I wish nobody had to endure this, but we do.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 9, 2008

I had a student pass away this morning from my very first class. She was thirteen years old and in the eighth grade. The circumstances were quite traumatic. She was struck by a truck walking to her bus stop. I was crushed when I found out because she seemed to have a great life ahead of her... and I value all my students like family.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...l+held+for+girl+killed+by+truck+near+bus+stop

This afternoon, I went to her vigil because I pass that area on my way home. That's the first time I got really emotional because I held it in all day long. When they sung Amazing Grace, I felt the greatest deal of emotion because the last time I really sung that song through and through was at the time of my grandmother's funeral 2 1/2 years ago.

My current students were very sad today... though they didn't even know her. Yet I cannot believe one of my former students passed away... she was so young and everything was so sudden.

I wrote a dedication to her in my journal, though it is private. Thanks for reading. I feel this has been one challenge of a day.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2008

Wow, MsJ, I'm sorry to hear this. It is very tragic!! I will pray for her family, the school family, and you. I know its even more emotional now since she was from your first class. :hugs:

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 9, 2008

I know; I wrote the same thing in my journal that she was a part of my very cherished (seriously, they could do no wrong!) first class! Again, it's just been a really long day- the school wanted to keep it from me until the end of the day, but I found out around 10:00 this morning.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

:sorry: What a coincidence. On the news today, in my county, an elementary aged boy was killed by a car at an intersection on his way to school. They showed his picture & he looked like a nice boy.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 9, 2008

That's awful. I am also very livid to an extent because now the bus compound is being swarmed with complaints (and to extents, I understand why, seeing safety is such a huge issue in so many places). I am also livid that this person was not watching the road, but who knows what was going on from her point of view? She apparently didn't realize what was going on, either. I feel sad that this tragedy could not be avoided because a girl who also attended our elementary school at the same time was she was telling her to move, and she couldn't hear her.

7. msmath

msmath Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Horrible. This stuff truly breaks my heart. ((((HUGS))) and good thoughts to you, her family, and her friends. :( I'm so sorry..

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Oh, what a tragedy. I am thinking of you, your students and school, and especially the girl's family.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

Oh, my, how horrible :hugs: I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

10. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear about this, and sorry that you are having to go through this. I can't even imagine what it must be like. Thoughts and hugs, MsJasztal!!!

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 9, 2008

I'm so sorry! That is terrible news! HUGS!

12. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

I'm so sorry this hits so close to home for you. I was saddened when I heard the news, and can only imagine what the kids who saw this accident are going through.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

:hugs:

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

What a tragedy. For everyone involved.

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2008

Very sad..........:(:(

16. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

:hugs: to you! You're going to need it! I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened. I have delt with similar, though in my school not my personal classroom. In one year we lost one student "naturally" (he got pnomonia and his body couldn't handle it, he was severly disabled to begin with) and a second student was murdered. It was very hard both times on the students close to them and to the faculty, close or not! I know something that helped the students of the boy who was murdered was to write letters to him. He was in 1st grade. His classmates spent a whole day writting letters to him and talking about him...crying with the teacher. The teacher gave the letters to his father at the visitation. Later that year they had a "good bye" party for him and another classmate who was moving. The teacher got cupcakes and balloons in school colors and they let the balloons go outside as a final goodbye. Mabe your students could write letters to the child, or even to her family. It's a way to begin healing. :hugs: again!

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

Sorry to hear this Mrs. J. We have had things similar happen here and it is so tough for so many.

18. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

You have my deepest sympathy, and condolences. I lost a student, 7th grader, to suicide two years ago. I just found out today that a girl who I had as a 7th grader three years ago passed away Monday from cancer.

We will be praying for you.

19. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

Terrible. I saw it on the news, but I didn't make the connection that she might have been one of your kids. :(

I'm very sorry.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2008

I am sorry to those who have lost. I love my kids and pray for them all.

That makes me think about a girl who could be in fourth grade now- she passed in first grade due to heart failure. Right now, she could be by our side in our awesome class(es)! Anyway, God has His reasoning for everything...

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2008

I am so sorry to hear this; it must be hard to go through. There was a student that would have been in my class this year, but he was murdered by his uncle when visiting in Florida. It was so sad to see him lying there with bruises still on his face.:mad::mad:

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2008

I'm very sorry for your loss :(

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 11, 2008

This is a terrible thing to go through. I'm so sorry for everyone's loss.

It just hurts so much to lose a child.

24. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 11, 2008

This reminds me of when I was in highschool. I swear sometimes my school was plagued. From my 8th grade year till I graduated we had like 15 students/teachers pass away. Some were recent graduates that a lot of us knew, some coaches. They were all very random as well, none of them were related to violence. It was especially hard b/c it was a small town. My thoughts go out to your class and school.

25. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 11, 2008

oh, i'm so sorry.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 11, 2008

I read that and tears (littlerly) are running down my face as I write this. This is so sad for you to have to go through! This just goes to show us that life is short and we should take nothing for granted! I know that has to be hard on many people! I will be thinking of you and praying for you!

27. coffeeteacher

coffeeteacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

I live near you and heard this story well. It is so sad and it home for me because I was hit by a car the first day of 7th grade walking home from my bus stop. Obviously, I was luck and lived through the experience.

I am so sorry you have been effected by this. You will be in my thoughts.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

Like the others so sorry for all of you that have lost students. I know we had a student that was killed a couple weeks before school started on a family vacation. Even though I subbed I really enjoyed this student & her family is friends with mine as well. UGH it's just so tough!!!

You will all be in my thoughts & prayers!!!

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 13, 2008

The service will be Sunday night, and hopefully we will have a little more closure... though this is a devastating time and it's been all over the news/radio in Florida/Internet. There's a photo album of her, also.

http://www.legacy.com/SPTimes/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=117206732

I believe the third picture is from the year she had me- it looks familiar...

Picture #4 is now, and she looks so incredibly grown up...

It's going to be hard. Also, a lot of parents are very angry with transportation in our county right now.

30. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

My thoughts are with you and the family

31. 2teach1

2teach1 New Member

Sep 15, 2008

I had a student die in a car crash one year, and it was devastating. I still get really emotional right now as I write.

Thoughts and prayers.

32. nancy sv

nancy sv Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I am so very sorry. I feel the same way about my students - they are my kids!

33. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

There are no real words to express my sympathy.. my thoughts go out to you and her family.