I Wish More People Understood Kinder

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 17, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

1st we have a program where the theme is just way, way over a 5-year old's head. We spent hours trying to find activities for them to do that would be meaningful-it just felt like no one considered us in the decision of a school-wide theme.

I've complained before about the fact that it's data, data, data-we have to give graded multiple choice tests and then our report cards are 1, 2, 3--developmental grading. It just doesn't translate.

I just wish more people in command understood ECE. I really do think it's a different world.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

Especially when a good portion hasn't had any school experience at all and is still learning about being in a group and how to go to school.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 17, 2011

i hear you! today I sat in a meeting where we were told to dress more professionally. um ok. I am painting every day, or laying around on a beanbag chair reading a book, or TYING shoes at ground level, really dress more professioinally?

sorry.. ranting.

People who do not teach early childhood, they will never "get it"

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2011

Kinder... it's funny that the admin & people in education know that K isn't just fun & games, especially when people still think that!!! Plus, how many K's attention can the admin hold for longer than 3 mins when there are 25 in there?!?!? That is a big class.

Wow that stinks about your report cards as well!!!

I didn't teach K... I student taught K & subbed A LOT in K so I can totally get behind what you are saying!!!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2011

I had to giggle at your tying shoes... UGH... After student teaching, I subbed & would tell my class that I am a champion shoe tyer & crayon peeler... LOL!!!

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 20, 2011

I totally agree. I got to sit in on a half day professional development on Conferring on Students reading... really. Really? What a waste of time. I mean, some read but not books that need clarification and they don't have the stamina to read long periods of time to have a DEAR or SSR time!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 20, 2011

I was lucky. My P used to be a K teacher.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2011

I would totally back you guys up if I was your P. I could write an entire dissertation on how we've strayed so very, very far from age appropriate expectations in kinder. I hope that the pendulum will swing back the right direction very, very soon.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

I think I have mentioned this before but a few years ago my girls found my K report card and they died laughing. I was graded on
    *knowing my mother's name
    *knowing my father's name (which I didn't because he always, always went by a nickname)
    *knows colors
    *knows shapes
    *can tie shoes

etc . . . . and I did, way back in 1968, go to K all day and had a blast :)

Hopefully, your P will at some point consult with you

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 20, 2011

My mom never let me live down the fact I got an "N" in cutting. (I'm a leftie and they only had right-handed scissors). All I remember about the experience was snack time (you wanted to be one chosen to go get the milk).

Times they have changed.

12. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Oct 20, 2011

Kindergarten, so misunderstood

Our curriculum is ridiculous and not age-appropriate either. The very first week we introduce sight words and a fix-it-up sentence to kids who can't even write their names, let alone recognize any of the letters. Within the first five weeks, we've introduced adjectives(as describing words), nouns(as naming words), and verbs(as action words) too! Kindergarten is extremely demanding on these kids and their behavior reflects just that! Most of these kids have no real background knowledge for many of the things we teach. I have two students who are 11 months and 9 days apart. With such extreme age differences, it's no wonder some are not physically and mentally ready for kindergarten and we're expected to work miracles!:help:

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2011

Compared to most teachers, I wasn't in kinder THAT long ago (I'm 23) but even I'm shocked at what a difference it is between what the kids are learning now and what we learned. I actually see that in all grades. I did my regular ed student teaching in 3rd grade and I swear their curriculum was practically the same exact thing I did in 6th grade when I was in elementary school- I could remember doing a ton of the stuff I taught to the 3rd graders in my 6th grade class! We didn't even really learn to read in kinder- that wasn't until 1st grade. We just did letters and sounds and things. We had "journals" we wrote in and I remember thinking I was writing these big stories, and I look at it now (my mom kept it, haha) and it's hilarious because it's seriously a jumble of letters. I remember last year I walked into our kinder room at some point in the winter and the kids were doing 6+ x=10 and problems like that. I couldn't believe it- I knwo it's an extremely simplified form, but I never did anything like that in ANY grade of elementary. And then the teacher was getting upset with them because they kept saying 16..."I don't know where you're getting that answer" well duh, it has a plus sign and they added the numbers together!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 20, 2011

I didn't experience a traditional k program. I was in a multi-age classroom. they had a lot of authentic learning experiences but I didn't experience centers until I started out as a para.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 20, 2011

My parents say that a lot too-I can't believe they have to learn so and so-we didn't learn that until 2nd Grade.

I remember reading somewhere (and I wish I could remember where) that 20 years ago about 20% of kids going from Kinder to 1st could read (they were considered the "advanced" kids). Now the expectation, at least for us, is that all kids not only be reading-- but reading 30 wpm by the end of Kinder. It's just unbelievable to me. But I also work for people who believe the earlier you introduce the kids to it, the better. That's just not how it works when you're trying to lay a foundation.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 20, 2011

I agree, for the most part, about introducing lots of things, it is the idea that they have to master so much when they are still figuring out what things are and how they fit into the world around them that drives me crazy.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 20, 2011

Here's a good analogy. I had to take a computer class in high school. It was mostly about programming languages. How was I supposed to be ready to receive that information when I had never been on a computer and didn't know how to turn it on much less what it was used for. I can pass the class but without the prior foundations of computer applications, there was no chance of true mastery or understanding. Pushing too soon may introduce a concept earlier but without laying the proper foundation, it doesn't have lasting results. Furthermore, it can lead to students permanently putting up barriers or lasting confusion. I have seen this happen with just the computer example.

Algebraic examples are abstract concepts. People need to take Human Growth and Development classes to get back to understanding the cognitive stages of development.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 21, 2011

Oh I hear you. My generation did not have kindergarten, or preschool. You learned from your parents, and no one learned to read until First Grade. By the time we got to 12th grade, we were equal to the present 12th graders.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 21, 2011

My 3 children are all roughly 3 years apart. My first went to Kinder and was expected to know many things (the teachers thought then) but he "learned to read" in Kinder. My second was expected to know how to add and subtract and read on the way in. Luckily my preschool does accomplish that...so we were ok. After you got in you were learning fast and disjointed things.

My third is in 2nd gr now. She reading in her grade level right now and has been on grade level for Kinder and 1st based on the Accelerated Reading Star Tests. However, she keeps getting pull out assistance.....for being "delayed". I can't win! Apparently neither can they.

20. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Oct 22, 2011

I teach Pre-K and sadly I have parents asking me when are they going to read! Why the rush???? My curriculum dictates that I introduce sight words (which I do not believe are developmentally appropriate!!) but I do it. One parent asked me if I go over the sight words in class because when she goes over them at home, her child looks as though she never saw them before. Of course I review them in class but they are not ready for them yet!! Don't get me wrong, some children are ready and they will pick up on them, but the children who do not yet know their letters and/or sounds, why would admin AND parents think they are ready for sight words? I feel like we are fighting a losing battle. We used to say that Kindergarten is the old first grade but now I feel like there is pressure for pre-K to be the new first grade. We are pushing these children too hard too fast. The outcomes won't be good!