I was so mad on Monday!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

I was so mad on Monday!!!. I subbed in a district that I am only in about 3 or 4 times a year. I have been on their sub list for about three years but I just never seem to get any calls. Anyways this is not my top choice of districts and when I have a choice I always go with one of my other two districts. Well, when this job came up I decided to take it since it is getting close to Spring Break here and the jobs are scarce. I particularly do not like the school I was at because the first year the school was open I had a rude encounter with a group of teachers. Now to get to why I am so mad. I was at that school the whole day and not one of the other grade level teachers bothered to come in and ask if I had an questions and see if I was finding everything okay. Then to make matters worse a teacher in that very same cluster did not bother to tell me until 3 minutes before I was supposed to get the kids ready that I had bus duty!!!. Don't get me wrong, I am willing to do ANY duty of the regular classroom teacher as long as I know about it. This particular school has a white board magnetic system where as a class is dismissed by their teacher the teacher on bus duty is supposed to move the correct magnet over to the other side. This way no busses leave until staff make sure that every student is out of the building. This happened to be my bus duty station for the day and I was more than a little upset because I don't know about 95% of the staff at the school because this was only my third time in the building. I think it would have made more sense to give me duty of one of the teachers whose job it is to make sure kids are walking and not running.

Mldouglas

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2008

The teacher you were subbing for should have left a note with explanation that you had bus duty explaning exactly what to do. Then if you still had any questions, you would have had time to ask a neighboring teacher. As for them not checking on you, did they realize there was a sub in the room? I know there have been times I didn't realize there was sub or the other teachers didn't know the teacher I was subbing for was out. Is it testing time in your state? That could be another reason why they weren't as friendly.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2008

Mldouglas-

I hate that rudeness. I swear I read a post like this a while back on here. I had it happen to me one time where I had the last minute daycare van duty. Complete with clipboard, spreadsheet, highlighting and kids I had never seen before. It was horrible. Not only were the kids wild but parts of the list were wrong.

Even if they gave you plenty of notice I still think someone familiar with the kids should do that job and they could give you some other duty. It should be customary.

No matter how good of a sub you are it is still nice for someone to poke their head in and say "I'm so and so let me know if you need anything."

Some schools are just rude and I know it has nothing to do with you or me. I was at a school one time and a teacher walked into my room, while the kids were at art or music, and was holding a menu and a list. She said, "oh Miss Jones isn't here today?" I said "no" and she said "okay, well a bunch of us are ordering from Chili's and I was just checking to see if she wanted to order anything" and she was gone. My draw dropped. There is no excuse for that.

5. subteacher8608

subteacher8608 Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

Lemonhead, it was completely wrong for that teacher not to ask if you wanted anything for lunch! Is that school known for rude teachers? There is one school where I sub where I think some of the teachers are stuck up. Most of the time, regardless of where I sub, teachers either thank me for subbing for them or make another comment about the day when I see them around school. But at this school, there have been a couple teachers who never bothered to thank me or say anything to me...period. (Not even eye contact or a smile!) It doesn't matter if they requested me or not (they didn't) - they need to show good manners! Plus, subs do talk, and stuff like that WILL get around!

6. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

I really think it may just be the school or district

As I stated in my original post I do not sub in this district that much and one of the reasons is because two years ago when this particular building was brand new I subbed for a second grade teacher at the school. When I went into the lounge there was a huge group of female teachers sitting at a table. Not one of the teachers acknowledged that I was in the room or even offered to let me sit at their table. There is one district that I love to sub for and I always get a little upset if I accept a job in one of my other districts. The whole staffs are completely wonderful!! The other grade level teachers always come into check if I have any questions. They are always extremely helpful. The office secretaries and principal call me by my first name when they see me. At the end of the day they always ask how my day went. I really feel super appreciated in this particular district!!

Mldouglas

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2008

If you can monetarily, I wouldn't go back to this district. It sounds like they have their noses too far up into the air.

8. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

I'm so glad that I read this thread - b/c it sent my mind racing, wondering if I had ever inadvertantly made a sub feel slighted! I'll definitely keep in mind now, to poke my head into see if the sub needs anything or has questions. I never deliberately stay away, but sometimes my mind is on another planet when I'm running around trying to keep my own class in order...

So if ever slighted any of the subs in my building - I aplogize!!! :sorry:

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2008

I only sub in one district and this happened at one particular school. It is just the teachers. The admin was wonderful but I have never met one nice teacher there. This is my first year back there since the Chilis incident. I wasn't even gonna order anything!

Subteacher, I know it was completely wrong. Usually people are very nice. Maybe that teacher was just clueless, but still, they are all rude there. They aren't in a snooty area, infact it is a Title one school.

There are some snooty schools I go to and I can deal with that. Its just the rudeness like what you said about the break room Ml.

Oh well.