I want to get my Masters...Which subject matter would make me more marketable?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mary2122, Jul 6, 2012.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jul 6, 2012

Hey everyone! I live in Connecticut however very close to the NY border and originally from there so both states are where I am searching for teaching jobs. Right now I have an elementary degree and certification in both states. I have been searching for over 3 years and have not been able to obtain a teaching position. I want to go back to school in either General science(Grades 5-9), biology (5-12), chemistry (5-12), or math (5-12). I like science a lot better and have more passion in it so I would probably pick up on it a lot easier however I know I could do math as well. What I am asking is what would make me more marketable? Thanks!

3. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

I know in my area, South Carolina, math is the place to be! It's much easier together a job as a math teacher and bc of it being difficult to fill those positions, your position is more secure. My degree is in Elementary Ed and I was offered a middle level math position, took it then went back and added on that certification. Surprisingly I only had to take 1 class and the PRAXIS.

Best of luck in your decision.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I always here that math and science teachers are in need, so those two might be the area to look into.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

Yup, STEM is the place to be right now. Would you consider adding Physics certification? I've heard time and time again that physics is the single hardest subject for principals to find teachers for.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

Given that you have elementary certification, you might consider a sped cert...if that's not a possibility for you, follow your passion and go for middle school science....although most schools value multiple certs that they can foresee as 'useable'...a secondary school cert isn't going o be highly valued by elementary, nor vice versa.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

Math or chemistry. There are many biology and general science teachers out there.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 6, 2012

Math or Special Ed!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

I say either Chem or Math 7-12.

Chem will allow you to teach high school Chemistry, which is a notoriously hard spot to fill. But Chem teachers tend to teach only one grade.

Math 7-12 is a slightly softer market, but schools need more math teacher than Chemistry teachers.

10. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

I would say math. If you choose a science like chemistry, then also add on physics or another science. Many schools have teachers teach more than just one science subject.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

How about adding a foreign language too?
    A friend of mine does lots of side jobs translating Spanish and Hmong. Many are for schools.