I would like to incorporate more reading in my social studies class next year . . . i

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, May 26, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 26, 2008

so, I'm looking for ideas/strategies in these areas or new ones!

Textbook
    Previewing/summarizing strategies. I want to use the text only as a resource.

Nonfiction articles
    I subscribe to cobblestoneonline.net, so finding interesting articles at an appropriate readability isn't a problem.

Primary Sources
    I work with sixth graders, and the language is a real barrier to understanding.

Historical Fiction
    A whole book is sooooooo time consuming . . . all though there are a number of great ones out there . ..

Thanks for your thoughts!

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 26, 2008

How is your school set up? Do you work in teams? I ask because our language arts teacher works closely with the SS teacher to read novels, articles, etc. about events they are covering in class.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 26, 2008

My team and I went with using graphic organizers a lot this year, in which students skimmed the textbook for information (along with other sources) It seemed to work.

I also picked out a few historical novels, but I didn't want to keep to just that genre.

We used a few Kids Discover magazines, too.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 26, 2008

I don't know what book you could choose, but, one thing I remember most clearly from my own education was the grapes of wrath (I know that's too much for 6th grade, you'd have to find a different book). We read the book in English, studied the great depression history, used various types of equations to model and graph the power of the dollar in algebra and studied the effects o fhunger and stress on the human body in biology. All of the teachers had gotten together and planned this out. maybe you could do something like that with your school.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 26, 2008

Pick up the book Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading by Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman. It is a great book for content area teachers looking to incorporate more strategic reading into their classes. The information is easy to read and the lesson ideas are ones that can be used by any subject area in grades 6-12.
    If you're also looking to add more writing, their new book Content Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide is also great. I am using both of these books as the texts for a class I'm teaching now for some teachers at my school. They have been very well received by my colleagues.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 26, 2008

I have found there are a number of SHORT historical fiction books, and even picture books for kids. What are you studying?