I wish there was a website where

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pencil Monkey, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 17, 2010

Teachers could anonymously share information about what it is like to work at a school, what the salary and benefits are really like, what the administration is really like, and so on. I guess what I'm saying is I am really curious why the school that just hired me had several openings to fill all at once. But I'm afraid to ask. I am probably just having self confidence issues right now. And after the hell I went through at my last school....I just have to wonder if the teachers that will be hired to replace me have any clue what they are in for.:unsure:

3. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

Have you tried googling your school, just to see what comes up?

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 17, 2010

i've googled and read the entire charter petition. The only pieces of the puzzle I'm finding is that there has been an administration change.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2010

I agree with you about this. It would be nice to have a website like "rate My Professors" where you can sift through the ratings and comments to help yourself decide with more information.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2010

If there has been a recent administrative change, that could explain a number of vacancies. Very often an outgoing administrator takes some teachers with them to their new school or other employees who really liked the administrator move to other schools because they don't want to deal with an unknown new administrator. (that has always seemed silly to me because if you switch schools because your favored administrator has left, aren't you going to have to get used to a new one at the next school?!)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2010

I would love a website like that!

8. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I often go to www.greatschools.org to get the gist of schools. It's reviews written by parents, students and a few teachers. Great schools often rates the schools on a scale of 1-10 as well. If there are dissatisfied parents and students reviews, I assume not everything in the school is going well.

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

Maybe you have hit upon a new money-making activity...:lol:

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

A lot of times the people who post at those sites are either really disgruntled or super happy -- so you don't get a true reading of what the school might be like.

11. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I interviewed with a school that had four openings (this was a small school.) I was a bit nervous, however in the interview they mentioned that they just happened to have four teachers retiring. All four teachers had taught over 15 years at the school. (The state had just changed retirement ages, so this could have played a role.)

Do you know if the state you're in changed the retirement ages? You could also look at the archive of the school website. That might give you an idea if the teacher population is relatively steady or not. http://www.archive.org/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010

I would love a site like that, too. I would like it to be just for teachers and staff, though. Not sure how that could be handled.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

I tried to post about a former school on greatschoosl and they rejected it-they said there was no way to verify the information. Uh, how can you verify ANY opinion??

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 17, 2010

What a great idea for a website! :D I was told the position I was hired for was due to a retirement. She actually said, "The position is not open b-c we ran someone out of here." :lol: I wonder about the person that will be replacing me. I'll start lighting candles for them. I did leave my name and phone in my top desk drawer for the new person so they can call if they have questions about lessons, procedures, etc...

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2010

I think the problem with sites like ratemyteacher.com or the one you're proposing is that they deal wtih extremes.

My son had a fine year in middle school. No major ups or downs. And it would never occur to me to go to greatschools.com and mention that.

But if I weren't such a professional, I would LOVE to go and blast my daughter's teacher.

So all the teachers who enjoy going to work most days would probably never comment. The ones you would hear from would be the ones with an axe to grind. It still wouldn't give you an accurate portrayal of the school.

16. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 18, 2010

Admin changes aren't always bad. We have a wonderful p at the school where i will work, everybody has wonderful things to say about her. There was a major change in about October of last year, but everybody agrees it is for the better. There were a lot of positions open this year. Many got jobs closer to home, moved out of state because of Air Force husbands, and we also added a 7th grade this year so a bunch of new teachers were needed.

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I'd love a website like that!

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 18, 2010

I wish there was some professional and accurate way that this could be implemented. It's much needed. We have to sign contracts and turn our lives over to a place for 9 months (and if you break the contract your career life could be over), so it would be great to know a little more about what you are getting yourself into. Your "research" is done as an outsider so it's never the same as talking to an insider.

I had no clue until after the fact. That is when some of the best and most respected veteran teachers from some of the toughest schools said even they wouldn't attempt to work at my former school. I had not a single warning before hand. It almost destroyed my life.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 30, 2010