I want to cry...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RugRats, Jul 7, 2010.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I just moved schools this summer. I bought a giant USB storage and took everything off my old school's computer with the intention of putting it on the computer at my new school.

Then, I lost it! I usually keep it with my school keys, but for some reason I tucked it in my purse. This weekend I went to get it and it was GONE!!!

I've searched high and low. I've even organized like no other and searched again in the hopes of finding it.

My husband sympathizes with me but doesn't understand what a big deal it is. He went out and bought me a new USB thinking that would make everything better.

Oh My Gosh! YEARS of first, Kinder, and third grade material were on it. Things I couldn't even begin to dulplicate.

I don't even know where to begin.... :dizzy:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

Deep breaths.

Are you friendly enough with anyone still at the school that you could ask someone to copy it again for you?

4. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 7, 2010

Aaaahhhh. That's where it hurts the most. I had to delete everything off that computer. It's supposed to be a clean slate for the next teacher coming into my old room.

But you did give me an idea! I shared many files with teachers. I bet I could email them and ask if I could come copy them onto my new USB.

I can see a silver lining! THANK YOU!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Rugrats.. if you're on a good basis... maybe it's still on your old computer you could talk to your tech people at your old school?!?! Just because you hit delete doesn't necessarly mean it's gone forever.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

Good.

And did you check your "teacher clothes"???Or the "clean up" clothes you wore to school for those clean up days? The glove compartment of your car?

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

You never know; right when you STOP looking for it, it may turn up. I had that happen several times this year. When I was frantically searching for something, I would often overlook it. Then later, when I had given the object up for lost, I would find it! Hope that's true for you in this case.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

All great advise, it could still be there tucked away in the craziest place. I also recommend a Tech person. I am luckily friends with our Tech guy, and I just got an email that he left a Big Fat Surprise (his words) for me in my room. If your school has a Tech person, be friendly.

If you find the USB, or are able to retrieve your files in another way, let us know. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

Did you check the lining of the purse? A side pocket? Perhaps another box or bag of school things?

Hope you find it!

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

Could it have fallen out in the car and slipped between or under the seats? Maybe you were being super organized and placed it with things ready to go to your new school, so you wouldn't forget to take it along with you those first days? Where have you been since you put it in your purse? Could you have taken it out at someone's house when you were searching in your purse for something and forgot to replace it?

Wishing you the best of luck to find it AND quickly!! :hugs:

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Look for something else that you lost, that usually helps me to find things that I stopped searching for.

And, I agree that just because you deleted the files doesn't mean that they are really gone. Contact the tech support at your old school and see if they are willing to help.

12. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 7, 2010

Like others mentioned - if you're friends or feel you could talk to someone in the tech department, they could go to the day they ran a backup before you left and should be able to pull your stuff from there! We don't save anything on computers at our school - we're supposed to save everything on the school server for that reason. It never hurts to try!

I had lost my Flip Camera early this year . . . and just as I gave up hopes of finding it - I found it in my bag in a little pocket. The camera is so small it didn't look like anything was in the pocket. A USB drive is similar! Don't give up hope.

13. Teacher73

Teacher73 New Member

Jul 7, 2010

So sorry!

I feel sick for you!

I agree with what's been said already! Sending you good vibes of finding it!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

By the way, I'm convinced that either Jaime, mmswm or TeacherGroupie have it.

I'm convinced that one of them took my keys a few years ago.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

:eek:hmy:

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

Check the lining of your purse!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

Take every single thing out of every bag you brought home the last week of school, then turn the bags upside down and shake them. I thought I had lost a cheque last week, but found it buried in the bottom of my school bag even though I was positive that I had put it in my wallet.

18. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 7, 2010

So sorry! Although, you may have deleted items from your computer, they are never truly gone. I would check with the IT department.

19. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

Yep, the way "deletion" works is that your computer flags that old space of memory as replaceable.

So, it's still there, but somewhere down the line when you need space your computer will overwrite the information you "deleted."

I learned that on Forensic Files. That's how the cops catch the criminals :lol:

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

Oh, I feel for you! I thought I was 'retiring' from teaching and gave all my perfectly organized, color coded new file boxes away filled with my favorite ideas. Now that I'm back in the classroom, I'd give anything to have them back. I wrote the girl I gave them to, and she thinks she has a few left in her closet, so I'm meeting up with her toward the end of the summer to hunt through them. I gave them to her two years ago!! You never know what you can 're-find' if you just ask! Good luck and keep us posted!!

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

It's under the front passenger seat of your car. Your purse fell over once when you were driving and it fell in the little space between the seat and the console.

You put it somewhere special and then promptly forgot that you did that because your brain said "It's safe now."

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

I have to laugh... my mom does this all the time (I asked for 1 main thing for Xmas one year & I opened all but that one. She asked what was wrong & I said I love all these, but I only asked for 1 thing... it was in it's hiding place...LOL) ...sadly now I am doing it... Ugh growing old!!!! :rolleyes:

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2010

Look under the seat of the car. Everytime I "misplace" something, that is where it ends up.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

I find stuff in that lil jean pocket in the pocket...

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2010

Take a deep breath, and send the kids to look for it!

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

I agree. I hope it all goes well!

27. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2010

Check your couch cushions. I lost car keys and found them 4 years later in there

28. kellea1

kellea1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Our school backups all the files multiple times. Your school has a copy somewhere. Go to central office and talk really nice to the tech. people and see if there is anyway they would be able to get this information back for you. A lot of tech people are previous teachers and understand. Some are not so nice, but it can't hurt to ask.

29. Joji

Joji Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

RugRats,
    Almost exactly the same thing just happened to me on Sunday! Well I didn't exactly loose the USB drive but it just stopped working and my computer was asking me to format or something like that but point of the story was I lost EVERYTHING! I feel for you. If you are religious say a prayer to Saint Anthony, he always helps find lost things.

Oh and by the way at least your husband was semi helpful and bought you a new one. My husband who works on computers for living ranted for hours about how I should never put documents on just that drive and not back it up on a hard drive. UGH... live and learn. Good luck finding it!