I Wish All Parents Could Read This List

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Did YOU actually read the article? The words, "It's wrong" seem to state pretty strongly that she wants something different and that's a qualitative assessment, not an expository comment.

2. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

So saying the words "it's wrong"- is a "rant" in your book?

She also says teachers makes mistakes-should she have also offered a solution for that? She says that it takes a long time to plan-should she have a solution for that too. Statements can't just be made about the way it is?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

:yeahthat:

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

Seriously?? She is informing parents about what her job consists of because most people are completely unaware of it. She doesn't need to make an argument or a way to fix it. Some of the things she talked about don't need to be fixed--but the public needs to know that there is so much more to teaching than they think.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

If she said planning is wrong or the amount of time teachers have to spend planning is wrong..then yes it merits a conversation.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Possibly, but so is the nature of forums.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I don't know that I've ever addressed you on this forum; I'm not obligated to hold my tongue when people share unsubstantiated opinions about my profession.

The irony of you calling me an aggressive poster surely isn't lost on you. Of course, the odds of me getting moderated when you chose to go on the offensive are incredibly high as well.

8. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Her saying the words, "it's wrong," makes it NOT informational.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

**. **

10. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

That's not what the conversation was about. The blogger was not whining about standardized testing! She was addressing the public association of standardized testing with the teachers who must implement it. It was not a complaint, simply a reassurance to parents that their children's teachers do not necessarily support what is publicly deemed as a flawed system. If I were a parent, I would want to know that my child's teacher could see and teach beyond the test. I would be far more concerned with that than with whether or not that teacher could solve every problem that exists within public schools.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2013

It is also in the nature of privately owned forums, like this one, to reflect the tone that their owners prefer for them. The owner of this forum happens to have been a kindergarten teacher.

Those who disdain the lack of heat here might do better to seek a more contentious kitchen elsewhere.

12. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I would want the teacher of my student, whether I agreed with her or not, to be able to substantiate any claim she made. That would show at least some semblance of critical thought and intellectual honesty.

Of course, I'd also like some substantiation on "what is publicly deemed as a flawed system," but I know to expect to be called an "aggressive poster" if I said as much. (Oops)

13. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I'm sorry; is this board entitled "The Venting Zone," "No Disagreements Allowed," or "The Support Forum?"

It actually wouldn't surprise me that honest discussion isn't permitted in this forum; it would be disappointing, but not surprising.

14. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

hey everyone, this is getting kind of silly/ridiculous. You're all getting upset over a difference in opinion from someone you don't even know! Could we all please agree to respect one another's opinions and when we disagree either state our opinion/why we disagree respectfully (as long as it is related to the post and not going off on a tangent) or just remain silent? I've liked how most of the time everyone here seems willing to help each other out, and participate in respectful discussions about things, but this has gotten out of hand. :whistle:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

16. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Hey now, I learned a great deal in the correcting pen post! There's nothing like finding the perfect correcting pen; every teacher who grades an endless amount of work knows that.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 25, 2013

Warning time: This thread has the potential to be a great discussion, but has been sidetracked several times by name calling and general incivility. I've removed quite a few posts. I apologize in advance if I inadvertently missed some of the more contentious posts. Please continue to use the report feature on any posts left standing if you feel there is a problem with them.

With that, if this thread dissolves again, it will be closed and/or removed.

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

LOL, you saw it before they deleted it, I am rolling on the ground laughing right now.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

:thumb:

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

Thanks mm &!HorseLover,

This has gotten way out of hand.

21. microbe

microbe Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

There does seem to be a lack of general understanding of what a teacher's job actually entails - I think that's because everyone considers themselves experts because - hey - they went to school!

I really never understood how hard teaching is until I actually became a teacher. And the general lack of respect for teachers (i.e. anyone could do your job or teachers are paid too much) makes the job even harder. Before I graduated university I always assumed that school supplies were from the school budget - but that's hardly the case! As a substitute teacher I even needed to start carrying supplies for students who come to class unprepared.

The other day my little sister said to me that being a student was harder than being a teacher. I have a feeling this is why so many parents feel that teachers deserve little respect and only disdain. We're not treated as professionals, but babysitters that get paid too much.

22. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 26, 2013

I completely agree. One of my friends was over while I was planning and she goes, "wow I thought teachers just walked in with no planning and just did whatever they wanted" . (Now granted some teachers do but most do not)

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2013

When people don't know, they assume all sorts of things that are the farthest from the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.