I Wish...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Sep 18, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2011

that all of the teacher-bashers that point fingers and blame could have seen me at the salon with foils in my hair and my math curriculum in my lap while everyone else enjoyed People magazine and the like.

What might you get caught doing to show how much personal time teachers invest?

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

Working the majority of the weekend at home, instead of really enjoying time with my babies.

Reading school books and doing planning while sitting outside during the summer, supervising my little ones while they are playing.

This is, of course, in addition to all the extra time spent AT school (over an hour and a half extra each day, outside of contracted time).

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

When I am sitting in the coffee shop with the laptop and books, it's school work and grading.

When I am reading a book at the beach, it's not for pleasure - I am probably teaching it the next semester.

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

If those same people only knew how much of our OWN money we can spend every year.

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

I work tech (computer, lights, etc.) at the children's ministry at our church. Between the 9 and 11 am service, I was sitting at the sound board, grading tests.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2011

Grading papers or planning at my son's sporting events. Or studying for my grad classes.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

Sitting here at school planning on a Sunday afternoon, after running a memorial 5K.

Sorting through the boxes of books at the library sale to pick out ones for our classroom library.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

Spending my Friday nite and most of Saturday organizing and analyzing data from last week's reading tests in order to write differentiated lesson plans for this next week. Then spending all of Sunday morning writing those lesson plans and aligning them to the CCstandards. That's the weekend.

10. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

I've taken "to be graded papers" on retreats and road trips. I usually spend my lunch feeding myself with one hand, grading/ lesson planning/ making copies with the other.

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 18, 2011

sorting beginning of the year paperwork on the beach! or typing lesson plans while my kids cheer outside!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 18, 2011

Sitting and grading papers at my son's soccer game.
    Lesson planning at my daughter's cheer games.
    Not going with my girlfriends on a four hour day trip of lunch and shopping because I had to do school work.
    Canceling on a girl's camping weekend a week before I was supposed to go because it would have caused too much stress in catching up on school work.

So in a nutshell, my close friends see how hard I work, and any attendees at my children's sporting events see how I squeeze it in when I can.

13. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

Going in to work on a Saturday from 12-6pm... only to get kicked out by the Principal!

Its something about pushing yourself to be the best you can to make sure that your students have the best.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

National Honor Society stuff at 4 am on a Saturday morning when I can't sleep.

(I tried coming on here, but I was the ONLY one here!!!)

15. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

using my birthday giftcard to barnes and noble to purchase the following
    The end of molasses classes
    and
    HOw Lincoln learned to read

to help me improve my teaching.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 18, 2011

The fact that while I make substantially less money now that I'm not teaching, but have substantially more discretionary funds, since I'm not spending so much of my own money on my classroom.

17. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

Correcting papers while waiting for car repairs.
    Taking time on every Sunday afternoon to plan for the week.
    Planning my house purchase around summer vacation, in fact, planning every major thing around vacations, report cards, and events at school.

18. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Sep 18, 2011

Going to a wine fest with my family on the weekend only to sit and plan for the upcoming weeks lessons...

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

If grades are due, then papers are being graded at home. Other than that, everything else is done at school. Nothing wrong with trying to leave work mentality at work.

20. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

Sitting outside with 3 other mothers on a Friday night as our children play. Myself and one other are grading papers while catching up with our friends.
    (The dads are usually playing with the kids :) )

21. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

I took papers to grade this weekend to my college's football game at Cowboy's Stadium.. I graded before and after the game.

I bring home my lesson plans and write the whole following week every Saturday... I do wish people could see the amount of work we put in. It's not like we jump up and go home at 3:30/4:00 every day like a lot of people think.

22. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

I've done grading in church before. Awesome.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

Drinking. Eating cheesecake when I know I shouldn't.

(Kidding.)

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 18, 2011

Leaving my Sundays free of any commitment because I always have way too much school work to accomplish ... hours and hours of work.

Spending a hefty chunk of my own money today for supplies for Homecoming dance decorations.

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2011

That was my thought too. I've already spent a few hundred dollars this year, and I'm not one of those people that's spending tons of money on cutesy decorations- it's stuff I have to have like pencils, notebooks, scissors, etc. I'd like to see what would happen if office managers started telling their employees they were going to be providing their own office supplies out of their own pockets...there would be an uprising. Yet teachers are just expected to do it no questions asked.

26. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Sep 22, 2011

I am grading papers and working on lesson plans while I am cooking dinner!

27. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Sep 22, 2011

Buying things for a class that doesn't exist - I'm back to subbing after some budget cuts.
    Looking up multiple grades' state standards and developing active lessons for tutoring students NOT in my class.
    Creating games and learning manipulatives for "someday"
    Taking masters courses and working 3 jobs to keep my certification current (and still pay my bills)
    Oh the list could go on...

The main thing: I wish I had my own classroom again!!

28. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Planning my honeymoon around the school calendar last year, and this year debating whether or not I can get away for a weekend with my DH for our first anniversary based on how much planning I have to do.

29. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 22, 2011

I wish they knew how my mind is almost always on my students and how I can better serve them. I wish they could see the tears I have shed from frustration over what some kids endure in life. I wish they could see the tears after parents are mean and hurtful over issues that should never be issues. I wish they could see how I never take the parents' nastiness and direct it towards their kids.

30. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Road trips with the hubby driving and I am in the passenger seat, grading papers.
    The math teacher at our school that spent 3 days a week for an entire semester tutoring a student. The student was trying to get into USMC and couldn't pass the math portion of the ASVAB. He is now a CPL in the USMC.
    Our contracted hours end at 3:30. I am usually here until 5:15 almost every afternoon.
    Getting so excited at a farm auction over the weekend because we bought a huge filing cabinet for my classroom - for $10.
    Scavenging for class materials at local yard sales and bringing home more for my classroom that for home.
    Spending countless hours this summer putting all my curriculum into a program for computer based testing.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2011

And let's not forget those things that don't exactly fall under the job description either-- like reviving a kid who has passed out while keeping 39 others under control. (THough I have to admit, both times recently that I've had kids pass out, the classmates were fabulous.)

32. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Sep 25, 2011

All the above, plus getting up at 7 AM on a day I'm home sick because I'm worried about having plans for the next week that will work even if I'm still out!

33. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2011

For me, it's sitting at the pool in the summertime writing lesson plans and making pacing guides for curriculums. People always wonder what I'm doing.