I Would Do Anything For Love, But I (don't wanna) Do That...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

Hey to all those married, dating and long term comitmenters*. Is there any activity that you despise, but find yourself doing to please your significant other? What is it? Does your significant other do an activity that they despise to please you?

I love my boyfriend so much :wub:, but I HATE HATE HATE camping. His entire family (grandma, mom, dad, cousins, aunts, uncles, EVERYBODY) goes on an annual camping trip each summer.

I went last year and though I enjoy fresh air, nature and beautiful scenary, I disliked the whole roughing it experience and couldn't wait to get home (I was also blown to learn we weren't truly "roughing" it because there was a shower facility, grill and desiginated tent sites)

Between the bug bites, uncomfortable sleeping bags, luke warm shower water (that smells and tastes like metal since it's pumped in from wells), lack of electricity and air conditioning; I couldn't wait to get back in the car and head home.

But alas, it's only once a year, so I feel obligated to go. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The thing my boyfriend puts up with is that on weekends, I often times wake up pretty early (like 6 a.m.) and i can't go back to sleep unless I watch television for about an hour. Then I conk out until 10 or 11 a.m.

Even though he's normally still sleeping, he doesn't complain when I turn on Discovery Channel or Lifetime in the bedroom

EDIT EDIT: Also, when I'm EXHUSTED (ie: after a week of testing at school), I get very annoying. I start poking him, flicking his earlobes and whenever he gets out of bed to do something, I'll get in the middle and spread out my arms and legs. He's a good sport about it.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I listen to WAAAYYY more than I'll ever want to know about photography.

Then again, I tend to ramble on, just a bit, about Disney.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 21, 2011

I go with my hubby to eat dinner at his mom's house for some holidays or just whenever she invites us. Sometimes I'd rather not go but I go because he wants me to. I do like spending time with her but not when she cooks. She is NOT a good cook! I force myself to eat what she makes but sometimes I will bring additional items so I will be sure not to starve while i'm there!

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

lol, i didn't know your SO likes photography. Does he talk about the technical aspects (ie: use this shutter for this frame) or the more creative side, like the way light hits something and sets it aflame making a great photo opp?

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

HA! I haven't had the pleasure of eating my boyfriend's mom's cooking yet (she lives several states away so normally I cook for her when she's in town) but I hear it's awful. You're smart to bring extra items! I'll keep that in mind for the next time I go to my Godmother's house.

She tries to be exotic and make things like her own calamari and it always comes out greasy and inedible

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2011

My wife does not camp or bike nor do I expect her to.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 21, 2011

Yes, she's a sweet lady but I'd rather have my own mom's cooking LOL When his aunt comes over it's even worse because then my MIL will cook extra just to impress her. I hear the aunt is an even WORSE cook.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

Watching TV before bed. With my husband being a firefighter, he cannot sleep in silence. So, I've had to change from sleeping in silence to sleeping with TV. When he's not home, I fall right asleep but on those nights when he is home, it's just a little harder to do.

And watching Top Gear. He loves loves loves this silly show and now there is an American version along with the British version. I can't stand this show, but he loves it so much...that I bear through it with him sometimes.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

:lol: Mom's cooking is (usually) the best. I remember once my godmother got very angry because she cooked this big, elaborate dinner for her Great Uncle and my Mom prepared kale as one of the side dishes. When dinner was over the Uncle said, "The only thing worth shaking a stick at here was the kale. Everything else I could've done without." (in his defense, he was past 90 and i guess felt that if he had made it that far he could say whatever he wanted)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2011

Before he met me, he never went to plays, musicals, ice shows, ballet, etc., so he takes me WILLINGLY & actually kinda likes it...except maybe for the ballet!

He actually likes walking around the mall too & doesn't wait outside the stores while I look inside like many, many men do.

I go to his air shows, air museums, gun shows at times, plane/train model shows that he likes that I couldn't give a flying fig about. They're not that often thank God!

My guy isn't into going to sports events, thank God. But he'd go to a baseball game in which I guess I'll give it a whirl. But, he's gone w/ me to a pro tennis match once. I'm a huge tennis fan.

Other than that, we basically like the same kind of things. We can also stay at home all day & not be bored.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

When he's not teaching, he works part time with a local studio. He does lots of the sports shots for the yearbooks they work with-- 5 or 6 local schools (in addition to his own.) He sometimes freelances with the local Catholic paper.

He tends to tell me more than I want to know about why he's choosing a particular camera or lens or lighting technique. I just want a nice picture of the kids!!!

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

That's how i feel when anything history related comes up in conversation. The bf is a total history, weather and grammar geek (not buff. GEEK) so any time I say anything that he knows the story behind/scientific reasons why/the correct way to say it, he feels the need to share. :rolleyes:

If he starts talking too much, I just say something grammatically incorrect like, "For why do you think that?" and he takes the hint.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 21, 2011

Dh watches this show, too! I HATE it. I also hate the M5 show (or something like that). It's like a british NCIS. I find the acting awful. But then I make him watch Secret Life of the American Teenager with me, so I guess we're even.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2011

Oh, one huge thing I forgot to mention, he endures certain reality shows that I like that he despises when he comes over. But I try to DVR things we both like.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 21, 2011

I listen at length as he discusses differential calculus and physics as applied to coffee, radio or any other topic that excites him but bores me to tears. In return, he has to attend all shows that I wrote or am a performer. Some of those performances have been total stinkers, so it evens out.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2011

Yes, I'm sure he is a good sport about it........:D

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2011

I watch waay to many hunting/gun shows. He goes to dance recitals.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

When I had an SO, she wanted me to spend some time (2 hours a day) exercising. At first, we did this together and I was okay with it as long as we were doing it together. I didn't like being in the gym on elliptical runners and I can't run pavement either. I grew to hate it. I don't really remember her making any compromises in regards to what I wanted to do.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

Im in a household of men. I've become quite the sports fan.:D in the past year, I've been to Patriots' training camp, the A10 tournament, countless hockey and baseball games...and actually enjoy it! DH has grown to love Broadway, museums, antique shops...:love:

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2011

I probably talk a leeetle too much education, educational policy, educational reform, and the current state of my tomato plants. He's a really good sport about it.

He's a gun owner and wants to take me to the range to learn how to shoot... I'm still mustering my courage on that one. He's also a slow-waker-lounger-in-bed person, whereas I jump out of bed as soon as I'm awake. Drives him nuts. Drives me nuts.

Other than that, we enjoy doing the same things - movies, hiking, fishing, shows, museums, concerts (classical and rock/country), reading, vegging.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2011

It's cute that my husband thinks I care as much about sports as he does. Actually, I think he knows I don't, but it's just one of those things... I come home today to an enthuastic, "They fired Pearl today."

He tolerates a lot of complaining about work and society as a whole.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

Oh, major...:blush:

24. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2011

I'm not a gun person, but I do enjoy going to the range and target shooting. I had a concealed weapons permit, but I never carried and I let it expire. He keeps wanting me to renew it, but I won't.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

My husband loves shows about planes and trains, and WWI and II. As long as he lets me watch Chopped, I am okay.

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

What? How can someone not love BBC's TopGear? Both my husband and I LOVE that show!

Anyway, something I will never do for love: Eat at Charlie Chicken.

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011

My boyfriend does autocross (racing cars through a course). I have been to a couple races and I even rode along with him one time and it was a lot of fun. His good friend does it too, so I have to sit through a lot of conversations about it, too. But other than being supportive of his interests, I have no real interest in autocross. But it is really funny how many of his friends think I am going to be getting into it now since he does it. His good friend only dates girls who do it, and I don't think he always understands why I wouldn't want to get into it. Who wants to do every single thing with someone? I have my own hobbies. I don't expect him to go to scrapbooking and card making classes with me.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011

I DO love Top Gear! lol.

29. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

I have to put up with golf talk and golf TV on Sunday afternoon ( I retreat to a different room) and politics. I am interested in politics, but my DH goes on and on and on and .......

He happily goes along with whatever I do! He is just happy about everything.

30. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 22, 2011

I have to put up with Entourage, Green Day, golfing, his mother, our periodic table of elements shower curtain, and his XBox addiction (COD, NBA2k11).

He has to put up with Grey's Anatomy, my love of 103.5, my tacky math shirts, and my dragging him along to volunteer every saturday.

I think we come out even!

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

There's not a lot that we don't both love doing together. We're both sports people, we both like to read, and we both enjoy going to the gym. However, he does like golf and I don't. And, Alice, I understand the photography thing. Dh does that too.

Things that he has to put up with is my complaining about teaching every once in awhile and watching Dancing with the Stars.

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2011

We do most everything together. We have a lot in common...golf, camping, and boating are our 3 main hobbies. And anything we do with the kids.

<my apologies to Major now>
    But every now and then, I have to follow him through Cabelas, looking at stuff we can't afford and don't need. I try to be a good sport about it (and secretly, I almost enjoy it now that they have a better women's wear section). What drives me nuts about Cabelas is combing through the Bargain Barn. Crap that no one else wants that they throw into big bins. And what is really crappy is they don't mark the stuff down. Oh, no-it's still just regular priced crap.

But, he watches--or at least pretends to watch--Sex and the City with me every night before we go to bed. So I guess that's fair. Unless he secretly likes Manolo Blahniks. :lol:

33. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 22, 2011

:lol: He's just as bad. If I get up, he'll take ALL the pillows and pile them under his head :rolleyes: or if he's feeling like being really annoying he wraps himself up impossibly tight like a human burrito in the covers so I can't get back in. If our students could see how we act they'd NEVER take either of us seriously. :woot:

You should definately try to go to the range. My mom learned how to shoot a few years ago and she says it was a great experience. I went with my dad to a range when I was a teenager and it was very scary but a good learning experience, though i admit i feel like if i even LOOK at a gun wrong it's going to go off and kill me or someone else :eek:

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2011

kcjo, we now have a Cabela's in Colorado...... It's like Santa Claus time every month....... I have a new fly rod, flies, waders, and a bunch of other "gone fishing" stuff..... Can't wait.... to do some fly fishing here and up in Montana......:)

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011

I hate to go shopping (clothes) with Terri
    I look for a chair and I will just sit until she is finished
    and she hates Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor freight Terri will go to the garden shop and just wait for me She knows my routine I always end in the Garden shop

I go to my stories to just "window shop" and to get exercise walking around, in fact I go so often my Granddaughter calls Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor freight "Grandpa's stores"