I want to TEACH!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msfeo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. msfeo

msfeo New Member

Mar 1, 2010

I am currently living in NJ and teaching Emotionally/Behaviorally Disabled inner city high schoolers.

I went to school for SPED. I have a NJ Teacher of the Handicapped K-12 license. I have most of my experience teaching ED/BD students, primarily inner city, 2 years experience high school, and one year experience middle school.

It's taken me three years to realize that I *hate* where special education is going. Many jobs around here in SPED are being offered in either ED/BD at the high school level, or as In Class Support (which I *hate*). I'm tired of working with students who cuss at me, who steal from me, who lie about me, and who push me- all without consequences.

I've always loved the younger grades. I can be *so* creative when it comes to the little ones. My experience in SPED and my ability to identify children with special needs will be an asset to me as an elementary teacher. I just have one problem- how the heck do it do it?!

I am currently eligible for a NJ K-5 license (and just waiting on the state to issue it). However, given my experience, I have applied for jobs just to be pushed into a high school ED/BD. It is my feeling that I need to get my BA in Elementary Education, obtain that K-5 and start fresh- completely wiping my resume clean of SPED for fear I will be tossed into a SPED class again. Does anyone else think this is necessary, or am I out of my mind? What would be course load be like (if there is anyone out there who has done this or something similar)?

Also- where can I find elementary ed jobs? I am looking to relocate anywhere (Alaska, and Hawaii are not out of the question). Who needs elementary teachers?? Also- what is the process like to get an out of state license? I know some states allow reciprocity, but if they don't how difficult is it? HELP ME! I neeeed to get out of this situation!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2010

Well, I know of many, many elementary ed teachers who used to be in special ed. THey didn't go back to school and start all over though. Perhaps if you substitute teach for a while in an elementary school setting, you can put on your resume your experience in the lower levels. Also, volunteering is another good way to gain experience and get to know the staff.

The trouble is, there really are no teaching jobs. They are out there, it's just, there is a lot of competition. There are many threads on this website asking, "where are the jobs at?"

Subbing and volunteering, though, is what I would do.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 1, 2010

My principal would hire you in a heartbeat. She likes having teachers with a special ed background. To bad there is a hiring freeze in my district. We will be losing 5-25 teachers and support staff members. Considering that there is only 125 or so certified teachers in our district, this is not good.

5. bros

bros Phenom

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Mar 1, 2010

We have teachers who are in the general education classrooms who also have a special education license. I can think of two of our teachers (K and 3rd) who started in special education and then have moved into general education. It's seem as a HUGE plus, I think, to have the special education experience because you can guarantee that you will have children in your class with special needs (diagnosed and especially in primary...undiagnosed). The state of Colorado allows you to submit your resume, college and grad school transcripts, teaching experience, other work experience to the alternative licensure program. They review all your information and then let you know what you need to work towards another teaching license. I started off in secondary English education and now have an early childhood license. Pretty big switch...but one of the best decisions I have ever made. Good luck to you!

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 1, 2010

I also hate where special education has gone. The only special ed is ES. They throw kids who are up to 4 years below grade level in the regular ed classes. My degree is in el/spec ed, but I teach regular ed. You are in my neck of the woods. It seems to me that the urban districts are the only places hiring. Good luck. :)