I wish I didn't care

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lobo, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

This summer we have a new principal and she has called us in for several meetings this summer. They are optional of course since we aren't on contract.

I feel obligated to attend every meeting and follow up with all the tasks she lays out.

In addition, she lets us into our classrooms to begin setting up. I probably spend 4 days a week at the school.

I'm beginning to resent some of my coworkers who refuse to come to school before our first contract day. I wish I didn't care so much and could enjoy my summer!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2013

It's not about 'caring so much'. It's about categorizing 'work time' and 'personal time'. You are not under contract in the summer and your P knows that. While you may be feeling more informed and organized by going in 4 days a week, others find their summer days are needed for rest, reflection and rejuvenation.Many do some planning and preparation at home on vacation. Some may be working summer jobs. Others are taking courses. Many are enjoying much needed time off with family. Just keep in mind that going in is YOUR CHOICE and not going in is the choice of many of your colleagues. No need to feel resentment.. ...only you know what is going to help you be ready when school starts.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 6, 2013

You do what you need to do for yourself, but here is the other side of it.

The other teachers may resent you for going into school for work-related meetings because it sets a bad precedent. They may see what you are doing as undermining their time off making them look bad for not wanting to give their un-contracted summer vacation to the principal.

I agree that what you are doing may help you and the school, but for those that believe that their unpaid summer break is their time, you may come out looking like the brown-noser who they resent.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2013

You need to set yourself some boundaries. If you want to work, go in one or two days a week. In my personal opinion, caring about your job and wanting to do your best does not mean you have to work 24/7 and miss out on your summer.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 6, 2013

I wouldn't go in without comp time, but that's just me.

My usual protocol is to see what my teammates are doing. If everyone's on the same page, everyone's a lot happier in the end.

7. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

I guess I just see that there are going to be a lot of changes and I feel like I need to contribute and be informed.

I guess I'm somewhat resentful because some of the time that we went in was considered team planning. We did get paid for this and there were certain team members who refused to come in which created more work for those that did show up.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2013

I use to feel that way, but as I've come to know teachers better, I have changed my mind. Teaching is one profession that a lot can be done from home, and no one knows how much is being done there. Two years ago, I felt it was necessary to spend a lot of time before school to set up my classroom. This summer, I feel that much of my preparing is better to be done at home. When it comes to non-contract time, do whatever works best for you, and allow the other teachers to do the same. Professionals deserve that type of freedom.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2013

I'm not impressed with this comment...I understand how compelling it is to you to have to go in as much as you can...been there, done that.

Like some of the other posters said,you kind of need to find a good compromise between work and home life...you don't want to get burned out before school starts.

My school is under construction, so I don't have a room to go to this summer. Plus, I don't know what age group I will have, so major planning is out of the question. So, I am forced to stay home and play!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2013

I definitely agree with this. My summers are often filled with vacations and family visits. Last summer we went on a 5,600-mile roadtrip across the country. I wouldn't have been able to come in to school for a meeting even if I had wanted to.

I also see where this is coming from. At my school there are teachers who look at other teachers in this way. It's something to be mindful of, for sure.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 6, 2013

I might have gone in to a couple of the meetings (to be honest, only because I'm on a total sucking-up campaign to my dept chair to get my classes changed. :p) but I couldn't work in my room this early. I wouldn't even have anything to do in there. My room goes from empty to ready-for-students in about 4 hours total, so there's no way I'd just be hanging out because the room's open.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2013

There are teachers who care more than others. There are those who don't come in because they don't have to and those that don't because they don't care to. There's a huge difference.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Yep. And there are those that come in because they feel obligated, those that want to, and those that do it to suck-up.

I'm not putting any person in any category, just mentioning that these categories exist.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2013

Plus those who want to but can't and those who wouldn't mind but believe that they should be compensated fairly for their time.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

I'd go in. I work at a Catholic school so I don't get paid for any extra stuff. I understand it comes with the job.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2013

I would not attend "several" meetings. Nope.

17. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 6, 2013

That is the complete opposite than what my P expects. In fact, we are banned from the school during the whole month of July, and there is no airconditioning from the week after school lets out until the second week in August. We do have 4 comp days we have to come in for. Usually done in August.

I enjoy my summers off, and with 3 young children at home I wouldn't be able to go in anyway. However, I do know that many of my coworkers work at home. I can see it in their Pinterest Boards.:)

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

I will be jumping through all hoops available until I get tenure. :whistle: So I will be joining you on the unpaid meeting circuit...:|

I truly don't have to. I don't fear retaliation from my admin or anything, but I just feel like I should. Don't resent your colleagues for not coming in though. I have no right to judge the teachers that don't come in, just like they have no right to judge me.

You want to spend your summer in the pool? Fine.

I want to spend mine in my classroom.

Everybody wins.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

Personally, if there's a training/meeting scheduled during the summer and I don't have anything else planned that day, I'll attend.

If it's scheduled on a day that I have other things going on, I don't feel guilty about not going.

I used to feel like I had to attend every single optional PD that was offered. I no longer feel that way! :2cents:

20. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

I guess some of this stems from things that happened during the school year. There are two teachers who refused to do anything extra. They didn't carry their share of the load and that's what I feel is occurring this summer.

One of the teachers was in my grad classes and she was in my group. She decided to miss the last day of class to leave on vacation, which left the rest of the group with extra work.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

I agree with the posters who said that the summer is yours, you do what you want with it; and only you know how much time you need to spend at school.
    I did go in for 1 week, 4-5 days for a few hours, because I wanted to make some rearrangements, and still have to get rid of stuff. I will go in just 1 day this money. I'm glad that I'm gone out of the area / country for the who month of July, otherwise I'd probably go in more than I need to.
    In August however, I'll probably spend a few hours almost every day to get ready. I don't think any teacher will be mad at me, they know this is my first year, and the teachers are pretty cool anyways.

22. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 6, 2013

Our school is virtually closed off to teachers during the summer. We have to totally remove all of our stuff from our rooms, turn in our keys, and be gone. We don't go back until 1.5 weeks before school starts. We are not allowed to set up before then. Our meetings start about 2 weeks before school, but they are all held at the central office.

What your principal is doing is an anomaly and not the norm. So while you might resent your colleagues, you are actually a rare exception, most teachers are at home.

I use my summer vacation to earn extra money mowing lawns with my mom (not fun when you are 34 weeks pregnant) as well as doing "teacher stuff"--namely planning. I have also been vacationing, which I can NOT do during the school year. People in other professions get paid weeks of vacation, I do that over the summer (unpaid) in between planning lessons, spending time with my small children, and getting money from outside jobs.

But not to look like I'm entirely devoted to working and being a teacher before anything else. I spend about half the summertime sitting by my pool, heading to the beach (about 20 mins. away), reading, playing violin/cello/flute for personal gratification, shopping, or taking naps. Guess all of that makes up for the total loss of practically all personal time during the school year.

But I do plan and I do work for money. I don't get paid from the school system during the summer, I'm not contracted with them during the summer, and so I'm not sitting at the school during the summer either. If I did, I'd be sitting outside on the curb just staring at the building because they wouldn't allow me in unless it was just to chit chat with office personnel.
    Other teachers do professional development workshops, attend personal enrichment workshops, etc.

23. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 6, 2013

4 days a week at school in the summer? Oh, no! I wouldn't go!

24. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 6, 2013

We have three days to put in before pre-school meetings start in August. I used to be in for more than the three, but now I get my three done by the hour - 3-4 hours here and there. They do not make us clock in, etc., but we are professionals and should put in the time as required. I have attended a couple of meetings in the summer. I volunteered to be the team representative for the one meeting and the other was required because the new principal wanted to meet all of us and it was a good meeting. Most of us stayed after for a few hours for a team meeting - got that out of the way since we were already in the building.

This is your first year teaching? Get as much rest as you can now... If going in often helps you calm some jitters, go for it. I know I spent way to much time in the building the summer before my first year, but at the time my psyche needed it.

25. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

No, I've been teaching for seven years. This is our first year with a much stricter principal. I don't know what to expect so I feel like I need to do as much as I can. I'm also moving grade levels and classrooms.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2013

I have to say if other teachers resent you for putting in extra time they have the problem not you. I have known teachers that were there only on contract time and others that spent lots of extra hours during the year and in the summer. I have no problem either way. Some can get the work done at home and some have to be immersed in their environment and summers are nice and quiet at school usually. You do what you feel you need and feel no guilt. I tell people all the time the only person you really have to worry about in regards to your job is the one that signs your check. At least it is in my case.

27. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jul 7, 2013

I don't think it's fair for the principal to ask you to come in during the summer - unpaid. People have kids, summer jobs, family reunions, etc. planned for their personal time. If the P wants you to come in, he/she should compensate you for your time.