I want to see your Moodle!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 20, 2009

:help: Last summer, I had to quickly pick up on how to use Moodle since my school uses them. We're allowed enough freedom that we can decide HOW we want to use them, as long as we use them. I tried a few different ideas on mine and had some parents say it was TOO much to look at, while other parents loved that I had ALL OF IT up there.

So I'd like to get a chance to see how other teachers are using their Moodle sites at schools. I would post my own up here, but we're a private community so I can't. :( If yours is private too, please at least share what you include at your Moodle (maybe screen shots??). :thanks:

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

BioAngel, I am totally re-doing my this summer and am only about 1/3 of the way done. I will share with you when I am done. I guess the biggest difference is my moodle is for my students and I don't think parents look at our moodle at all. But give me another week and I will be ready to share. ;)

4. BioAngel

Jul 20, 2009

Thank you INteacher! I don't have to start redoing mine until late August so I can be patient :) And hopefully other teachers will post theirs in the mean time.

5. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

6. BioAngel

Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for sharing :D I was wondering if you liked using the weekly boxes compared to the topic boxes? I have mine set up as topic boxes but I'm wondering if I should use weekly boxes next year.

Right now I have a few boxes on mine:
    1. Science Course Outline--- what my Moodle page has
    2. Homework Weekly assignment box
    3. Tips on doing better in science
    4. Classroom Assignment box (If you lose a copy you can download another one here)
    5. Homework Assignment box (No excuses for not doing homework this way)

Now I'm wondering if it would just be easier for me to have weekly versions of all 5 boxes in one box. (I hope that made sense :blush:)

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Is a Moodle like a website with assignments??? Sorry still a newbie.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

Yes and a lot more - students can turn in assignments, post messages to teachers, make comments on assignments, go to links to complete projects - I love moodle!!

9. BioAngel

Jul 20, 2009

It's something like that yes--- it's sorta allows you to have resources, such as discussion forums, download, links, glossaries, etc for your class to use.

Here's some screen shots of mine. I changed it each time we started a new unit. This was our last one on solar energy.

Outline topic box...
    [​IMG]

Homework Assignment topic box
    [​IMG]

There's different activities you can do too, like have quizzes on there (that allow for different types of questions from multiple choice to fill in), Wiki's, Survey, Mindmap, etc.

The first image also shows where you can add news for students to read. I included science articles from different sites that I knew my students would like. But you can also do class news, etc and it has a calendar feature too which you can put up test dates, project dates, assignment due dates, etc.

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Very cool! What grade level do you start using that?

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

I use my for my high schoolers - the feature I like best is the "turn in assignment." It saves paper; they have until midnight of the due date to turn in the assignment and it records the date and time the assignment is turned in; big projects done on powerpoint don't have to be printed out, etc . . . I also have my students take quizzes, write quizzes for other students, complete my webquests and take notes. It really is a very useful classroom tool.

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

I'm in first and use it with my kiddos! They love it!
    I've been doing some more training this summer and am adding quizzes & lessons.

BioAngel- I like using the weekly boxes because so much of what we do in primary is divided that way already.

13. BioAngel

Jul 20, 2009

My school starts using them at Pre-K I think--- I believe all grades have them available to use.

One reason I really enjoy Moodle is because I often find that students who don't do homework in their notebooks WILL do their homework if they have to go online and type it up.

14. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I love moodle. However, the student population I work with does not have consistent access to the internet outside of school. I use it mostly for things in class because I think it is important for my students to know how to use all kinds of tools.

15. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

You want to see my what??? :blush:

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

I have moved to a new elementary so am "redoing" my moodle page to go with my new school since we are a school that is heavy in technology (projectors, activboards, lots of computer based instruction). I took an course this summer so that I could learn to do the quizzes and the Hot Potato quizzes. If things work out as planned (still trying to get it all done for the first units in Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts) then I will have VERY LITTLE hand grading (most quizzes/test will be computer graded) so all I will be required to do is transfer it to the grading program. :) I am looking forward to it (immensely)!!!!!!

17. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jul 21, 2009

So WHEN do you Moodle? If kids are turning in assignments, then they're most likely doing it from home / outside school hours. Seems like a lot of outside school hours work for the teacher, too.

18. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jul 21, 2009

My ACP uses Moodle for all of the coursework. It is all online. The idea is to get teachers used to using it, and preparing teachers to teach in the digital age.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

Actually no - most of the quizzes grade themselves, students turn in essays and I grade them in word format and return via moodle, my grade book is interfaced with my moodle so I don't have to re-enter grades, my quizzes, tests and assignments are stored so I can pick and choose which one to use. I really think once the orginal set-up is done, it takes me less time every year.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

Our district uses a product called Angel Learning/LMS instead of Moodle, but it does basically the same thing.

I can't tell you how much I love the digital drop boxes. I never hear "I turned that in! You must have lost it!" because it's all right there, date and time stamped. :D

The best part is the auto grading of quizzes. I've become so spoiled that I'm not sure I could go back to teaching without it.

Here's what LMS looks like:

"Home Screen" for the course
    [​IMG]

"Lessons" screen:
    [​IMG]

"Gradebook" screen
    [​IMG]

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

Each of our students has his own laptop, so pretty much everything is done at school during class. We're very lucky. I imagine these types of programs would be much less useful in a traditional environment.

I can't tell you how much time it has saved me in grading, though. And I NEVER have to bring home papers. As a matter of fact, my class is virtually paperless. I grade everything in digital format.

22. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I use Moodle to have the kids do their tests. They get instant graded feedback, and I can reset and they can retest at nearly anytime later.

23. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I use the topic view instead of the calendar view. I teach 6th grade math so I use each "topic" for one of the chapters. Under each topic I can post games, quizzes, tests, etc.

Unfortunately I cannot link to my moodle from here. In our district, our moodle sites are on a secure network and you must use your user name and password to access it. Students can access moodle from home, but still have to use their usernames and passwords.

I love moodle. I have so much more to learn, but so far I've truly enjoyed what it offers!