much as possible. I also got offered a job as a prek teacher at another daycare, however, i took this job because Goddard has a good reputation in our area. Well I went in to observe the classroom I would be working in and I spoke to the lead teacher and I was really surprised that she is not certified, ( I will be in a month, I WILL pass that test), and has no degree (she's in the progress of finishing school). Goddard's reputation is due to the idea that they only hire teachers with degrees. So I'm feeling a little discouraged, I was really excited about working there and learning as much as I could from a certified teacher, presumable with a degree, and she isn't. I don't know if I should take the job now. What would you do?

Also I forgot to add I have a B.A, and I DO have experience caring for kids just not in a daycare or school setting.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

That's a tough one. I guess you have to decide what your long term teaching goals are and choose the job that would best lead to those goals. Good luck with your decision.

4. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 12, 2010

hmmm...that's interesting. I recently applied to a Goddard School here in PA. Primarily for the same reasons you stated. It's virtually impossible to get a public school job here & Goddard has a wonderful repuation. I checked out the teacher bios & noticed all the teachers at our local Goddard are certified.

If you aren't having luck finding anything, and the job pays what you are looking for, maybe you should give it a shot. If anything, maybe a lead teaching position would open up & it seems you would be qualified for that.

I agree with swanson. Take a look at your goals & determine what would be best for you in the long run. Good luck.

5. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

^^ Thanks! I want to be a bilingual Kindergarten teacher so this would be good experience. It's just weird to me.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

If you feel the school is a good fit for you, go for it. Maybe the lead teacher can learn from you.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Alot of my friends have been taking jobs at Goddard out here in IL and they are all certified. However, my one friend found herself getting passed up in Goddard by teachers that have been there longer but are not certified. So maybe that has something to do with it? She found out that she is only making 11 dollars a hour with a BA while teachers without a BA but have been there longer are making 13 dollars a hour in the same position she is in. Doesnt make alot of sense. I think you should take the opporuninity and look for something better. Good luck!

8. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I suppose Goddard's are run differently, depending on the directors? I had a practicum class at a Goddard and the kindergarten class just played all day. There was a ten minute circle time and then play, play, play. Rarely even any projects. Also, children were not allowed to write on paper. They simply traced letters into a salt box. Ridiculous.

If I were you I would call the other place you were offered a job at, and see if there is still an opening. You would be surprised. I turned down a preschool job, and weeks later they were still listing for the position...possibly due to the fact that they wanted a certified teaching willing to work for only $10 an hour. Crazy what some of these preschools think!

9. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

No degree as in nothing? Like straight out of high school? I know the preschool my mom taught at, as long as you had a degree in anything you could teach there as a lead teacher - whether it was Education, Business, or Forensics. A degree is a degree in preschools. So maybe the teacher meant she didn't have an ECE degree?

Either way, a Goddard School is a Goddard School. When you put it on future applications/resumes they aren't going to say "was the teacher you worked with certified/degreed?" and then dock points if you say no. It's still experience :)

10. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

^^Thanks! You guys make me feel so much better!
    <brejohnson88's > I feel like they're putting much more emphasis on the experience, which is important but at the same time, doesn't education count for ANYTHING anymore??
    But I agree <Julie9789 > I'm gonna take it and get the experience because during times like these I see how important it is to have as much qualification as possible.

11. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

<rockangel312 > I'm definitely in shock when I hear some of the $ amounts being offered to me because of my lack of experience, but i guess that's just the way it is due to my lack of experience.
    Oh and <Julie9789 > No she really had no degree but she did have 4 years experience working in childcare/day care settings.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

Your degree WILL make a difference when you apply for teaching jobs. In the meantime, it sounds like the Goddard school will be excellent experience for your resume' and to help you hone your teaching skills.

If it seems like a good fit, I would encourage you to take it. ANY classroom experience will only help on your resume' and interviews.

13. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I know, I couldnt believe it either. I agree with everyone else though, it will be a good opportunity and look good on a resume. They dont have contracts so if something did come up such as a different job opporunity, you could always take that instead. I liked that idea becuase you arent "stuck" there for a year if you decide it really isnt right for you.

14. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I agree with you both <Cerek's and brejohnson88's> I went in on Sat for my orientation and LOVED it, I'm really excited about working there, however, I posted this in the PreK forum, I got a call for an interview from a primrose school that I had applied at before I knew I got this job. Its for a teacher position (Im an assistant at Goddard), do you guys know anything about primrose? Which school has a better reputation?

15. amias

amias New Member

Aug 17, 2010

I also got a job offer at Goddard. How much are they paying you?

16. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Hello, hopefully I am not posting this too late! I don't know anything about Primrose, but I worked part time as a "floater" (an AT for all rooms, 6 weeks-6 years) at the school for a year and a half.

I absolutely loved it. It was my favorite jobs of all part time jobs I had had. The only reason I quit four months ago was because I had a miscarriage, and it was too much for me to be there.

I too was in the same dilemma. I had another daycare wanting to hire me, but Goddard asked me first so I took it. I didn't know about their good reputation as much at first, but I learned very quickly that everyone around here thinks very highly of the Goddard School. I am so happy I took this experience.

Positions changed so much at the school I was in. There were constantly people getting pregnant and leaving (a lot of them for good to stay at home). The people who were AT's got the positions if they were qualified, and then after that interviews for the public would take place. They always moved AT's up first though if they had the degree and they wanted to be moved up to LT. They did NOT hire just anybody. I remember my director had over 15 interviews for one assistant teaching position!! It is not a job for just anyone, either. You have to be very optimistic, patient, responsible, and caring.

The only people that did not have the EC degree and who worked at teachers at the one I was at were the floaters. I was the only afternoon floater, and there was one in the summer time and one in the morning. All of the floaters there were at the same level of qualification as I was. When I was hired I was just starting school for EE, and I had 6 months of experience cadet teaching a 2/3 room...that's it. I was so surprised I had gotten the job as well since everyone else there at least had the EC.

All of these schools are different. Different pay, objectives, etc. Unlike it was mentioned earlier, my school DID do lesson plans non-stop. Everyday there were lesson plans and daily reports filled and followed through on. It was very important at my school. The kids had a lot of projects. Even in the INFANT room there were lesson plans made for each day, and they were practiced. Like I said earlier, I was in all of the rooms as a floater, but I spent the majority of my time in the "Wee School" side. I absolutely loved this job.

As I said earlier, the pay is different for each place. My school was literally only 10 minutes away and they paid my director as much as the assistant teachers in the other school! It all just depends. In mine the pay went by qualifications and experience.

It definitely helped me in so many ways. I also babysat for 5 different families, and I always had offers for a couple of them for letters of recommendations. It was so nice having people offer to write one for me when I was needing them for this year as a first-time sub!!!

The Goddard School has the best reputation in my area. Like I said earlier, they are run different and other areas might not value it as much...but the Goddard School is actually a daycare + a preschool that seriously and tremendously value importantance of lesson plans, learning through play, and safety. They take EVERYTHING seriously there and that is what makes it a good place.

Even though I went from room to room during my shifts, it was not very stressful. I don't know if that's because I like fast-paced work and I love children, or what...but my school did a very good job of keeping the classrooms at the correct ratio of kids, and I was never too stressed out. It was the best job I had, and I would go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for what had happened to me personally.

Also, "floaters" were as responsible as everyone else for everything except for writing the lesson plans. In the one I worked at, the LT did almost all of the planning but the AT helped a ton with coming up with ideas for them and getting the materials ready for them and for redecorating the classrooms all the time.

It's school experience for younger kids...everyone who I have said "I worked at the Goddard School" to, has said something along the lines of, "Wow" or "Nice!"

Also, when I worked there the corporate office called the owner of the one I was at about me. The owner told me this because I guess the corp. office lady asked her if she had an employee named __me__, and my boss said yes. She was wondering because on my facebook (that was set to private) I had listed "The Goddard School" under "Jobs." It was no big deal to my boss, but I just wanted to let you know that at my school they were very big on us not mentioning the words "the Goddard School" anywhere online. I don't know if they can see your name on here so it's probably OK, but if I were you I would leave it out on other websites. ....It totally shocked me!!

I'm sorry I said so much. If you have any questions, just let me know!
    :)