I want to switch to elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

Hi everyone! :)

I don't know if anyone could help me,but I figured I could post a question and I would get some advice. I currently hold a provisional teaching certificate in NJ (will recieve my traditional in Sept.) I was told that by my university last year that my certification would be for K-12. On my certificate it states: "Teacher of English" would I need to take any additional tests or undergo any more courses to apply for teaching jobs in elementary?

If anyone could let me know anything it would be great!

3. MsX

MsX Companion

Apr 18, 2008

I'm definitely not an expert on the topic (NJ certification confuses me!), but I think it would be possible for your to teach with your current certification. I would imagine you would have to go the "alternate route," however. Look up information about that because it might be useful to you. I would think if you didn't want to go the alternate route, you'd probably have to go back and take some elementary classes. I could be wrong though!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 18, 2008

I'm from NJ--- certain master degrees will allow you to teach K-12... I'm not sure about B.S. I would call your college though and ask them what the degree allows you to be certified in and discuss changing over with someone in your Education department. They SHOULD know what to do... but some professors as just as confused :)

5. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Apr 18, 2008

I also have a "Teacher of English" NJ certification. I also have an elementary one. You can teach English, probably down to fifth grade, in a departmentalized situation. I have a friend who has English certification. When she was in an elementary school if was for 6th and th grade English and language arts. The fifth grade teachers in our school are departmentalized. They recently were told they had to take the Praxis. Although we are in an elementary school, departmentalized fifth grades need to be highly qualified in what they are teaching.

Good luck!