I want to quit mid-semester. HELP!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Fed_Up, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Fed_Up

Fed_Up New Member

Apr 12, 2013

Hi, I am working at my first full-time teaching job in a Canadian high school. It is a temporary contract that started at the beginning of semester two, and goes until the end of the year.

I teach in a high school in a well-to-do part of town. The kids are quite entitled and rude for the most part. One of my classes has way too many kids in it, including multiple students with learning difficulties. I have an extremely hard time controlling that class, and I dread going there every day. I am a joke to them. My other three classes aren't terrible, but I still feel very worn out by them.

I end up crying or having a stomach ache or feel panicked and anxious either before or after school every day. I hate waking up in the morning, I have trouble falling asleep, I randomly start crying while working at home or driving, my eating patterns have fluctuated, I have been having weird digestion (I don't want to go into detail there...), and I feel depressed and anxious a lot of the time.

I have been seeing a counselor about depression for about a year, and I just switched to a new one. My problem has definitely increased with this job. Also, some really terrible events have happened in my personal life in the last three weeks that are also contributing to the deterioration of my mental health (it was something bad enough that I started crying in the car on the way to school and in the vice principal's office, so they sent me home for the day).

I feel that my students are suffering because of all of this. I have very little patience and I am having a hard time keeping up with marking and planning effective lessons. I have lessons planned every day but I know in my heart that they aren't as good as what the kids deserve (based on what we learned in teacher's school anyways).

I feel like I am drowning and I want out. I have emailed my union to ask what the penalties are for leaving early, but I don't know if I should leave now. I feel like such a quitter, but I really hate every day of my life right now with the exception of weekends. I don't know how I'm going to make it, since I am not even half way through the semester now. What pushed me over the tipping point last night was a disgruntled email from a parent. I started crying and hyperventilating. I just can't take this anymore.

Please let me know what you would do in my situation. I have zero interest in remaining in the teaching profession, so that is not a concern for me.

Thank you.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 12, 2013

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now. The most important thing is to take care of your own health. Check with your union. Often, you can get out of a contract early for medical leave.

How much of the school year is left? Around here, we have six weeks left, including a week of exams. If your doctor says your health won't be harmed by sticking it out, it may be better for the kids if you can stay. But, don't feel guilty if you need to leave. If you are legitimately ill, you will not help anyone by allowing yourself to get worse.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 12, 2013

:yeahthat:

Even if you think your lessons are not up to par, I think it's worse for the kids if you leave half-way through the year, but if you need to, you need to I guess.

For us as well, it is the last stretch of the year, and if last year was any indication, the last part of the year is actually the most fulfilling. You get to see your students move on up to the next level. They realize how much they really learned throughout the whole year. For us, testing gets finished and the rest of the year can be spent doing really exciting things.

I would recommend sticking it out, but if your health is really getting affected, do what you need to.

5. Fed_Up

Fed_Up New Member

Apr 12, 2013

I talked to the union, the next step is seeing my doctor. I still feel like a terrible person, though. There are 9 more weeks and two days of school left after today, which is then followed by final exam week. So, there are ten weeks and 2 days total left with students in the school year.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 12, 2013

There's nothing worse than getting up in the morning with a sense of dread.

I agree with the other posts here regarding looking out for yourself, your own health, and your own well-being.

If you can afford to get out now, get out now.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2013

Definitely check into medical leave. I started my career taking over for a teacher who was needing a break. Personal & professional issues. Barely making it day to day. She went home the last 12 weeks of school. By the next fall, she was fine. Same thing happened with a co-worker another year. High maintenance kids. Family issues. Depression. She took medical leave.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2013

I had some anxiety issues and GI issues a few years ago and wound up taking nearly 5 months off (complicated gall bladder surgery made it longer). If you need to, get out now. Medical leave is better than quitting if you can, but you need to take care of you. Good luck.

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 12, 2013

Fed up,
    I hope you are taking this next step of seeing a doctor - we forget to be kind to ourselves. My heart is with you. This year has been my most trying since I started teaching. I have very good news about next year's job that is carrying me though. Stress can KILL us if we aren't careful. and our job can be VERRRRRY stress filled. Good luck and hugs.

10. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Apr 12, 2013

I agree with some of the others that you might want to think about medical leave. In the short term, can you at least take a couple of sick days to regroup? If you are having digestive issues, you are ill by any standards and don't need to call it a mental health day. Sometimes if you have a few days off, it seems easier--you can sleep, catch up on grading or planning, then see.

11. catlover

catlover Rookie

Apr 13, 2013

Agree -- if it has become a health issue (and sounds like it has) you should be able to leave before the end of the year.

I also agree that if you can find a way to stick it out, it will be better for the kids and for YOU.

For one thing, it sounds to me like it is not your fault that the kids are treating you like that. Walking in mid-year at the beginning of the second semester is really difficult. At a guess, I would speculate that the teacher you are replacing was not the best at classroom management. Or maybe there was a string of short-term subs. The point is, trying to get kids BACK under control when someone has been allowing them to run wild is very, very difficult.

My analysis? You probably did not know what a challenging assignment you were signing up for when you accepted the job. When you found out, you mistakenly believed the pre-existing problems were your own fault -- that you had done something wrong. And maybe you did make a mistake or two (who doesn't?), which only fueled your misperceptions and then took on an importance that is all out of proportion. If you were already depressed, that may have been like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm 100% positive that you are doing a much, much better job than you are giving yourself credit for.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 14, 2013

I completely agree with all the posts that say that you must put your helath first right now. I am glad you are going to see a doctor. As difficult as it sounds, see if you can relax a little bit until you see a doctor. Watch a movie, read a book, take a bubble bath etc.

I know of people who had to leave teaching because of health reasons mostly due to the results of what extreme stress was doing to their body. Any person who is looking after their own health is doing the right thing.