I want to make a website

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by New3rdTeacher, Jun 13, 2008.

1. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

do any of these support documents (where for instance, my kids could download a copy of a report page or form from home if they needed it)?

2. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

When I was in college my university provided free webhosting. We created our layouts in Frontpage and then transferred to the web. It was super easy. Now that I don't have the free host through my college though I'm not sure how to get a webpage that would allow me to use Frontpage. Does anyone know how to set that up or any websites that allow you to do that? I hope this is making sense. lol

3. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

Waoh! Jem, if i am not mistaken, i went to your website and believe me it is awesome:cool: Very useful informations that i really love. I will let my friends go to your site if you don't mind:) I meant www.realclassroomideas.com it is yours right? Kodos to you girl, keep up the good job.Don'stop now.....:haha: I love that site

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 22, 2008

I believe that's becoming standard. Teacherweb (which I have recently switched to) does, but even the space my district provided allowed uploading documents. Some free wikis do too.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2008

Microsoft Webpage Maker is simple to use. It allows you to start from scratch. You can put html codes in it. The program isn't a template but if you can make a word document, you can make a webpage. I buy my own domain space. It isn't as designer and html happy as some of the more sophisticated programs but it can do more than your basic template program or site. It is also free to upload.

The best advice I got from someone was this:

Make a storyboard of your website before you make it. This means you need to know what your basic pages are (and create the pages and menu buttons for them) and you need to know what kind of pages you will link to them. Once you understand how you want your website to function, it is easy to make the pages. You can add to a website at any time but your initial website organization should be thought out.

6. stavb

stavb Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

I know that you can upload your own documents to the Scholastic Class Homepage Builder, and then you give out a username and password for your students and their parents. They can check out the site from home and download any assignments.

Stav

7. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jun 22, 2008

kudos to you all:cool: i do not plan on creating a new site now- not my thing, but gaining a little knowlege won't be of any harm. like a novice i am on technology, i would praise any of your work i come across.:)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2008

Okay, I need someone's advice. I found out that comcast customers have free webspace with no annoying ads. I quickly made a template, but I'm not certain if I like it. I also created another site, which is just a bit easier to create, but has ads. I can also do CSS with the anglefire one. With comcast, I can't and it's very difficult to do images. I just don't know..... Which template do you guys like better? BTW: they are under construction so it still looks a bit messy.

comcast site

Angelfire site with ads

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

I personally like the comcast site. I like the image you used, the coloring and layout.

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 22, 2008

I create my webpage in Frontpage and it is hosted on Yahoo. I pay about $12 a month though. :eek:

11. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Kate, is the yahoo site easy to use using Frontpage? Are you happy with it, besides the cost? :)

12. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

Very happy - it's super easy to use and they walked me through (on their website I didn't even have to call) on how to connect my website with Frontpage to yahoo. I love it which is the only reason I pay $12 a month.....I'm to lazy to change something that works perfectly. :whistle: