I was sent home

Discussion in 'General Education' started by monsieurteacher, May 27, 2010.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 27, 2010

Yes, I was sent home from work today. A substitute teacher came into my classroom and informed me that as of 12:00, I would be dismissed to go home.

Let me start from the beginning:

I have arthritis that has been VERY bad, particularly over the past month or so. I even took Tuesday off to rest my foot/ankle as it has been really bad. I popped into the walk-in clinic and got some new medication, which had been working alright. This morning was the first time that I was able to walk down the stairs normally. So I was very happy to be going to school pretty much pain-free.

Unfortunately, this morning was our Jump Rope for Heart day, where there were multiple stations set up that we had to go to as classes. Well, during the very first station, one of my students ran up to my TA to give her a hug, but ended up kicking her (completely accidentally - I know that sounds crazy... you just have to know this kid to know that it IS possible) I could tell that she was in a lot of pain, so I started off to get the student away, and in the process, managed to twist my ankle. I hobbled from station to station for the rest of the morning until recess. During recess, I wheeled my office chair to the staff room (next door from my class) and ate there. Then wheeled back for the Daily Five... got an ice pack and put my foot up while I read a story. It was so much worse than it had ever been...

So that's why I got sent home. Now here I sit with my foot up and an ice pack, wishing that I could just be at school.

3. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 27, 2010

Sorry to hear of your injury....I hope you're feeling better!

Take good care of yourself and go get 'em again!

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 27, 2010

Poor you! How many days do you have left to get through? Hope you feel better real soon! :hugs:

5. monsieurteacher

May 27, 2010

I've got 21 teaching days left, and thanks for the well wishes!

6. Nate

Nate Companion

May 27, 2010

You're lucky to have an admin that cares enough to send people home--too many teachers work through the flu and other illnesses/injuries when they should stay home.

7. monsieurteacher

May 27, 2010

I have an amazing administration at my school, and realize that I'm incredibly blessed with this.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! Is it feeling any better? The mom in me also has to ask if you went to have it looked at? I hope you're able to be back at work soon.

9. monsieurteacher

May 27, 2010

It's feeling a bit better, but I haven't been walking on it nearly as much as I had been.

I didn't have it looked at, as I had just gone to the clinic on Tuesday. I've been following the RICE principle though... Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

I'm planning on going back tomorrow... I think I'll be ok, and then rest up over the weekend as I head into the homestretch. (Final four weeks!)

10. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 27, 2010

Glad to hear that your condition appears to be improving. Get better soon!

11. monsieurteacher

Jun 3, 2010

Update time:

I had a rheumatolgist appointment today, and they gave me a cortisone shot, so I'm off work today and tomorrow.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 3, 2010

Talk about dedication! But I think we all understand why a teacher would stay at school when we're hurt (or sick). I was happy to see you didn't get "sent home" permanently (worried me!).

I remember coming in with fevers over 100* last year because I wanted to get through the curriculum with my students. No I shouldn't have done it, but I felt even worse if I had stayed home.