I Wish My Grocery Store was Like This!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB5jeS7DWaI

Skip to 5:24 minutes in. The way everything's self-serve is so great to me! I mean yes, there's self-serve check-out stores in my area, but the difference is, with mine, you still have to take everything out one by one & scan it at the end. Hers, you can leave the items in the bag because you scanned it as you shopped.

Plus, all the variety of produce is massive! :)

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 15, 2014

It sounds good, and while this may sound offensive, think of all the old people! I have seen old people take ages on the self-checkout as it is. They could be in the market for days! And if they scan something wrong by mistake, forget about it!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 15, 2014

Our grocery store has the hand held scanner so you can scan the items as you shop! You can even weigh your produce and print out a sticker for scanning. I love it.

I do find that some people who have no clue what they are doing take up lots of time. I have helped more than one person figure out how to work the self checkers. They think I am being helpful but really I just want them to hurry up LOLOL

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2014

TeacherNY, that's nice that your store does this.

6. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

All the grocery stores in my area have these, but I rarely see anyone use them. There's always a lot of technology problems with them, and they frequently take longer than a regular check-out.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

One Giant near my school has the handheld scanners. I've never used it though, because I've never bought more than 3 items at a time from that store.

Based on the description, I'm guessing that TeacherNY goes to a Wegmans. Which makes me jealous, because I LOOOOOVE Wegmans. We actually have one fairly close, but it's hard to justify going to a Wegmans 20 minutes when I have Giant, Aldi, and a Super Walmart all within walking distance, and a Super Target, Food Lion, and another Giant within a three minute drive... no matter how much I love Wegmans :(

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

Seriously? That is offensive. Why is it so acceptable to make fun of or make assumptions about old people?

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

It may be offensive, but if I have to choose a self check-out line behind a 65 year old or behind a 25 year old, I'm going with the 25 year old every time. It's a generalization, but the younger a person is, the better they seem to do with self check-out lanes. Younger people tend to adapt to new technology better.

10. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 16, 2014

Exactly. It may not be politically correct, but it is what it is. Orangetea, I understand that you are very sensitive about a variety of topics, and sorry to offend you, but let's be real about this. My own grandparents poke fun at themselves about this. I've also seen an older man at the Quick Chek say, when told by the clerk to try the self checkout, "Yeah right, if I try that thing, we'll be here all day!"
    Sure there are many exceptions and able older folks, but it's the same reason you would want people beyond a certain age to pass another driving test before getting on the road.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

http://www.alfa.org/alfa/Ageism.asp

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I have seen super quick elderly people at the self checkouts and very slow younger people. It is basically the point of KNOWING what they are doing. A young person can stand there forever and just not figure out what to do (I have helped a few people figure out how to ring up some apples!!). I still didn't see anything offensive in the above post...if my 90 year old grandpa was ahead of me I would automatically think, "oh boy this is going to take a while"!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Nope, not Wegmans. They don't have any of those stores around here.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

OK PEOPLE... LET IT GO!

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2014

The fact is, the hand scanners make checkout faster for ANYONE . A LOT faster. Plus, you know what your total charge is going to be before you get to the checkout line, which is always nice. The Stop n' Shop here near me is like that, and even though some of their items are overpriced I kind of like going there.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

The handheld scanners are also good because you can see exactly what the price of the items are. I know that I have gotten to the register a few times and something rang up higher than I thought (things put on the wrong shelf, etc). It also adds up your items so you know what your total will be. If the total is higher than what my budget is I know I have to put back hubby's ice cream!