I won!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by karebear76, Oct 14, 2011.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 14, 2011

I won a $100 Walmart gift card today! Yay me! I can use it to buy nutritious snacks or school supplies for my classroom.

What would you buy?

I know I will need copy paper this year, but I don't know if I should use it for that. I was given 2 boxes for the entire year (I've used one box for the first nine weeks).

I'd like to spend it on something more durable than a consumable supply if that makes sense. I already have a DVD player, VCR, TV, overhead, smartboard, CD player, listening center, and tons of resource books.

I'm excited but I don't know what to buy :)

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Oct 14, 2011

I won one too, last week! I gave it a lot of thought and I am going to get a small laminator and tons and tons of laminating film. (I teach a self-contained ASD class, though, so I go through it like water).

I also was having the great consumable vs. lasting debate, but I decided I'd rather spend on consumables, since I can take the big stuff with me if I buy it myself....

I really thought about buying most of a Wii though....

eta: when I saw the title of this thread, I got all excited 'cause I thought you'd won some battle with your admin or something! If only, huh.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 14, 2011

Congratulations! They drew names at my school a couple of weeks ago. Ten teachers were drawn and they were so excited! I don't know if many have used it yet. I know a couple bought things like colors, markers, etc. One bought a digital camera to use in the room. My co-worker is planning to use it to fund her Accelerated Math parties.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2011

CONGRATS!!!! That is cool to have!!!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 14, 2011

How did you win?

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2011

I thought the exact same thing, haha!

Congrats! I won one of those last year, I swear it's probably the only thing I've ever won before! It was fun to just go and pick stuff out!

I'd definitely buy the paper if I were you, because I'd be annoyed that I would have to pay for that myself otherwise. Plus, if you want to buy something more permanent, if you pay for it with your own money you could keep it if you ever switch schools. I'd rather spend their money on things I know will be used up anyway and spend my own money on things I could take with me. Thankfully my school doesn't track paper.

Last year here's what I bought:
    - Mini white boards, dry erase markers, and erasers
    -Party favor type things to use in my prize box
    -Folders notebooks, notebook paper, pencils, crayons, markers
    -Jenga (I ask them a question and then they pull one out), apples to apples jr, card decks, dice, dominoes
    -Kleenex

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 15, 2011

Thanks guys! I had to smile at what you first thought. If only is right. I wish they would see it from my point.

I probably will buy at least one box of paper. I agree on the permanant things now that you mention it. I was just trying to think of ways to make it last as long as possible. I definitely will buy some kleenex and hand sanitizer :) Sam's Club here I come for the big bottles LOL

BTW, Walmart selected my school and ten teachers won. My principal put everyone's names in a bucket and picked a winner for each grade level, all the specials, all the intervention teachers, and then everyone else for 2 others.