I was so totally ticked off today

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, May 29, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 29, 2008

I went today for a job that I have had on my schedule for at least two weeks maybe three. When I got in there and sat down at the teacher's desk I noticed that there was NO SUB NOTE. All this teacher had left was a folder with a "Time For Kids" magazine in it with her plan book. The students had already packed up most of their text books. The things she left for work only took about half the time she had alloted for them. Not only that but she had afternoon duty and didn't leave any notes as to what I was to do about it. Then the 1st grade classes were having their field day in the gym so my kids got bumped into another room and she did not have the common decency to leave me a note about it. The one saving grace is that the kids were actually good kids so if they were all done with thier work I let them play games!!

Mldouglas

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 29, 2008

And we wonder why subs have "sub bags." Isn't the teacher supposed to plan? Why on earth would you ever need backup activities then? Hmm...because not everyone lives up to their end of the job.

What did you end up doing? I'm leaning in to hear of your obvious genius talents.

4. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 29, 2008

I actually did not have my sub bag full of goodies

This is the one time that I did not have my sub bag. I really did not think that I would not need it. I let them play games, read or draw when we were not doing something educational. The way I see it I did get through all of the activities that the teacher left for me so what I chose to do with the kids was my choice. I think that maybe the teacher thought that the kids would need time to work on their AR goals so that was probably why she did not leave that much. It also could have been because a third of the kids were going on a patrols field trip and she maybe thought that the rest of the group could have a fun and easy day. I don't really know without being able to get inside her head and see what she was thinking. The only thing that made the day bearable was that the kids were exceptionally well behaved for it being the week before school is out. I think that they only have 4 days.

Mldouglas

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 29, 2008

I have never seen a sub with a bag. It was just my way of saying that people wonder why subs need to think or be prepared with extra tricks of the trade. :) I bet they ENJOYED getting to do some of those extra activities though.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 29, 2008

I know just what you mean!!!!! I subbed for a high school Spanish teacher today. She knew days in advance that she was going to be out today. What she left me was CRAP! There was no schedule. The "class lists" were completely out of date. I didn't even bother trying to take attendance. No seating charts. Her "lesson plans" were to have Spanish I do review packets for their final exams. Spanish IV was to watch a video on the Smart Board.

The students were just horrible! They wouldn't work on their packets. One kid told me - "I have a 5% GPA in this class. It doesn't matter how I do on the final." They had no interest in the boring video. They talked or slept. They played cards in "study hall." One kid was eating a messy sandwich in the classroom, so I told him to put it away. "But we are ALLOWED to eat in here. The teacher ALWAYS lets us eat in here." Me - "Well, I"M here today and I said to put it away!"

In the last class of the day, I had MAJOR problems with girls using their cell phones. When I took them away, all they did was yell at me and complain that they had to have their phones. Then one of the girls just walked out of the classroom. I buzzed the office. The secretary asked who it was that left. Stupid teacher didn't leave seating charts - so I didn't know. The other students played dumb - and wouldn't tell me. But, the girl left her stuff on her desk - so the secretary said to take it and bring it to the office.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was like that all day! At the end of the day, "cell phone girls" expected me to rush to the office so that they could pick up their phones and still make it to their buses. Well - Wah! Wah! Wah! I took my time in cleaning up the classroom - a little bit anyway.

The secretary wrote down their names to give to the principal. I was scheduled to sub for the librarian tomorrow. But, I told the secretary that I would NOT be back. She was kind of laughing - until she realized that I was SUPER-UPSET. I was near tears!

As soon as I got home, I cancelled my librarian job.
    OH!! By the way, I checked with the librarian third period on what she wanted me to do. She told me that I would have to get a pail and rag - so that I could SCRUB DOWN THE LIBRARY SHELVES!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I quickly got another job for an elementary special ed teacher. They are having a field day in the morning. I suppose that I will help out a bit with that. Then in the afternoon, I am to give the classroom teachers their breaks. That shouldn't be too tough! It has to be better than today!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 29, 2008

OH!
    The French teacher wrote out my schedule for the day.

I put a check mark on each period - as I survived it.

My nine check marks were my "message about the day" to the teacher.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 29, 2008

I'm an aide but I sub for my teacher all the time (during assessments, IEP, etc). It's not the same thing. I know my students, etc. Recently though my teacher was planning to give me an assignment that she planned to rearrange her schedule so I could be there with her (I help another grade for 1 period per day) because she wasn't comfortable doing it alone. Excuse me? You couldn't do it alone. Why do you think I would want to? Then another day she gave me some really boring work because it was the easiest for her to prep. Heck NO! I'm not dealing with the behaviors that come with that. Hahah...at least I have some say in mine. I truly feel for you guys when you just walk in and have no choice in the matter.

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 29, 2008

I am so SICK of teachers who leave "PACKETS" of worksheets for the kids to do. There is no way that kids can sit there all day and do worksheet after worksheet after worksheet.

Just give me something interesting to TEACH!!!

10. trying 2 B TCHR

trying 2 B TCHR Rookie

May 29, 2008

I went to sub for a sixth grade. I was supposed to show a 45 minute video (about volcanoes) and the students were supposed to answer a set of questions (on paper) after they were done watching it. The worst part.... I was supposed to do that with each sixth grade class. So basically I watched the same video five times. The whole day, the same video ... five times.
    My district takes only credentialed teachers for subbing. This is not what you expect.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 29, 2008

One time I subbed for a high school social studies teacher. He had me show a video of George Bush's last State of the Union Address to all of his classes - over and over and over and over.

OMG! I thought I'd go INSANE!!!!!!!!! :eek:

12. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

May 29, 2008

I cannot begin to understand teachers who don't leave sub plans. I am almost obsessive about it (and it's one reason I don't take many sick days because it takes me so long to get ready for a sub!) I have a template on the computer with all the pertinent info, like behavior system, attendance routine, where to go for fire drill, etc., but then I also add the rest of the day - and I pretty much have the day scripted out for them, with sticky notes on each stack of worksheets, read-alouds or whatever. I think it stems from being a sub myself before I was a real teacher, and I hated it so very much, and just prayed that the teacher would have left half a clue as to what the kids would be doing that day.

Most teachers I subbed for left some kind of plans, but rarely to the extent that I do now. I even once subbed for a teacher who expected me to do running records on all the kids in her guided reading group. Now it so happened that I knew how to ... but I can't imagine that all subs, espec. those without education training or coming over from a different career, would even know what a running record IS. And another teacher left the first day of a complicated, 3-part math assignment that even her partner teacher could help me figure out. So I guess it takes all kinds! And a sub bag!

13. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 29, 2008

Hey, what does that mean?:(

14. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 30, 2008

Heh, after reading this I am not very glad that yesterday went very smooth for me. I got to the job about 25-30 minutes early and was able to basically lay out all of the worksheets that they had to do and get myself all situated. The kids had library at one point and during that time I worked on grading their morning work and checking for completion with their reading assignment. I used this attendance list to check every assignment they handed in and was gonna leave it for their teacher, but left it in my pocket. O well, the day went by very smoothly and I put the completed sheets in one pile and the incomplete ones in another to make it very easy for them to complete later. I hope today goes just as well.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2008

I'm a sub and a REAL teacher. :D:)

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 30, 2008

Haha I do NOT miss my subbing days. I rememeber having to play the same BORING video 5 times. One time (they had old VCRS) the tape actually broke during the 3rd showing. I was so happy! :lol: The kids never watch the videos anyway. Just a way to fill time since some teachers don't trust the subs to know HOW to teach :unsure:

17. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

May 30, 2008

This is a very good point. Our curriculum is so content heavy that we have to know the material has been taught because we'll probably have to test/assess it. Because of this, I never leave sub plans that require real, solid teaching. I can't be sure that the material has been covered properly, so I end up re-teaching anyway.
    I subbed for 11 years myself and know of the boredom of doing the same lesson over and over. This is just part of the deal when you sub.
    I do believe it is imperative that we leave real work for our class when we're away, (but it is often revision or repetitive work that doesn't assume a talented teacher is taking my class!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 30, 2008

One time I subbed for a high school science teacher who was absent unexpectedly. I was given a bunch of OLD videos for the students to watch. The students were cracking up the whole time because of the actors out-dated clothes, hair styles, and huge glasses frames. :eek:

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 30, 2008

At my last school we were told not to expect our subs to do any teaching because it was our job to teach. We were told to only leave behind worksheet packages.

20. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 30, 2008

I would love to sub for you, 2ndTimeArnd. Provided your classes are 7th grade or higher. While I can cover most content areas with competence (certainly not Art or PE), I certainly prefer notes from the real teacher (uh oh, there's that phrase again!) so that I know that my day is being spent helping the teacher and the students reach their goals.

21. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 30, 2008

I started to reply last night

I started to reply to this last night but had to shut my computer down because of bad storms in my area. I lost a computer in a bad storm about 4-5 years ago. Anyway, this teacher that I subbed for and had no notes I think the reason she may have done things the way she did things is because the kids were supposed to be working towards their AR goals before today. However, she did not leave me any information on what the kids were doing with that or who needed what for AR. So when we weren't working I let them have down time. I also told them that they were responsible for making sure that their work was done. There should have been no reason for them to come into class today and tell the teacher they did not have everything done. They also tried to tell me that they had a 50 minute recess. I told them that I was going by the skeleton schedule that was in the teacher's sub folder which said that recess was only 30minutes. If there was anything that was supposed to be done differently then she should have left a note!!!

Mldouglas

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2008

I'm guilty of leaving videos and packets for my students when I'm absent. I know it must be boring for the sub, and I'm sorry for that, but at the same time, I probably won't change my sub plans.

I teach Latin, which is an uncommon and difficult subject. Translating one short sentence from Latin into English takes first-year students about 5 minutes because there are 4-5 steps to the process. I can't possibly leave good enough instructions for a sub describing the translation process and have them be meaningful in any way. If the sub can't answer a student's question about the material, the student is stuck and frustrated. That's not what I want.

For me, for my students, and for the sub, I feel that it's better to leave an interesting, timely video which expands a topic we've addressed in class. My videos aren't usually boring (though sometimes they are), and I always leave a guided notes packet for students to work on during the video. I include games and pictures as well. I've heard from my students that they really like these activities because they're a break from the ins and outs of daily translation.

I guess I also work really hard throughout the year to instill in my students a certain respect for any adult in charge of my classroom. They know that I will come down hard and fast on any student about whom I received a less than stellar report.

This year I've had numerous subs in my room, and I've received glowing reports from them all. They appreciate my thoughtful and complete plans, as well as my compliant and cooperative students.

:2cents:

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 30, 2008

Cassie-In your subject, as in any foreign language class, I think what you include for your sub is best. I wouldn't feel comfortable coming in and trying to teach Latin, especially since I've never had it. :D

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2008

And most people haven't! ;) That's why I don't feel comfortable asking the sub to actually teach anything.

Of course, if I found a sub who knew Latin, I wouldn't hesitate to have them teach a regular lesson just as I would. The thing is that people who are able to teach Latin usually aren't subs because they generally don't have a difficult time finding a job (if they're willing to relocate)--there are more Latin teaching jobs than there are Latin teachers.

For confirmation, just take a look at the National Latin Teacher Placement website: http://spectrum.troy.edu/~acl/states.htm#AL

25. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 30, 2008

Sorry you had a tough day! That is awful! Just think school is almost out! lol. best wishes! I sure do have a "real sub bag" I do have a bag with enough puzzles and brain teasers just for when class materials do not take as long as expected and the kids are behaving and deserve some fun down time. As well as my own stuff like lunch etc. Too bad- the one day you could have used some of your plans you did not have any! drats! Of course that is the way it would have to be! argh. Good luck!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 30, 2008

I agree that it is hard for subs to teach the students they don't know especially if it is in a content area they are not familiar with. When I had to sub for a Science or Math class I was totally out of my element. I would not expect to have to TEACH a new lesson but it doesn't help the sub out when the plans are for something that the kids absolutely hate or are bored by. That leads to a lot of behavior problems (in my experience).

27. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

I can completely understand this point, BUT! I subbed for six years and for 2 of those years I was completely certified by our state I just didnt have a job. I was always saying the same thing. Why do they leave me the busy work. Fast forward to me being the teacher of record. We are responsible for what is taught and learned in that classroom. I am sure that you are fully able to teach, but we need to know that every student gets the concepts that we teach. Maybe there are specific vocabulary words or specific concepts that yes we could leave for you but does that mean you are going to teach it exactly they way we need it to be taught, probably but not necessarily. In my district you just have to be breathing and 18 to be sub. No college, no certification. I know this is different for many places around the state and country. I never want a sub to teach a new concept, unless it is absolutley necessary. Please know this, the teacher isn't really being ugly if she leaves nothing but worksheets. In fact I leave easy days for my subs because mine dont usually want to teach. They would rather do the worksheets.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 30, 2008

At the end of the year the teacher on record is the one legally responsible for having met the curriculum. That has a lot to do with what teachers are comfortable leaving the subs to do in their absence.

29. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 30, 2008

Cassie. I agree with Smalltowngal, what you leave for your sub is great. What I'm used to receiving, though, is a DVD (or three) of Indiana Jones with instructions to "show the video". The students say they've seen the video two or three times in every class this year and you just hope for the best when the video starts. Sometimes it's possible to tie the video to class content other times not.

I figure as a teacher, you would have to watch the video as many times as I do, so I don't mind watching it. What does bother me is not being able to finish a video the next day because the teacher came back! You have no idea how many movies I've had to buy just to get to the end.