I Wish All Parents Could Read This List

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Another I hate standardized testing statement, but no suggestions on how to make it better.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

Her blog post says so much of what I feel on a daily basis but can't formulate into words, and she says it quite eloquently. Thanks for sharing.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

Wish I could post this on FB!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

Why does she have to say how to make anything better? She's just writing a list consisting of her feelings on these things. Every statement about teaching doesn't have to offer a solution-sometimes a list can just be a list.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I have to agree with this as well.

Also, "I'm broke because I bought supplies for my classroom" sounds an awful lot like a personal finance issue, not a teaching issue.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

Well, then I have a "personal finance issue" too because I spend more in August preparing for school than any month of the year. It's just a reminder of the commitment some teachers make. Jeesh. :rolleyes:

9. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Are you broke because of it? If not, you're not addressing my post.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

I don't know where you teach, but at my school we have to buy everything for our classrooms from staplers and pens to copy paper and surge protectors. Only supply we were given this year is bulletin board paper (no borders). Yet, we are required to have certain things up in our rooms.

So yes, some people are broke until the first paycheck of the year (which probably has to go to paying rent/mortgage) because they have spent their last trying to ready their room. Especially the younger teachers who are single (one income household) and teaching may be their only source of income.

Glad to know you don't have that problem.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

Dave...there are schools in our country that runout of toilet paper! :eek: and don't give teachers ANY budget for supplies...zero...and those teachers tend to work in districts where families can't afford all the requested school supplies either. There are teachers on these forums who buy kids supplies,have breakfast items in their closets,bring their own kids outgrown clothing a d shoes to school to help kids who don't have. It's not always a 'personal finance' issue, Dave....sometimes it's an issue of caring and compassion...and truthfully,even in well funded, well paying districts, many teachers are low on money by the time summer ends.:(

12. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

That would be me; my district has very little support when it comes to supplies. Do you know what I do? I budget for the beginning of the year to make sure my bank account isn't empty, because I KNOW this expense is coming up; it's not a surprise to me.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

The school I was at last year ran out of construction paper before Christmas, and markers soon after that. Pencils were gone by March. These items are rather essential for the elementary classroom. So I had to buy some myself. I did have a few parents volunteer to purchase items, but it wasn't enough.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

It's called hyperbole. I do feel "broke" right now. As I stated when I do believe I addressed your post, my budget is tighter at the time of year more than any other. Not just decorating my classroom (which I always end up spending money on), but buying extra supplies, craft materials, books to share with the kids. I just spent $20 yesterday buying the ingredients for a snack we are going to create on the 1st day of school. I also have to buy things like new shoes because since I'm on my feet/walking so much, I'm pretty hard on my shoes during the school year.

I forgot that everything here has to be an argument now, just for the sake of arguing. She was simply stating that many teachers spend their own money to stock their classrooms and parents might not realize that.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

I'm yet to step into a position that there has been any supplies, either for me or the students. Each new room has essentially been bare, except for furniture. Sometimes supplies are slow in coming at the beginning of the year.

I've learned that if I want pens, I'll purchase them myself. Bulletin board paper, hit or miss.

I've gotten better over the years, I don't spend as near as much as I use too. Most of my decorations and such are at least 8 years old.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

Really? Give me a freaking break. Her post was clearly not one in which she would or should outline how to remedy what so many believe to be a major problem in education.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

:yeahthat::agreed:

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

I see a lot of truth in her article, but it also sounds a bit martyr-ish to me....:|

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

I really liked the blog post. I don't agree with/relate to every item, but I see her point and believe that there are many teachers who feel exactly like she does. I won't repost it because of the religious stuff at the end, but I still appreciate what she had to say.

Thank you for sharing it!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

Do you also have an extra stash for the air conditioner compressor that goes out just as July hits or the major car repair in August or God forbid (and it's happened to most of us), the summers when June, July and August ALL bring on expensive emergencies? :eek:
    Bottom line, it's no surprise that school is starting and with that may come some expenses, but try a little understanding for those who run out of money before they run out of summer despite budgeting because they have been taking care of their own families and life's unexpected expenses as well as their incoming 'school families'.:love:

21. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Actually...yes, it's called an emergency fund for a reason.

I get sick of people blaming "uncontrollable factors" like paying for school supplies for their students for their lack of financial acumen; yes, it sucks that we have to pay for our own students' supplies, but that's no excuse to be "broke" as a result of it.

I guess I was supposed to just say, "Yes, we're broke at the beginning of the year and we can't do anything to change it! Life is hard for teachers. Womp, womp, womp."

22. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

That was a good read. I can't relate to a lot of it, but there were a few points I could relate to and it was well written.

I think it's ridiculous to expect teachers to spend their money on basic classroom needs, like paper and pencils. I don't think it's fair to judge someone for not budgeting for that, because you don't know what is going on in that teacher's life.

However, this teacher did say she spent her money on books, bookcases, bulletin boards, and things to make her room brighter. This is really nice of her, but I honestly wouldn't recommend someone whose financial situation isn't great to spend money on this stuff. I don't really think the school should be required to pay for a bookcase or things to make the room look nice. (The novels are a different story--the teacher should NOT have to pay for that if it's in the required curriculum.) I spend a little bit of money on the extra stuff, but I wouldn't spend money on it if I didn't really have the money to spend.

23. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if by "broke" she just meant no money left right now for basic luxuries/money to spend on herself like we all do from time to time. She quite likely did NOT mean "oh my goodness I hope I can buy food to eat tonight" broke :)

I really liked her post and thought it said her thoughts well without being to "whiney" like a lot of "what I wish parents knew" type of posts can often sound. Not all of them were negative (such as her talking about how much she cares about her students)

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

I think the list was very nicely written. All of the other unnecessary comments shouldn't be on here. Let's keep things positive!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

This is how I read it as well.:thumb:

26. live

live Companion

Aug 25, 2013

:yeahthat:

Good article. Whether or not we agree on each point (or even the tone), I think most would agree on the message: teaching isn't easy and teachers work hard.

27. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Yes really!

Give me a break. It is so politically correct for teachers to whine about standardized testing, yet they themselves provide so little as far as a remedy.

YES. If teachers believe that standardized testing is a major problem in education, then who better than the teaching professionals to engage in a solution?

Absolutely ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of teacher talk on standardized testing is negative, teachers should focus on what it should look like if they are unhappy with it.

28. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2013

I agree--I'm sure that's what she meant. I just still wouldn't spend money on that if she didn't have money on things for herself. That os truly her choice and maybe I'm stingy. :)
    I think it was nice that she included how much she spent on her classroom. A lot of parents don't know how much teachers spend on their kids and think the school is funding it all, especially teachers who get no money at all. I just feel bad that this teacher is spending money on stuff that she probably doesn't need to teach when she doesn't have enough for herself.

29. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

This is how I read it, too. I enjoyed her post and didn't find it whiny at all!

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2013

Dave did not remove his own post. Additional posts were sent for moderation because they were off-topic. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss the methods of discourse on the boards.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2013

Anyone who wishes to challenge the moderators' decisions is welcome to do so by using the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page: the message goes to the site owner.

32. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 25, 2013

:wub: it!

The only thing I would add is that your child is not the only child in my classroom. I will do my best for each and every child and that doesn't always mean your child is the center of my attention.

33. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I personally think this is beautiful. It was not the list of bitter complaints that I expected after first reading some of the comments here, but a heartfelt explanation of the calling and a sincere appeal for understanding and patience. It is true that we are professionals who are often misunderstood, undervalued, and vilified by the public. I feel this blogger did a wonderful job of reminding everyone that teachers are professionals who are constantly striving to be experts in their fields and who will do anything in their power to help our students while also pointing out that we are people who have lives and families of our own.

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

That's what I thought too. Sometimes I think people forget we have families and lives of our own! I've had parents upset at 8 am that I didn't respond to an e-mail they sent at 7 pm the night before. While I do try to address concerns as soon as possible-there is also a point I have to turn of "school" thinking for the night.

PencilMonkey-I agree with that as well. I do think sometimes it's something they forget.

35. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Not all of us, unfortunately. "Most" would probably be accurate from my anecdotal experiences.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  36. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

I agree that there are teachers out there who perhaps do not belong in the field, though I don't know if there are as many as the public is led to believe. I think in a professional community like this one, though, we understand that there are exceptions to every rule. If we have to avoid unoffensive generalities while discussing topics like this, we'd never get to our points!

37. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

First of all-where does "poor quality" come from?

Secondly, the article was NOT for students or other teachers or for the politicians. The audience was PARENTS! The author was saying that she does not like the weight placed on testing and only teaching the kids to answer multiple choice questions-something parents might also feel. It was not an editorial piece-she was simply giving some reminders about teaching that people may not think about. OMG!

38. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

If you want something different and don't provide an alternative, you're just ranting for the sake of hearing your own voice.

39. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

Did you actually read the article?

She's not saying she wants something different--she's saying this is the way it is-informationally.

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

Have you ever considered the fact that perhaps people do have an opinion about alternatives, but they're just not interested in sharing them with you? No one here is obligated to run their opinions by you or even to admit that they have any opinions. Furthermore, I suspect that many people who might otherwise be inclined to share their opinions are intentionally refraining from doing so in threads where you and other aggressive posters are present.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

This!:thumb:

I didn't find her post an indictment of testing. **

Just her heartfelt experience and opinion. Not meant to be everyone's personal journey as a teacher, just hers. I'm sure many of us have had experiences where those not in education (not just parents of our students) didn't really understand what a teacher's 'life' is like. We might not all have the same list as the blogger, but there are some universal commonalities for many of us....or at least empathy, compassion and understanding for those who might be walking a different teacher journey than we. :2cents:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.