I will...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 30, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

As I was laying in bed last night I started getting worried about the new year. The people I don't want to work with, the ones who are two faced and talk behind your back, how quiet I am around even the friendly nice staff members etc..
    I kind of made a vow to myself last night to become a bit more friendly and talk to more people than I did last year.

Anything that you vow to do differently next year.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I say it every year... enjoy the kids more, laugh more and be more relaxed, and ignore and avoid the negative comments and people.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I will enjoy the challenge.
    I have the largest classes I've ever had, I am teaching a new class, I am mentoring a new teacher.

90% of me is looking forward to the challenge, 10% of me worries that I won't keep up.

5. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

I am making a vow to keep my stress level low and to remember that its okay if everything is not perfect.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2010

I did teach special ed just 1 yr, but I ALWAYS tell myself that when I do have a permanent school to be at, I need to get in there, eat in the lounge, talk to people, mk friends, etc. Well, to me, it's easier said than done. I'm just not a very social person. The thing is, I'm one of the nicest people anyone will ever know, but no one will know that if I don't mk the effort, but from my experience, people really aren't that friendly w/ me.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Great!

Ignore negative comments-I want to do this but I don't know if I will.

Keep stress level low and realize things are not perfect---so hard to do.

8. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 30, 2010

9. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 30, 2010

"90% of me is looking forward to the challenge, 10% of me worries that I won't keep up."

:yeahthat:

I have some new challenges and responsibilities this year too.
    Positive Outlook Each Day~my mantra

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

ku, you will be an AWESOME mentor :thumb: that new teacher has no idea how lucky they are :)

I have 7th hour prep (our last hour of the day) this year and I have always, always hated 7th hour prep. I hate it because at the end of the day, I am so tired I just either sit and veg, walk around and socialize or eat :). Normally, I use every minute of my prep working, but 7th hour just kicks me in the buttocks.

SO, I vow this year to make the most of my 7th hour prep, not to moan and groan about having last hour prep and get stuff done just like I would if it was 5th hour prep ;)

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I always loved when I had my prep at the end of the day. It just seemed to shorten my day... Especially on rough days, I'd make it to lunch, and think to myself that I only had another half hour left before they went to Music or PE!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Aw, thanks INteacher.
    I hope I serve her well. The few encounters I've had with her seem very promising. I'm excited to have a new colleague and neighbor (but it will be weird to not see my old one!)

13. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

This year I will be more organized!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

I want to get to know my kids better as individuals. I felt disconnected to my class this past year...I sometimes didn't know what to say to parents during conferences, because I felt like I didn't know their child as well as I should/wanted to.

I want to actually play with them during free time, instead of playing catch-up and checking emails. I also want to come up with a system for jotting down quick observations, so I have concrete examples of good and bad behavior (for report cards and conferences).

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

Seconded! I've invested a lot of time and effort this summer getting everything organized: classroom, desk, files, units, etc. I WILL keep it up!

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

DrivingPigeon, I feel the same way as you! I need to write down observations more, I had trouble with knowing what to write with my fifth graders last year.

Organization for me!

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2010

I have decided that this year I am determined to get more academics done in my SPED classroom. To help me reach this goal, I have asked the P to stop pulling me out during the day for meetings. I am also going to stop being the one who always works around other people's schedules (speech, OT, PT, etc). It's time for us to stop being so nice and let those people work around our schedule for a change. Let's see if I can keep it up!

18. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Last year was a rough class and a rough year, so this coming year I have decided that I need to be more positive!

19. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

Two things for me this year, for my own personal health. :)

One, I am going to leave earlier each night. I never go home before 7:00 and sometimes it is much later. No more of that! I need to get some balance in my life.

Two, I am going to start going up to the workroom for lunch. I have let myself fall into a pattern of working through much of my break and then quickly eating the last 5-10 minutes. Again, a balance thing... I need to relax a bit AND I need the contact with my co-workers. :)

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I will try to simplify and really focus on a few priorities this year. I tend to jump on every great idea I hear, and I need to sloooooow down.

I will work on staying consistent and on top of tasks.

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

I will continue to stay out of the "drama".

I will try new things in my classroom - i.e Daily 5

I will learn how to use my SmartBoard so that I could use it on a daily basis.

I will be more adamant when requesting to attend professional development classes.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

I always say get better organized but since that never seems to happen ...:whistle:

I am going to try to use every single minute of the day. From waiting in the hall for the restroom to preparing for dismissal.

I am also going to stay positive and not worry about what anyone is doing except myself-no judgments of others.

Not let the pressure get to me (and there will be a lot of pressure) just enjoy the kids, have fun, be silly-add a little sparkle to their lessons!

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

Here's my mantra. I printed it out and posted it by my computer at home. Each of the "big" words (first line) is in a different font, and the sentences are in the same font but smaller size. I got part of it from an article that someone posted on here, and changed part of it to fit me.

A Covenant
    What we do with kids is sacred.

Leadership
    Step out in front and ignore those who are content to be mediocre.

Stay Positive
    Keep away from the Dark Side.

Ownership
    You own the impact of your power.

Acceptance
    Accept the things you cannot change. Move on.

I have vowed to remember these five things this year. God has asked me to care for and to teach his children, and I will honor Him by doing this work thoughtfully and wholeheartedly. For leadership, I have a tendency to not offer my ideas because I don't want anyone thinking that I am being a "know-it-all". Well, not today! We had a leadership meeting, and I spoke up and offered ideas--which were all well-received. And I offered to head some of the projects.

I will not let the one person on my team cause me to become angry. She made a snide remark today during the meeting, and I just smiled at her. It confused her. So no more "dark side". I usually don't have a problem with ownership, but I do want to remember that I have a lot of power over these kids. I want to remember to make it as positive as I can for them. And I want them to succeed! And finally, I can't change the budget problems, I can't change who I work with, I can't change some parent's decision to enable poor work habits or school attendance. Instead of complaining, I will move on.

There it is. Five things for me to work on or remember this year.

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

I love that! I will be printing this out to place in my car.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2010

Every single year I do many things differently. I still allow some people to push my buttons, but I refuse to allow them to know that they push my buttons . . . that goes for kids and adults. I also have to like people while I'm at work . . . and that goes for kids and adults, too. ;)

I think you made a great choice for the new year.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

I have always loved last hour prep! I can also see how it would be difficult too for some.

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

This year I will not be afraid to share. I will continue to push outside my comfort zone. I will remember that no two days are the same.

28. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

As a first year teacher, I will not stress myself when things don't go the way that I plan. Also, I will learn from my mistakes rather than hyperventilate/stew over them.

My new motto that I will keep to heart: Each day is a new day.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

Maya, that is exactly what I tell my students after they have a bad day -- tomorrow is a new day and you get to start off with a clean slate.

30. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

I will make my own health a priority and continue the walking program I started this summer. I will make the time for it, even if it is in pieces. Healthy me = happy me. Happy me = better (more effective) teacher (my opinion).

I would also say i will be more organized, but haven't yet found a system for myself that works beyond November. For some reason that's when it seems everything starts to happen at once.

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

I am going to keep a journal of all the funny things that kids say. I promise myself this every year, but I never do.

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

I will accept the things I cannot change, have the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

:)

33. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I will try really hard not to visualize myself kicking my case manager in the head at IEP meetings when she's a total idgit. :angel:

34. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

I will get out of the school every day by no later than 4:00.
    I will try to create a better work relationship with the other administrators and Department Chairs.
    I will control my temper and not yell at teachers even when they push my buttons.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I LOVE the Serenity Prayer!!!