I WANT TO RECOMMEND LOOPING :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Jul 28, 2007.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

Well ladies and gentlemen I just completed my first day with students. I looped with several (14) of my students from 2nd grade. I had 7 new students added to my class. We had our first day yesterday and it was WONDERFUL. I spent 1/2 the time that I had intended teaching rules and procedures because they remembered what I expect and filled in the new students before I even covered it. I was able to get a small oral reading assessment that I didn't think I would get to until the middle of next week and the same for math. If yesterday was any indication about how the rest of the year is going to go then it is going to be the best year yet out of 12. I was so much less stressed compared to some of my teammates that I kind of felt bad. One of them was talking about a small situation and I couldn't say that it had happened in my class. So if you ever have a good class and are offered the opportunity to loop then you need to jump at the chance. It is AWESOME.

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

thats awesome. I will be looping 3rd to 4th. I'm starting with 3rd grade this year. I'd love to know about your experiences.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

As a teacher I have never looped but my son did first to second grade. It was a wonderful experience for him. Of course his teacher was one of the best teachers ever! I wish the district I work for would do looping.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

One of my returning parents made me feel good during open house. There were 2 of my new parents in there and she came in. One of the new parents asked her a question while I was talking to the other new parent. I heard her reply "when she sent home the looping letter I was so excited I signed it YES before I asked my son. I knew he would want to stay with her anyway but he was going to just due to the fact she did such a wonderful job with him last year."

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

MEeissa that is exactly how I felt about my son's teacher! Have a great year!

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

I really, really want to loop from first to second grade next year. I think It would be amazing! I don't know if I'd be guarrenteed a spot back in first grade though.

Do you loop with every class? Or only classes that you feel really work well together?

8. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I did a three year loop and it was great but at the end of three years I was ready to send them on their way (with lots of love). I did my student teaching in first grade and took the same group on to 2nd and then on to 3rd.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I wanted to loop from 4th to 5th this year because I loved my kids, but I'm staying in 4th. Maybe this will happen for me someday. It would be really incredible. :)

It must be neat to watch them grow! Ehh.. I'll just go across the hall on a few breaks to say hello to my fifth graders. :wub:

I am glad your first day was a successful one. I can feel now that this may be my most prepared and relaxed start... :cool:

10. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I've looped with the majority of my kids since 1st grade (we'll be in 4th this year.) My class is pretty good for the most part and I love the fact that I don't have to spend very much time at the beginning of the year on those getting to know you activities, rules, and procedures since they already know all that.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 28, 2007

If I had stayed with my position from last year. I could have had the same students for 9 years. :D Talk about being trained the first day of school.