I want to give up hope for one student...HELP!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SueHue, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 13, 2006

I have a student who is not making any progress. In fact, he seems to be DECLINING. He started off knowing 15/54 letters, then 14/54, now 13/54. He can count, but he only recognizeds numbers 1-4. He can write his name, but he can't write his numbers without copying a chart. He doesn't have any concept of print.

Of course, he doesn't do his homework. He also NEVER pays attention. I originally thought he was bored/hyperactive or possibly special needs, but now I think he's trying anything to be lazy. I am insulted now by his behavior. Sometimes he sits crouched on the floor sticking his behind in the air FACING ME while I'm teaching. He sings random songs when we are working on something else. If we are doing math, he's singing the alphabet. If I am reading a story, he's singing, "1, 2 buckle my shoe." Each day, I go throught the cycle of my behavior chart. He ends up at the lowest level every day, which stands for a call home/sent to the office. I usually call his house, but I finally sent him to the office last week. The principal talked with his mom, and she took him home. I told him mom last week that I will not be able to recommend him for first grade if he doesn't shape up.

I found out that he goes to a different babysitters each day. He doesn't have consistency nor does he have support. How can I help him if there are 2 components missing: parent support, and student dedication? We actually have a form that parents and student sign at the beginning of the year that state what I have to do as a teacher, and what they must do as parents and students to succeed. I obviously can't do it alone. I just don't know where to go with him. How bad is it that I ignored his behavior today? If I do an SST for him, will it really be for him to improve, or will it be fruitless (and more of a, "at least I did everything I could" sort of thing)?? Has anyone else experienced a student like this? Has anyone ever felt like giving up hope for a child when he's only 5? I feel like a terrible teacher/person for wondering this!

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 13, 2006

It sounds like he has special needs. Do the SST on him. It sounds like he may have autism. It is hard but do not give up. he may need an IEP. Terry G.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

I know this is only a small part, but could you talk with the mom about the babysitter issue? Maybe if there's a college near by, she could find an education student looking for a little extra cash, so he could have consistency in his care, and maybe a little extra 1 on 1 help on the basics. That's what I do instead of working a "regular" job. Or does your school have an afterschool program on campus? In my experience, a lot of parents bounce their kids around because they don't think they can afford quality care, and they just need some help finding care that works for them.

One idea I've used alot when working with really low boys is making activites where they really get to move around- for example, laying flashcards out on the floor, and making them hop to the card I name. Usually boys need to move more than girls, and they often don't get this in the classroom.

Is there anything this child is really interested in? I had one boy that was passionate about bugs. If there wasn't a bug in the lesson, he wouldn't pay attention. If I could somehow mention a bug, I had him, and he was an angel. It also made him feel special and cared about.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas, it's two in the morning and I can't sleep...but I'm feeling slightly brain dead ;)

5. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Don't feel bad...you're NOT giving up! As long as his rear-end is in your room...you are teaching. It's his JOB to listen and follow the rules. I tell my students that it's NOT my job to "teach you how to behave. You already know that. I went over the rules. It's your job to follow them." If they are disruptive on the rug, I remove them to their seat, and apologize to the rest of the class...simply, "I'm sorry that you all had to wait while our story was interrupted. I'm sure you're all in control of yourselves, so thank you for your good behavior. Now let's continue."
    Don't feel like it's all your fault.....you have LOTS of other students to attend to...you're not 'giving up' you're 'moving on'...
    Sounds like he's showing off for attention, but I'd do the referral and see where it goes.