I want out of teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EducateElise, Aug 1, 2011.

1. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Disclaimer: My apologies to any new teachers just entering the field. This is not meant to scare anyone away from the profession. :eek:

I have tried all summer long to break into the corporate sector but I've received not one phone call for an interview. I'm afraid that due to my teaching background I am somewhat unmarketable.

I mean can anyone tell me of alternative careers for teachers?

I've worked with children for a little over 10 years. 5 in a daycare setting and the other 5 teaching 3rd grade. I've had it with my tyrannical and micromanageable principal. I've had it with parents and their zero accountability. I've had it with the stress of standardized testing expectations. I am burnt out and ready for a change. :(

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

Get out then before you waste another year. I'm sorry, but teachers who don't want to be there are only taking away from their students.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

Think about what else you would enjoy doing. If teaching is still your thing, then consider tutoring or a private school. Think about what you would like to do, and list the steps to get there.

5. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I've been wanting to leave since the beginning of last year. Yet and still I performed my job to the fullest. It is not the students fault that I am unhappy and I did not bring my disgruntleness into the classroom. It would have been a huge disservice to them.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

It's been said before here that sometimes a change of school or grade level will re energize you. It sounds like the administration is a big part of the problem. Do you think that may help?
    What ever you decide, we have your back and will support you in any way we can. Good luck!

7. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Thank you!

This is a typical year for me:

You start out in one classroom and the day before the kids are set to return you receive a memo from the principal that you will be moved to a new room. So you have to take all your classroom decorations down and stay until late at night to redecorate your newly assigned room. (I am not kidding)

The school year starts with me teaching Reading and ELA for half a day and another teacher doing Math, Soc Stu, and Science. Then we receive a memo right before Thanksgiving Break that we will no longer be doing that and teachers will now have to teach all subjects.

These are just a few examples. Everything is done on a last minute basis. I'm sick of the chaos, instabilty and lack of structure.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

A poor administrator can really ruin a school!

9. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I have to agree with what others have said about poor administrators. Would it be possible for you go to another school? That may truly help with what's going on right now. And, I completely know how you feel because I worked for a craaaaazy person for three years and eventually left teaching for a year. Good luck!

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

I'm also going to vote for a change of schools before your leave the profession - IF the root of your trouble is a difficult admin.

Admin can really make or break a school. I worked at two schools before I found one where I have absolute faith in my leaders - and where my admin have absolute faith in me.

Parents - well, there's always a few, um, mushy apples every year. And sometimes those are the kids who need a good teacher the most.

Is it possible for you to switch schools - a different public school or to a private or charter school? Or are you in a tight job market?

11. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I agree as well...it seems like what you're feeling is not based on actually teaching the children at all and you just need to get away from your school! I can't imagine working for a terrible administration year after year. I would recommend trying to change grades, but especially try to find a new school. Good luck! :)

12. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I think, if it were me, that I would sit down and make a list (I'm a list person) of the pros and cons of staying in teaching, even if it's at a different school, versus trying to break out into a new career.

If it isn't the actual job or the students that are the issue, then you may very well just need a change in school and admin. I wouldn't stay somewhere where the admin causes me so much stress that I contemplate quitting permanently.

13. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I have applied to different schools and districts but like a poster mentioned the job market is pretty tight. I am in Houston, TX and all of the TX school districts just made massive layoffs. Many districts now have hiring freezes.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2011

Are you eligible for a sabbatical? Leave of absence? If not, you might want to look for a company that needs customer service reps, either on the phone or in person. That may lead to a training position as you learn more about the corporate ropes.

Teaching under pressing circumstances is apt to suck the joy out of the work. If you're unable to find that joy in small measure, do what you need to do.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

Klein has some openings in elementary!

16. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 1, 2011

Katy still has positions posted. What do you teach?

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2011

I've posted on here before about my first teaching experience. It boils down to I was teaching Jr. High science (with kids up to 18 years old in there). It lasted all of a week. I had kids terrorizing me at my house, stealing from me at school, and no support at all from the administration. (They tore up write-ups in front of the students and told me it was my job to control them.) I easily could have walked away from teaching. Instead I'm on year 15 of teaching mostly 4th grade (3 of 5th) and I know that I'm where I need to be. I'm glad you are looking other places. Your fit is out there. I hope you find it!!

18. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I hope you find the right teaching position at a school that supports its teachers! It would be a shame to see you leave if you truly love teaching.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

WOW. That is too bad that you have had this experience. It does not have to be that way. I teach in a high profile district but we truly do care about the total child. If the child is making gains, that means that teachers are doing their jobs. Teachers are praised for their interactions with kids and for making a difference in the lives our children. Maybe getting out of education completely is not the answer... maybe getting out of your current school is. ;)

20. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

I would talk to a career counselor. Maybe you could do an another job in a school setting. Dean of discipline, truancy officer, etc.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

I don't know of one elementary school in my area that has such a position. Discipline is handled thru behavior mgt strategies by professional educators in the classroom. Bigger issues are handled in conjunction with administration, usually the VP. Absences are pretty much handled electronically thru the school office, with follow up phone calls and notices sent home for excessive absences.
    It seems that the OP still has a desire for a classroom experience...the advice to keep plugging away at other, more positive districts is good. Also consider basic skills (small group) instruction, or getting a sped cert as there is always a need in that area.

22. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

My mom did early childhood education for about 30 years or so. She started to get really tired of it and when she did a career change she went into Human Resources. You could look into that, she seems to enjoy it. I wish you luck.