I would love ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Sep 30, 2008

I moved into my new classroom at the beginning of August. I have never been with this age but it's starting to be my favorite age and i'm loving it. I'm trying to learn more and more every day to better my skills with this age group. I am with the 3's and 4's. Here are some things that I have been trying to do/think of latley.

I love doing centers but I feel like i'm doing the same thing over and over again. I want to make them fun for the kids and I want the kids to enjoy them. Normally on our carpet we get out blacks or dramatic play stuff and I am fine with that. It's the math and science centers that I am getting bored with and I think the kids are getting bored with them as well. Do you guys know anywhere I can get better ideas for centers? How do you plan your centers? What kind of centers do you have?

How do you guys plan out your week? How do you do your lesson plans? What exactly do you plan for your class?

I just want suggestions and help to better my classroom... if ya got anything i'd love it! Thanks guys

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

It is fun, isn't it? But it's exhausting thinking of fresh ideas.

There is a good planbook just for preschool, with pages for center activities.

You can get an overwhelming amount of ideas from the internet. Just start on one website like this one (A to Z) and you can follow link after link. I cut and paste things I want to try and keep them all in one folder.

The first year is tough because you are starting from scratch every week.
    What kinds of things are you doing now at centers?

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

And then the wonderful moderator offers the links for you and all you have to do is....click! So much easier than going to the library for books (yes, I am that old).

6. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

I assign my kids to a center and then after 10 minutes I have them move to a new center. Is this a good way to do it or should we just let them pick their own, stay as long as they want and then move on. I do it this way because I want to make sure they visit each center and have time to do the activity.
    I would be interested in what you all do. What do you think works best?

7. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

What are your different center activities now?

8. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

Sorting objects by color, size, type. Lacing cards, stringing beads, worksheets, making letters out of playdough, bingo dot numbers, drawing certain numbers or shapes on whiteboards, geoboards, rainbow writing names, puzzles, making patterns with unifex cubes, peg boards, things like that.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2008

I think 10 minutes might be too short a time for soem activities--- is this youor "free play" time or is it partof your "curriclum" time? I think free play needs to be at least 30 minutes to allow the children to fully engage in their play

10. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Oct 1, 2008

It is part of the curriculum time.