I watched this documentary on Netflix called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

It was a really interesting documentary and I highly recommend everyone to watch it. It's about a man from Australia who went on a 60 day fruit and vegetable juice only diet. He states that this is a fasting to cleanse the body. Then, once you are done, you go back to eating healthy food, doing the fast every now and then. They also followed another man who was only going to do this for 30 days, I believe, but he felt so much better that he went on for 60 days. And, they followed a woman who suffered from migraines. She did this for only 10 days. But has continued to drink fruit/veggie juices as she feels so much better too. The two men, however, lost some major weight and just felt so much better. They were able to either reduce the medication they were on or completely stop taking it.

I'm not overweight and since I'm a pescaterian, I tend to eat healthier than the average joe, but I do eat a lot of soy products and processed food. And since I suffer from lack of energy, migraines, and depression, I wonder if this diet will help me out? I think I am going to try it out, but also continue eating fish and salads. I'm going to cut ALL processed foods from my diet (no store brought juices, chips, etc.). I think I'll try this for 10 days and just see how I feel afterwards.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

The idea of including fish on your plan is a good one...not much different than how I normally eat, except I do eat whole grain bread, rice a few times a week.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

My personal trainer was talking about this a few days ago. I'll have to watch it.

5. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 11, 2011

I'm really into fitness and health, so i watched it on netflix (it came up on my recommended list)....i strongly dislike this docu.

...look at the guy's before and after photos. Yes, he lost weight, but what is his body fat percentage? it appears that he has become "skinny fat". that is a term for people that may appear thin or fit, but are actually very low in muscle tone and have more fat...it has appeared that he has lost all his muscle while retaining the fat.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

The Fonz, I have a feeling that as long as he keeps up with his workouts, that he'll gain those muscles. I understand what you mean by skinny fat, but we can't deny that this fasting diet did help him. He just needs to now keep up with his workouts and good eating habit.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

I would check out Eat to Live first. That book is written by a respected medical professional, and has been used by lots of people. It is mostly a common sense approach and doesn't include processed foods. You can easily incorporate the parts that you like into your diet to help be more healthy all of the time.

Have you had a full spectrum of blood tests? You could have a deficiency that needs to be treated.

I can't absorb enough of certain vitamins from foods no matter what I eat due to medical reasons, and I can always tell if the numbers are going to come out low just based on how I feel. I would start there if you have not already.

Soy products on their own shouldn't be a problem (assuming you aren't talking about the ultra processed commercial products or things like lots of tvp, etc). Most of the "soy hysteria" in the media is really overstated. So much soy is in our food supply in the form of oils, additives, fillers, what is fed to food animals, etc. Drinking a glass of soy milk or having some grilled tofu isn't really what those studies are referring to.

Fasting in general isn't a great way to improve one's health, especially if it isn't strictly overseen by a medical professional, and especially if you may already have one or more vitamin deficiencies.

My two cents. I hope you feel better soon! I'm currently dealing with severe anemia again, so I understood how awful it is to be tired all the time. It seems that just as soon as my doctor and I get it under control again, my iron levels start plummeting. So frustrating.

8. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 11, 2011

i absolutely agree that he can gain muscle if he works out...i just think this movie puts out a perception that eating this way long term is good...it's actually not.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

Molly, I've gone in numerous times over the years to figure out why I am so tired and my lab results always came back normal.

To me, it does make sense to move towards more natural foods. When I say I eat too much soy products, to me, that's a problem because you don't see tofurkey in nature. :D That's what I meant.

Fonz, I didn't get from the documentary that this is a diet you should be doing for long periods of time. The two men they followed were extreme cases. The other people who tried it out only did it for 10 days at a time.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, I have my weeks where I eat too much of that stuff too. I've been trying to cook more, but I had a tofurkey and soy cheese sandwich for dinner. It was on fresh baked bread, but still not the healthiest thing I've eaten!

I was going to grill some chili lime marinated tofu, but it started raining buckets.

I know tofu is still processed to a degree, but I don't consider it in the same category as a Boca burger. I figure that if they ate it in Imperial China, it's natural enough for me. :lol:

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

Check out Forks Over Knives, too.

I have long been in a struggle to cut out processed food from my diet but I have had a hard time giving it up completely, even though I strongly believe it contributes to most of our health problems today.

I strongly recommend Clean Eating magazine if you don't already subscribe. LOVE.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

There is a lot of convincing evidence (enough for me, anyway) that soy is not good for your thyroid. Especially if you are already taking a synthetic thyroid medication. I still eat it, but I do try to keep it in moderation.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2011

That is a different scenario. The big problem with soy is that most people get it in everything they eat, and cows are fed soy. Eating some soy like tofu, soy milk. Etc is probably pretty healthy for most people, but eating foods loaded with soy fillers, soy flours, soy oils, and soy from soy fed meat, can add up to really significant amounts. It can be an easy food to inadvertently overdo. The soy protein added to a lot of food is processed using hexane, which also isn't too great.

I just try not to eat too much of any one thing. I tend to get on food kicks though where I just want the same thing every day for a week. Does anyone else do this? :lol: like last week, I kept eating swiss chard and quinoa over and over and over. Now I don't want to even think about eating Swiss chard any time soon.

I eat tofu or tempeh a few times a week and sometimes make things with tvp, but I mostly drink almond, hemp, or oat milk unless I have a specific baking need for soy milk (like curdling for biscuits).

When I was in school and only had $20-30/month for groceries, I was living on Boca burgers because they were super cheap in bulk at Costco. Not good!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

Thanks for the book suggestion. Just found it on Amazon. :)

I'm looking for a good book on creating fruits and veggie juices now. Any recommendation guys?

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 14, 2011

It's amazing how ignorant we have been/are when it comes to our understanding of what we put in our bodies to how we feel. Only recently have we begun to really make a connection to the crap we often call food, and all sorts of symptoms that we now seem to take as normal. e.g. Someone mentioned migraines... I have a sister-in-law who is a nurse (medical professional). She eats nothing but fast food, no exercise, etc. She suffers from migraines, allergies on a routine basis. I can only wonder what role her diet and fitness has on these things.

I say go for it Peachyness. I think it could possibly make a world of difference for you

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

Thanks for your support. I'm going to do a lot of research and I am looking for a good book on juicing before I begin. :) I mean, to me, a lot of it makes sense, but I want to make sure I have as much knowledge before hand. I already have a particular diet, so I just want to make sure I'm getting all of the nutrients that I need. In addition, my main goal is to gain wait, not lose weight, so that's another issue that I want to make sure I have under control. My hubby, on the other hand, can stand to lose about 30 pounds or so, so I'm hoping this will help him do so in a healthy manner.

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 14, 2011

My sister juices and swears by it. I've been thinking about it so I'll PM you if I find out what she uses (it might take a while as she's on vacation). Every time I open her fridge it is crammed with beautiful looking fruits and veggies. She uses it when her kids start to get sick, too.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

Thanks Kat. I'll wait patiently. :)

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

Peachy...I think as far as juices go... you have to go with what you think you might like. I mean we have a juicer and throw in different things we think might be good, some from the book that came with it & adding our own stuff. One of our favs is apple, pear carrot. We also like orange, pineapple... if we have carrots sometimes a carrot or strawberry thrown in there.
    I will tell you anything with celery has a strong cerlery taste to it. If you use ginger root only use a little utnil you get it where you like it.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2011

I use a vitamix for juicing. Cheaper juicers don't take long to become more trouble than they are worth.

Ive heard good things about the Breville and some of those models aren't too horribly expensive.

My favorite is carrot juice with some apple or pear and a bit of pineapple added. The nice thing with the vitamin is you can use the pineapple core and save the rest for other things.

I'm anxiously waiting for my purple carrots to be ready for harvesting.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 3, 2012

Peachy, did you ever do this? I just watched and immediately bought a Breville. I don't want to do an all out fast (yet!) but I need fruits and vegetables in my diet. I eat terribly, and I'm tired of feeling exhausted and sick all the time.