I wish

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by dcnuck, May 12, 2011.

1. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

May 12, 2011

I wish teachers would remember that just leaving lesson plans for a sub doesn't tell subs everything we need to know. I am a certified teacher who is having to sub this year and I love it when teachers leave me a detailed note about when they do this or that--like taking restroom breaks, lunch, where to pick them up from lunch, how kids get home, if there are kids that go to other classes throughout the day---stuff like that. Lesson plans do not tell me everything I need to know. Teachers also forget that just because they know what their abbreviation means doesn't mean a sub will know. Sorry just had to vent since I am really tired of subbing and really want a teaching job next year. When I do get my teaching job, if I ever need a sub I will leave a detailed note of what happens during the school day.:rolleyes:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

This conversation has been had many times here before....consider that sometimes teachers really are sick and drag themselves bleary eyed to the computer to write plans...other times there might be an emergency that dictates leaving short plans on the way out the door...be flexible as a sub...that flexibility will serve you well when you do get your own classroom.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 12, 2011

I put in as much detail in my sub plans as I can. I was stunned when a co-worker's plans for the day was less than 1 page. Mine are between 3-5 pages long. We do have assistants in our classroom who know our routine though, but I don't like my subs to depend on my assistants to tell them what to do. I also like my subs to take the lead in my class so that my students would listen to them.

5. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

May 12, 2011

I am very flexible as a sub and as a teacher and have taught for six years. Today it was a job that I knew about for almost two weeks now. Most of the jobs I have gotten have been ones I try and get ahead of time. I understand when it is all of a sudden but when it is planned it is just nice to have more details.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 12, 2011

You're correct. There are so many minor things that are unique to each classroom that teachers could probably fill a binder with them. Some things even boil down to terminology. Something as simple as having students transition into ELA can be "Take out your reading anthologies" or "Take out your reading books" or "Take out your Open Court books" etc. I've found that whichever word I use to describe the books is bound to be the wrong one, and the kids puzzle over and and eventually say..."OH! You mean the green book!" I once subbed in a classroom that referred to their reading anthologies as "Bob" for "Big Orange Book." Do you think I knew that before we went round and round?:lol:

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 12, 2011

I got hit hard with the flu this year. It was a real struggle to even find the strength to write sub plans when I had to.
    My sub folder has two parts. One part is plans for the day. The other includes things such as procedures and seating arrangements. I include where to find nurse passes, who sits in what group, dismissal rules, etc.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 13, 2011

I understand what you're saying, I really do. But please, until you've walked a mile in someone's shoes, please be careful of what you say. Even the most planned days can creep up on a teacher. This is a very busy time of year for all of us. Maybe something came up and plans had to change. Maybe she forgot. Maybe she was so focused on state testing she had no time to do something better.

The point is, it's really easy to say "I will leave a detailed note" now...the actual application might not be so easy.

If you're really upset, just don't sub for that teacher again.

9. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

May 14, 2011

Some teachers have their sub plans formatted on the computer where procedures and classroom information are already typed up. They save it on their flash drives and then add their academic plans to that when they need to be out. They are not forced to type long plans every time, and subs have the information they need.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

We sub internally, so I'm an outsider looking in on this one.

But I think I can see a little of the OP's point.

The actual lesson plans are one thing-- they sometimes HAVE to be thrown together when circumstances don't allow you the time to do something better.

But perhaps it DOES make sense for all of us to anticipate being out and have a sub folder with a seating chart and a list of general procedures. (For example, elementary teachers would want to include a list of allergies.)

While the actual material fluctuates from day to day, the info on how the class runs basically stays the same for the whole year. So it would only have to be done once per year, with the occasional update as the classroom situation changes. She's not asking how to factor a trinomial, she's asking who picks up the kids from lunch.

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

May 14, 2011

I wish we had "like" buttons.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 14, 2011

It wasn't until after one of these threads that I created my sub folder with all of those details. Before that I left the basic plans, a seating chart, and a list of students to keep an eye on and ones who would be the most helpful. I subbed for 4 years before I was hired and figured I was doing a phenomenal job because my plans were more detailed than the occasional stickie note that other teachers would leave on the TEs.

I feel much more organized and helpful now that I have that little folder. I actually have two, one stays in the office with the secretary just in case there was an emergency where I couldn't come in to put the folder out.

13. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

May 14, 2011

Thank you that is exactly what I mean. I love having lesson plans---there have been several times I have not had ANY plans whatsoever---one time the AP gave me a stack of worksheets and that was it--I had to wing it for the day and depend on the kids for times of lunch and things like that. I really love it when a teacher has left in a sub folder their schedule for the day--then I don't have to wonder do I pick them up from lunch--do they come to me on their own--who goes to a special class at what time? It just makes the day go smoother.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 14, 2011

I have a sub folder, so it has all the detailed info that a sub could want...Probably more.

15. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

May 14, 2011

My school forces all of us to keep a sub folder. We all have a red folder with a big "Substitute Folder" sticker on the front. The office staff gives us copies of bell schedules, absentee sheets, emergency procedures, etc. At the beginning of each year, they give us updated copies of anything. All teachers have to type up their procedures and create 3 days worth of emergency plans for those times when you call in and have no time to create new sub plans. I keep mine filled with grammar worksheets and some state test review packets so that my kids will have something meaningful to work on. It may not be a part of a current unit, but it is something productive.

16. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 15, 2011

In my 14 years of subbing, I would estimate that less than 25% of the time, the teachers leave their methods for handling disciplinary issues, or list students to keep an eye on.
    In about half the classes, this information is on a poster, but the rest of the time I use my own common sense.
    It is also not uncommon for me to walk into a classroom without being able to find a single pen and/or pencil in or around the teachers' desk.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Bring your own.

Last year I was out sick for a week. I left good plans and a sub binder with every possible bit of information a sub could want. I returned to school with plans undone and a big plastic tote full of unsharpened pencils (for students to use when they forget theirs) broken in half. I don't leave any of my personal items out when I know I'll have a sub. All my personal items are locked up tight in my desk. I leave a generic ballpoint pen or two, highlighter, pencil, and dry erase marker in a pencil pouch inside my sub binder. If a sub wants a fancier writing utensil or if the ones I've left are out of ink or something, I don't really know what to say.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 15, 2011

As a sub-teacher, I have a huge purse I carry with the following items:
    - a big binder with several sections:
    - disciplinary "things" - I have copies of different papers the student will read and write if sent out of the classroom (regarding talking, respect, etc)
    - disciplinary "thing" for newcomers - similar papers, simplified for newcomer students, detention forms translated into Arabic, also notecards in Arabic as a positive reward i pass out to students.
    - worksheets for history, math, English, a lot of things I picked up along the way. I was told to always have lesson plans with me, or activities the students can do, but honestly I don't see how that could work. I can't carry around 150 worksheets everyday, just in case, so 10-15 will not do much.
    - plastic sheet protectors - I put the seating chart in these so I can wrote on them with dry erase pens.
    - my own clipboard
    - my own pencils, pens, erasers, dry erasers, a flash drive with a lot of forms and worksheets
    - calculator, a cd with classical music. If the have a cd player or leave the computer, I play it during silent work, tests, etc
    - timer
    - I even have a small bag of essentials, such as deodorant, hairbrush, hair tie, etc :)
    This way I feel prepared - I have been t classrooms without supplies and it was frustrating. My purse is big enough to have all this fit and a lunch bag, and water :)

A lot of teachers already have all the classroom procedures, rules and policies typed up and saved, and when they need a sub, they just add the info for the day. I think it's really smart, very informative and time saving. Some schools have a folder in the office they give us, with the teacher's schedule, emergency procedures, where to find stuff, phone numbers!!! (office, AP, other classrooms) - and in some schools this info is not provided, especially in elementary.

19. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 15, 2011

What you leave is fine. Just a cheap funtioning pen and pencil is all I ask for.

20. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 15, 2011

Another helpful item for us would be instructions on how to turn on the ELMO projector.
    At least half the time, all that is required is to press two buttons. But sometimes there are extra steps involved which seem to vary from ELMO to ELMO. I sometimes have to get help from other teachers or from the school tech guy.

21. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

May 16, 2011

Teachers that teach elementary really need to have a sub folder on their desk because these classes are so busy and the sub really need a schedule. Luckly, for me all the districts I sub in require all of their teachers to have a sub folder. I do find it poor planning if I take an assignment for a teacher who knew they was going to be out all week long. As for materials, I always carry my own, pens, pencils, stapler, etc., because I don't like going through a teacher's desk looking for nothing.

22. Hifiman

Hifiman Rookie

May 16, 2011

I agree about the ELMO

In my class when I have a sub (middle school) I leave detailed instructions, including the operation of the ELMO, which more often then not I leave on for them anyway (and the LCD) since even at my sickest I will still be at school in the morning getting the room set up. I also make sure the subs know that if the power to the LCD and ELMO goes out they need to look on the side of a counter at one end of the classroom because this means a student flipped the switch to turn the power off up front. I had that happen to me once and it was days of waiting for power to be restored before I found out some kid did that to me. At least one sub left a note thanking me for that info because a kid turned the power off on them.

23. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 16, 2011

My district has a strict technology policy for subs. Subs aren't allowed to use computers or our ConVa system. It's difficult for both planning and when a sub is in the room. I'd love it if subs with a good reputation could use the same technology as regular classroom teachers. I'm guessing one sub abused the use and that's why it stopped.

24. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 16, 2011

I know I missed a few things, but I did always have a paper at the front of my sub folder with info like: where are the adult restrooms, the fridge that they can use for their lunch/how to obtain a school lunch if necessary; which teachers to go to if they need help; where to put your purse, etc... Sometimes we forget that it may be the subs first time to the school, or heck, not even the first time and they don't know where to find these things.

As a sub, I know I appreciate knowing these very basic things.

25. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

May 16, 2011

I was very sick today, but I managed to send an email with details to my administrator and assistant. That being said, I have also woken up to puking kids and was lucky to get a sub request in between holding hair and cleaning up puke.

26. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 17, 2011

Usually the ELMO does not involve using the computer, and should be a simple device.
    My biggest problem is getting it to project once it is turned on.

I press the power button on both the projector and the illuminator, but often all I get is a blue screen.

Some classes are very difficult without the ELMO because there is sometimes no where else to write.
    Teachers sometimes have the boards covered with stuff, and I am reluctant to erase it, or to take stuff down.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

My document camera connects to my computer and displays through my mounted LCD projector. You can't use it unless you're logged into the computer as well.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

I was going to agree with Caesar. But Oops, now that I think about it, I was wrong. I used the ELMO in the classroom across the hall while her computer was out being fixed. sorry!

29. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 18, 2011

I've seen some with no computer. These are usually the ones mounted on the ceiling , however.

30. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 19, 2011

I gotta say, I do hate it when the lesson plan involves the smart board. The dang thing will never work and you spend forever trying to calibrate it or it won't open the lesson you need it to. Pain in the butt. It might be easy for you, but not for those of us who don't use it everyday.

31. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 20, 2011

I agree.
    It takes practice to coordinate your hand movements to how the marks appear on the screen. i have failed the few times i have tried.