I want this job! 700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 23, 2009

3. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

"their cases are heard by 23 arbitrators who work only five days a month, stints of two or three years in a rubber room are common, and some teachers have been there for five or six."

wow! The arbitrators should be working OVERTIME not five days a month. That is an amazing waste of taxpayer money. The teachers should have their cases heard quickly so that they are either returned to the classroom or fired! What a waste of taxpayer money- paying teachers and substitutes.
    :eek:

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

That is outrageous and a HUGE waste!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2009

I read this this morning. UGH! I'm outraged!

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 23, 2009

Total waste :mad:

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 23, 2009

It is a waste of money, but however some (not all of those teachers) have a right to get their cases heard so they can be found not guilty. I mean being sent for a student wearing a hat in class??? C'mon! The amount of time they spend in there is RIDICULOUS it shouldn't be more than a few months.

I work in NYC so I'm familiar with the politics, policies and the way things are ran.

ETA: Not that I agree with everything, of course ;)

8. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Egads! It continues to amaze me that teachers are are required to do so many things (like promptly deal with parent/student issues, promptly process grades and other paperwork, etc.) but the higher-ups who employ us get away with monumental delays and incompetence. Mind boggling!

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 23, 2009

The sad part about all this is that some of the teachers are there because they did not agree with their supervisor or revealed phony test scores and this is the way the administrator got revenge. On the other hand,some are there because of serious offenses against children As union representative I handled a case in which an elderly teacher was sent to the rubber room for yelling at a child who was a servere behavior problem.This teacher,who was new to the school, had clashed with the administration over the room arangement and other minor issues. While he was not in school the principal had photos taken of his room and had students testify how he was constantly yelling at them.None of the responsible,hard working students were ever asked.
    The teacher after four months and various grievances suffered a heart attack and was forced to retire. It is no fun being assigned to these areas. It is very degrading and boring and you would not want to be there. It is a shame that these matters cannot be cleared up in a very short period of time.

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I just read this and I was outraged!

That money can be used to fix schools, technology, etc.

It seems like some of the accounts aren't worth being there--like reporting fudged test scores.

Don't they have better stuff to do???

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2009

I agree, I read this earlier and I was outraged as well! It's so insanely irresponsible of the city to allow it. I understand it's in union rules but the panel should be working everyday not just 5 a month!!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 23, 2009

Agreed! 5 days a month caught my eyes too.

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I'm not outraged at all. Teacher deserve due process. Many hearing take long periods of time (refugee claims in Canada for example can take several years).

I think the idea that these individuals are getting to "do what they want" is inaccurate. Most of these people want to be teaching. They are probably under an extreme amount of stress waiting to hear what is going to happen.

Yes they should process them faster, but this sounds like hell to be not a "job" I'd want.

14. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I agree that teachers deserve the right to due process, but how many innocent teachers are quitting because they are not doing what they are passionate about- teaching? It almost seems as if the process is delayed so that teachers will give up in frustration.

15. maestra121

maestra121 Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

I read this article yesterday, and Im still upset for the waste of money!!!