I want to quit teaching right before the year starts.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ssteacher11, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Let me start this out by saying that I am a second-year teacher in the state of South Carolina; I teach 10th and 11th grade Social Studies. My first year went awesome; I only had positive reviews and my principal was excited to ask me to sign on for another year.

I have always had issues with anxiety, but they really started rearing their head again at the end of the year into the summer. Obviously having an anxiety disorder affects your confidence in the classroom.

My anxiety has increased ever since the school has forced me to start coaching the varsity tennis team despite the fact that I have zip-zero background in tennis. Practice has not been going well so far because I don't know anything about the sport; I've tried buying books about it and talking to other teachers.

On top of that, the school has assigned me to teach a brand new Social Studies class this year that literally has no curriculum, sending me off on my own to come up with one. Its goal is to prepare low-level students for the state exam, but my principal openly told me that no curriculum is mapped out and it's up to me to do so.

On top of THAT, I received my rosters yesterday. My classes are huge, and all of the kids that were kicked out of the school last year are seriously in my classes. I know sometimes newer teachers get a raw deal, but these are infamous kids that everyone knows about because they have criminal records. I can't even believe they are being allowed back into a regular classroom environment, to be honest with you. I had a mother who threatened me last year before her three sons were sent to an alternative school for the remainder of the year, and I have all three of her triplet sons in my classes again...

I toyed with the idea of leaving the profession before signing my contract for this year, but I decided against it because the economy is rough and things went well during my first year.

However, I'm sitting here in tears, my hands shaking right now because I don't feel like I can face this in just a couple of short weeks. My family and friends tell me I'm being oversensitive and it's just part of being a teacher, but I can't do this.

What will happen to me if I resign next week? My contract doesn't specify what will happen, although I do know I couldn't teach in the state of SC for a full year if I break a contract without an excusable reason such as prolonged illness as this is outlined on the SC Dept. of Ed. website.

Am I being ridiculous?

Help... :/

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

Are you in treatment for your anxiety?

My anxiety was out of control in grad school, in check for my first year of teaching, and out of control again my second year. I now take a medication for it and love the way I feel.

4. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I was on meds, but I had a bad reaction to them and stopped during my junior year of college. Being that it's been a couple of years, I kind of thought I had learned to deal with it. I hate to start a new type of meds right before school starts because there's no guarantee that I wouldn't react similarly to those and experimentation at the beginning of the year doesn't seem smart to me... :/

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

Perhaps you should try another medication. I mean, if it weren't for the anxiety, would you be enjoying your job?

6. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

That's what is hard for me to tell because I am in the midst of my anxiety. With the way the conditions are right now regarding the huge classes, problem students, and forced coaching, I don't think I would even if I DID NOT have anxiety. But anxiety does always make everything seem more unconquerable.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I don't know. I have never had anxiety so it's hard for me to say. In my opinion, though, I would try a different medication. Your other option is to let the anxiety win, and I wouldn't want that. If it prohibits you from teaching, it will do the same in other fields. I think you need to find a way to control the anxiety first before making the decision to resign.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2011

Can you talk to your principal and see if there is a way to transfer students out of your classes? Talk to other teachers and explain your situation-- they might be able to move them into their classes.

I would out right REFUSE to let those 3 students into my classroom if their mother threatened me. If you're a part of the union, talk to them about having them help you. If you're not I would have a serious sit down discussion with the principal about your safety.

I found this forum thread that might be able to help you some-- maybe get into contact with the members there: http://www.tennisw.com/forums/showthread.php?1231-Being-a-tennis-Coach

As for the new course, just do your best. If its been mapped out that's a start-- not a lot, but its something. Update your map as you go along.

Remember to breathe :) And take each day as it comes.

9. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for your encouragement. :) The thing is that this mother has literally threatened every teacher these kids have ever had; she even cursed out a pregnant teacher and threatened to come to her home once she went on maternity leave at spring break. As an administrator, I would refuse to let these kids back in for a billionth chance.

10. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I am also in SC! Shame on your school for making you coach a sport you know nothing about and for stacking your class. How can the school make you coach? Do you have to do some sort of extracurricular activity to meet ADEPT? Are all of your classes stacked in that you would have a class full of behavior problems all day long? I would go to the doctor and express your concerns. I would also go to your P and ask for help. If you are a 2nd year in SC I would imagine you would being going through your formal evaluation this year in order to receive your professional certificate. I would remind my P of this and ask if he/she has any suggestions of other teachers or resources you can talk to to get help with the new curriculum in social studies.

Good Luck!!:)

I know a little of how you feel. I get the behavior problems each year..while others get model classes!

11. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Hey there. :) Yes, I will be going through Adept. I would be having very severe behavioral problems in each of the classes in which one of these boys is present, which is scattered throughout the day in first, fourth, and seventh periods. I literally will not have a break from them.

The problem is that they are in 11th grade and I am one of only two 11th grade teachers; the other one is our department head, and I hate to ask him to take one of them... I told him about my issue, and he just rolled his eyes at the fact that they were allowed back in our school. I would think if he was willing to take one of them on, he would have offered it.

Our district had a weird crack-down where they went through the system and looked for all teachers who were not leading an extracurricular and basically assigned ones to us; all I did last year was help out with FCA. They offered me this or cheerleading, and cheerleading is a huge competitive deal here, so I didn't want angry cheerleading moms yelling at me. I figured tennis was the lesser of two evils.

Do you know anything about what will happen if I break my contract, being that you are in SC, too?

And you know how great SC is: NO teacher's union at all to consult with. UGH.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

I do think maybe you should try to find a new med. I have anxiety as well and I can't imagine trying to treat it without meds. I rarely take the meds, but I have them if I need them. I also take an antidepressant that treats anxiety as well which is more than likely why I don't have to take the xanax often.

As a second year teacher you will have to finish ADEPT so there will be pressure there too. I personally would be afraid that if I left a job, after signing the contract after I've had only 1 year of experience that it would be very difficult to find another job teaching in the future. BUT, if you aren't happy then you should move on. The question you need to ask yourself is "DO I want to teach the rest of my life?" "Is this what I want, Does it feel right?".

Can you talk to your admin and tell them your concerns? If you are comfortable enough just tell them you are having issues with anxiety, on top of that you will be having to complete the SAFET (ADEPT) training, then throwing in tennis coach, and a new course is just too much for you and you really need to take something off the plate. Tell them you simply can not handle all that right now. But only if you are comfortable talking to your admin.

Last year a first year teacher at my school had to coach a sport and it's like this. Does it really matter if you win matches or not?? Her priority was teaching and getting through her first year. She did the best she could do but didn't put pressure on herself for the sport. They are making you coach when you have no experience, then they can't expect you to be state champs!!!

Hang in there and best of luck with your decision. :hugs:

13. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

:agreed:

That is correct! As soon as you let the anxiety win, it will win everywhere. Trust me, I've been there and done that! It starts taking over like slow moving lava; creeping in and taking everything over!!

14. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I agree with Hwilson...as far a breaking your contract It would depend on if they can replace you or not. Now of course I am sure they could, but they could be jerks and say they could not find a proper candidate to replace you in time for the year to start. This could result in you having to pay back your salary.

15. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

If she threatens you, get a restraining order on her. anytime you need to communicate with her in person or on the phone, record the conversation. Save any threatening emails to show as proof as well. My friend is a hs teacher. Someone she works with was a lawyer before going into teaching... Anytime a student threatens him, he gets a restraining order, and the student HAS to be removed from his class.

16. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

You are right. I live on my own and there's no way I could realistically pay my bills if I quit.

I guess I just have to deal with this... I will take on the attitude about the sport that you all have suggested. I just have to keep remembering this is only until the end of October; then I can focus on just teaching again.

If I have to teach all three of the boys, how do you suggest I handle it? I gave them so many opportunities to do well last year, and the mom still tried to throw me under the bus to administration. She came to my classroom to try to confront me repeatedly, and she scares the sh** out of me, to be quite honest! Administration knows she's nuts and sided with all the teachers whenever she raised cain, but it's pretty darn stressful to have a mom calling you every day and storming down the hall to your room confronting you about lies her kids told her to save their own butts. She seriously told our principal that I told her son to "shut the f*** up" during class. Why in the world would I do that?!

To you veterans, how do you handle it when you're stuck with really awful kids who honestly don't care about ever getting out of high school and who have parents that think they're the best thing since sliced bread? They have openly told me they don't care if they end up in their mom's basement for the rest of their lives, and she lies and cheats for them all the time...

Our administration is not very strong as they are all newbies, so I have talked to them before. Any tactical classroom management strategies you would suggest?

17. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I hate to go through all that trouble, but unfortunately you're right that sometimes that's the only option.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Ok.... Calm down. First thing you want to do is talk to your administration. Tell them first and foremost about the parent that threatened you. You should let your administrators know that you do not feel comfortable teaching the kids of that parent. That is perfectly within your rights. Next, I would tell your administration that you are extremely concerned about the tennis team. Just say, I can do this... but I have no idea what I am doing. This is not my forte and I am just flying blind here. (At least the tennis season is really short.) Remember you do know that you have this problem with anxiety and since you have already proven that you can teach, I think that it is perfectly acceptable to let your administration know that you have this condition. They cannot fire you for that. That would be against the law. Ok... before you jump ship, think about what a great job you did last year. Talk yourself back UP. You DID a great job. Hope this works out. I know this is tough.:hugs:

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2011

Okay, I get you-- we have a Mom who has caused a lot of issues for a lot of teachers and some of the moms at my school. So she's an equal-opportunity hater.

Then I would say at least document (with date and time, what happened) when ever something does happen. If you need to contact her by phone, request that another teacher or administrator be present for the phone call (put it on speaker) and the same with any face-to-face meeting. (I'd also keep a can of mase handy too just in case)

When I was student teaching, I had to deal with some 18 and 19-year-olds who would come to my class high and curse me and the cooperating teacher out. I was extremely fearful to turn my back on these kids-- I remember crying my eyes out in the parking lot before going in to class in the mornings, but I survived. I at least promised myself that I would show them as much love as possible-- one of the kids had no clue where his parents were (they were some other country) and he had to live with his uncle who was not home most of the time. Nobody could do anything to help him because by then he was already 18, but he did have a good heart, just no decent guidance in his life. At least go in there on the first day and show the students that while they might already know you and have a reputation, you're willing to give them a fresh start-- I'm sure they would appreciate that.

20. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

Any tactical classroom management strategies you would suggest?[/QUOTE]

<Maybe you should think about this Power Teaching. I am planning to start this in my classroom this year because we have a very difficult group moving up. I've talked about it with my admin and they think it will work well and they are excited to watch it. Check out Youtube. There are videos of all grade levels using the technique (even college) and if you decide you want to do it, Ive been working on a Power Point to use the first day to introduce this method. I would be happy to email it to you since time is so limited for you right now. Check out the videos first and if you like it, download the free ebook. I downloaded the ebook for teaching challenging teens in MS and HS. I took notes while I read it and then made a PP. Im going to use cue cards the first day b/c the ebook tells you exactly what to say.

Here is a link of how to get started.
    Here's part 2

My heart breaks for you becasue I understand your concern ... I so hope it gets better. :love:

21. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I really appreciate the advice you shared, HWilson. I'll have to check that out.

SCTeachInTX: Unfortunately, districts in SC do not have to give a reason for terminating a teacher. It's called a "right to work" state, which is ironic because it simply means that an employer can terminate you for any reason at any point in time. The district even told us during our "first year teacher" meetings to not get too confident because they could in fact terminate us at any point in time, even if we were kicking butt in the classroom! We also do not have a teacher's union in SC, so we're kind of on our own out here...

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Friend, I know the laws well in SC. They STILL have to keep you safe. I also know that there are mental health laws out there that protect you. Once you let admin know your problem, you could sue the pants off of them if they tried to terminate you. Having said that, I can understand why you don't want to rock the boat and tell them about your issues. That is always your choice. But I WOULD talk to them about this parent. Let them know that you do not feel safe since this parent threatened you last year. You need to have this conversation to protect yourself. And the reason that districts threaten with that kind of stuff is because no one ever calls them on it.

It seems that you are most anxious about the parent situation. I would start there. Talk to your administration. They like you and will have some solutions for you. If you don;t say something, just know that you are going to continue to get the raw end of things.

Wishing you good luck. And just because you are young and new, does not mean that you have to be subjected to abuse of any kind. The thought of that just makes me MAD! :mad:

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

Talk to your doctor about your anxiety! You said you were on meds for it before, but then had problems. Try something different!!

I thought I had my anxiety under control and had thought about stopping my meds. I miss a pill here or there, maybe a couple nights running. Last fall I waited until the last day to renew my script. My insurance refused to pay for it, they wanted me on something cheaper. So the pharmacy had to contact my dr. I was not taking anything for almost a week. By day 2 or 3 I was a MESS! I was using all of my relaxation techniques just to be able to go to work. I held it together during the day, but fell apart at night. It was a rough week & showed me that even though I didn't think the meds helped me the really did.

My new meds don't help me as well & when I go in for my physical I'm going to be talking to my dr. about it.

Talk to your doctor about your anxiety!!

24. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Milsey- I'm coming here to try to deal with these issues and I don't appreciate your rude comment. Aren't we here to uplift one another rather than talk about whining?

SCTeachInTX- I guess I should have seen SC in your username! :p I guess the profs where I went to college were always so busy complaining that SC doesn't have unions that I kind of felt like I was completely unprotected. I've been thinking about everything you have said, and I'm going to the school on Monday to work on my classroom; our principal should be there, so I'm going to set up a time to meet with him about my concerns. I appreciate all of your advice.

kpa1b2- Thanks for understanding. I'm going to set up an appt. and try to find something new. :)

25. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

We are here to support you and help. Just overlook the rude comments. They are inappropriate! Best of luck! Let us know how it goes Monday!! :)

26. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 29, 2011

This sounds very similar to my first teaching job -- incidentally, in a GA town on the SC border -- where I was given ALL of the "thug" classes while the veterans coasted along with the gifted groups. I do not believe in/appreciate the concept of "I've paid my dues, so let the new person take those classes." That's why I left teaching after three years. I eventually returned, but in a different system with a totally different philosophy.

So, should you quit? I did...and even though it was scary, it was the right thing to do. My life was hell as long as I worked at that school. I'd develop migraines every Sunday because the next day was Monday...I'm sure you understand. I, too, had awful parents and criminal students. One suggested that I start taking a new route home each day, because he could see me and he knew I had a new car, although I hadn't told anyone else; the school's response was, "Get a cellphone." I got a carry permit and an alarm system instead. I had one student try to blow up the building by turning on the Bunsen burners (he had matches in his pocket); I had one student leave Polaroids on my desk of dogs she had butchered (she knew I loved dogs) and even though this student stalked another teacher, the school did NOTHING; and 20 of my students were busted in a drug sting. I stayed through three years and am ashamed that I didn't leave sooner. I have nothing but the utmost contempt for this particular school system. My understanding is that nothing has changed in the nearly 20 years since I was there. Anyway, as for you...take care of yourself first and foremost, whether you stay or find other ways of making a living. Life is too short to be miserable.

27. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

The bottom line is that you are going to have to teach these 3 students. Start the year with a fresh slate. Chances are these students will try you because they will feel you are holding something against them from previous years. Document any incidents, including the mother's response. You do not have to communicate with the parent individually, but you do have to communicate with her. If she is unable to participate in a conference in a civil manner, immediately stop the conversation, tell her to schedule a meeting with the principal, and walk away. Lock your classroom door; buzz the office to have her removed. However, the key here is to treat the students and the mother the same way you would any other student/parent THIS year until they have proven otherwise. If you treat them based on past experiences, you have created a bias and you will never be able to work effectively with the students or parent. I have had several extremely challenging situations---I was once assaulted by the same student 3 times during the school year, and he was never removed from my room.

28. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I don't have problems with anxiety, but I still get anxious before the beginning of the year, and I have been at this for about 20 years! So, I think some anxiety is normal. Try to take a deep breath and relax. I know that isn't easy:)
    I wouldn't worry about the tennis. The tennis players can probably help each other quite a bit. The season is short, and will be over before you know it.
    Parents can be bullies. Is there an experienced staff member in your building that could help you set up a plan for dealing with this parent or even the students with problems? It helps to know you aren't alone. I think having a plan would help you be less anxious. I would not allow her to bully you though. Stand up for yourself. Document everything!!
    Does exercise help reduce the anxiety? Maybe yoga? Running?
    Good luck with all of this. Don't let the anxiety win!!

29. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 29, 2011

Two other things --
    I have the number of an excellent employee law attorney in Atlanta (I had to sue the above-referenced school system and my current system over a back-pay snafu, and he came through for me!). I'll be happy to share if you ever need it. ALSO - the snide comment posted earlier is the only time I've ever seen such a nasty post in this forum, and I reported it to the admin. Really, everybody else here is just terrific! God bless you and keep you safe and well. Keep us posted.

30. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Hitchcock fan: Thank you. I hope I don't have to take you up on that, but it's good to know I have a resource if I have to do that.

I appreciate everyone else's positivity. I think I have found my new favorite website. :)

I have signed my contract and made a commitment. While the administrators at my school are not that strong because they are all rather new, they are trying and there's something to be said for that. Quitting at this point would diminish my possibilities of getting another teaching job virtually anywhere because I would have poor references, and it's kind of crappy to leave them hanging two weeks before school starts...

I like what you guys said about starting with a blank slate with these kids. Maybe the time at the alternative school changed these kids in some sort of way and that's why they are back at our school. Even though they probably haven't changed, I need to go into the year assuming that maybe they have and make sure I'm not just expecting them to cause a commotion. I was talking with a friend tonight who teaches at another school in SC, and she mentioned that my administrators already know how psycho this mom is, so I just need to be civil with her and walk away from the situation if she is threatening or rude to me. I do need to communicate with her, but I don't need to take her bullying.

I also just found out that my department head is teaching one section of the test-preparation course, so hopefully we can work together to devise a plan for how to approach this. I wish we had more time (school starts August 15th!), but I guess it's good to know I have a resource now.

I'll keep y'all updated!

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Good. And do talk to your administration. It is good to document that you have concerns and if something happens, they can yank those rowdy dudes right out of your class. As for the tennis situation... well, think of it as a stress reliever and go hit some balls with the girls. If the going gets tough, hit some balls AT the girls. Ha ha! Just kidding!!!!!!!!!

Take care of YOU!

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 29, 2011

Wow, sounds like you have a good game plan falling into place. Excellent! The main thing I can offer you is to document like crazy. Even if you don't need this for legal or punitive reasons, it will help you reflect on your progress with your classes. This isn't the same as blogging, so you can be brutally honest. Nobody but you is going to read it unless something weird or bad happens.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

But.. . don't be like my 15 yr. old son & his friends. They went to go play tennis yesterday, my son has never played, but the others had. He comes home, asks how it went & he tells me good.

It isn't until my hubby goes to fb & finds out that they forgot the tennis balls. :lol::lol:

Good luck & know that we're here for you!

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

getting on at the end of this but I just wanted to ask, have you had a frank and serious discussion with your tennis team about your ability to coach tennis? If you haven't, I think it will take a LOAD of your mind to have this discussion with your team. I think they will appreicate your honesty, and actually build team morale. I might also suggest in this dicussion that you suggest your team captains take on a bigger leadership role. Now, if you are brave enough, you might have this same talk with your team parents ~ you never know, you might have a parent that would love to help (just make sure you follow district rules for lay coaches or parent volunteers).

Let me know what areas you will be teaching ~ I have taught just about every SS subject. If you would like, I would love to share anything I have to help you out.

35. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

It's so good to hear you are feeling a little better about the situation. Keep your chin up, come here to vent, and remember every experience is a learning experience. YOU WILL SURVIVE!

Also, if you decide you want to do the Power Teaching, I will be more than happy to send you the PP that I have already prepared. That will save you some time! :)

36. ssteacher11

ssteacher11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

INTeacher: I am teaching Global Studies and American History. I actually do have a lot of resources after having an amazing student teaching experience, but I may hit you up down the road! ;)

I have been honest with the girls; their parents honestly aren't that involved because of the fact that they are varsity, so they are juniors and seniors. They drive themselves to practice and have been playing long enough that they handle everything themselves. Most of the girls have been very receptive to me and have even been helpful in catching me up to speed, but a few of them that are very serious about the sport seem rather annoyed that I know diddly squat, which is understandable being that they want to continue to play at the college level. :p

37. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 29, 2011

I feel for you!

Don't parents have to sign in? Couldn't the office intervene and keep that parent away from the classroom? I know our school has called the resource officer to escort unruly parents out of the building.

Get to a doctor and get your meds. This is a medical problem and needs to be treated as such. VA is a "right to work" state as well, though we can join the VEA which is considered an association - not a union. Most of our teachers dropped their VEA membership several years ago because they did not approve of the NEA supporting specific candidates. We now belong to another association with as good or better legal coverage than the VEA offered through NEA. I don't remember if it is only for our state, but I don't think so. You may want to inquire about this.

I'll post again if I can remember the name of the organization. Pitiful, isn't it, that I can't dredge the name up from the abyss I call a mind? Then again it is after my bedtime.

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 30, 2011

Palmetto State Teacher's Association- It is cheap and worth the coverage. Good luck! They could answer some questions and offer several things free of charge. And do talk to your admin. They should be your biggest allies. If they are unwilling to remove the kids from your class, you should have a panic button, or a walkie talkie at your disposal that you can call for help. Of course, it would be something the parent would not recognize... Like "Office Code 7 in Room 256." That should send SOMEONE to help you immediately. Again, good luck!

39. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Here is the info on the alternative choice to any state affiliate of NEA:

National Association of American Educators (AAE)
    Administrative Operations and Membership Services
    27405 Puerta Real, Suite 230
    Mission Viejo, CA 92691
    Telephone: 800-704-7799
    Fax: 949-595-7970
    Gary Beckner, Executive Director
    email: Info@aaeteachers.org

I don't see SC listed as a partner on the web site, but it may be worth a call/email to talk to them.

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I would consider taking a medical leave before resigning. I worked with a couple of teachers who just needed time to take for themselves. Both of them were veteran teachers who had too many changes taking place at the same time. One was not on medication. The other was on medication.

Don't let the anxiety rule you. Try different medications and treatments.

I've never had anxiety issues, but I've had other medical issues. I had coaching duties for several years, and I resigned when I became ill. I wasn't doing the kids justice, and I didn't have the energy to do my job well and coach. The principal was understanding.

41. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I am also a young teacher in South Carolina, and I feel for you! Being a first-year teacher is really hard even if you don't have medical problems. But please, please don't resign. You're screwing yourself over financially if you do. Jobs are so hard to come by in SC that obviously you did something right during your first year if they asked you to come back and trusted you with coaching and an additional class this year.

You need to go to the doctor and talk about your anxiety. Also, please make sure to make time for yourself. You're only human and you can only do so much.

As for the triplets, give them the benefit of the doubt, and if they are an issue again, send them to an administrator. I'm a huge advocate of handling behavioral issues in your own classroom when you can without pulling in admin., but they get paid more for a reason and are there to help when you need them. Seriously, send them out as soon as they are a problem; if your school is going to give you all THREE of them again, then they need to handle it if they can't behave in your class.

*HUGS* Ignore the "negative nelly" earlier on this thread. You have plenty of people rooting for you and you can DO THIS!