I want you all to know that you're awesome.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Expo Markers, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Oct 23, 2013

Special Education holds a place near and dear to my heart- I used to be one of those kids in your classes.

I started in Early Intervention as a 3.5 y/o that couldn't even talk. I was diagnosed with Asperger's and NVLD; and was taught ASL in order to communicate.

The speech pathologist got me talking again, in due time. The occupational therapist helped me overcome a myriad of overstimulation issues. And, you guys, you all made education accessible for me when I couldn't be in a general education class.

And throughout my years in the programs, from state to state, you all have helped me improve exponentially from where I was. Of course, there are good teachers and bad ones, but I was blessed to meet some excellent teachers along the way.

People like you have helped people like me in more ways than I could ever express. Without you all, I may never have been able to be independent- leave alone on target with my peers!

And now, I'm a 19 year old going through a program to become a secondary math teacher, half tuition paid with a merit scholarship. I hope to be able to take some SPED classes so I can test for that certification as well.

I know that those classes can seem like jail cells.

I know that the burnout is atrocious and you all give every iota of energy in you to make that happen.

But, from a former benefactor of the program, I wanted to say a heartfelt "Thank You!"

Because you all deserve it! :hugs:

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 23, 2013

Well, how nice! Thanks for the thanks!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 23, 2013

If you're in a position to do so, please go tell the teachers that have worked with you this exact speech. It will mean more to them than you can even imagine. Especially if you are able to track down anyone who worked with you in elementary school. I can honestly say that it would mean the world to me if one of my former students ever tells me anything 1/10 this meaningful and heartfelt.

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 23, 2013

Agreeing with gr3teacher. It truly means more than any gift card, any hand-drawn picture... just to hear that all of our work wasn't in vain.

Thanks for this message...today was a day I really needed to hear it. :)

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2013

I needed to read something like this right now. I'm on the verge of that burnout you speak of. Thanks!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2013

Awesome. :wub:

8. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2013

Speaking as a former special education student who is now in the process of getting an education degree, definitely contact your old special education teacher(s) like the above poster said.

9. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Oct 23, 2013

I'm trying to find her now- there has certainly been a change in their staff since I was there!

I'm still looking, though.

But, seriously- you all don't hear it enough. ^^

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2013

Beautiful, Expo Markers. Thank you.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2013

That statement just struck me as funny! Some Expos are really beautiful!! :lol::lol::lol:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2013

Thank you so much for that post! And I agree that if you can track down those teachers and thank them in person, then it will mean so much more! Thank you again!

Shows the importance of correct punctuation!

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 24, 2013

THANK YOU!

Your post was so needed this week!

14. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Nov 7, 2013

I'm also an ASPIE too!

I've been teaching for 14 years now. I currently assist students at a special school which serves the needs of students with multiple and developmental disabilities including autism. You're not alone in wanting to say thank you for all those special teachers who saw a seed that needed love to grow. If it weren't for my Lord, my parents and these special teachers in my life, I wouldn't be here as a witness that you do make a difference.

God bless you all,

Troy