I was told by HR I could be released...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by whateva14, Sep 28, 2014.

1. whateva14

whateva14 Rookie

Sep 28, 2014

As I've stated in previous posts, I'm in a new school where the environment is threatening, unsafe and not conducive to learning. I met with the HR in my district a week ago and she said that she would release me. I technically haven't signed a contract even though the board approved my contract. I signed an employment agreement back in June. She asked me to talk to my principal. He is very nice and was trying to convince me to stay. I worry because HR already approved that I could be released without breaking anything. My principal asked me to think about everything and I think he thinks that it's my classroom management is what is causing me stress and that's not the case. I've always been an effective teacher and this environment is not for me. It is very awkward telling a principal you don't want to work at their school. I just need some advice. I want to get out of there ASAP and I've been given the opportunity. Is it okay for me to tell him that I've thought about everything and I still want out?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2014

I don't have any specific advice for your situation, but I just hope you are very sure that leaving is the right decision for you. It could have a lasting impact on your future ability to be hired.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 28, 2014

Give it two weeks with the full freeing thought that you gave EVERYTHING and can walk after that. Maybe those weeks will make a change, maybe not.

5. whateva14

whateva14 Rookie

Sep 28, 2014

I would stay of course until they found a replacement and I would make for the smoothest transition as possible. I have never, ever considered leaving a teaching position during the year, but the conditions with behavior are near unbearable and I cannot afford to let it affect my personal life or emotions or future career. If they release me, I'm not breaking contract. Therefore, it shouldn't affect my future trying to find a job when I left my old district under good terms.

6. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 2, 2014

I say go for it. What part of the country are in?