"I want to be in YOUR class!"

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Zelda~*, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 26, 2011

Hi all! Long time, no post! ;)

I'm having a pretty good year all in all. I have 8 kiddos in my Emotional Disability classroom. We started a new thing this year where we have ALL students out in General Ed. for at least part of the day. It's been---rocky---at times, but all in all I'm pleased with the results.

I go with the First Graders to their Gen. Ed. class, so I've gotten very familiar with their peers, they me. One of the little girls in First Grade over-heard us talking about going to our First Recess. (The Gen. Ed. kids, only get one.)

She looked up at me and said, "I want to be in YOUR class!" I told her very "seriously" "Oh, no you don't sweetheart. We do _a lot_ of work, don't we Johnny?"

Bless my little student, he nodded all serious, and said, "YEAH we do A LOT of work!" :lol:

I'm flattered the ED room is so popular though. Between the Extra Recess and Class Frog (we get visitors), we are the place to be. :woot:

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 26, 2011

That's so cool! So often there is talk about the stigma of being in a "special class" - so cool that you were able to turn it into a coveted thing!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 27, 2011

That's cute! Kids in the general ed. room say that to me all the time too and I love it! I honestly think they don't realize what "special ed" is, which I think is great. I even had a fourth grader who is a teacher's kid ask me why she never got to come to my room!

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

I'm always having middle school students tell me they want to be in my class.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

I love that they're not "scared" of my students. Makes me very happy. :)

7. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 27, 2011

When I was in special ed, people would always say to my teacher that they wanted to be in my class (I was in the Multiply Handicapped class)

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

That's good!

Not every school has such a healthy environment, sadly.

9. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

I sub in a middle school, in which there is a stigma. Students call others "Sped" to be mean if they go to the resource room. I actually explained to them that any classes not mainstreamed (ie. Advanced Placement classes) are considered "SpEd"; geniouses go to SpEd classes. The student who was being teased, was like, "yeah, I'm a genious in SpEd!" It shut the other kid up (who ironically, goes to the resource room, too:huh:) The other kid just said, "Yeah, me too." They chuckled and it stopped the teasing.