I want a laminator!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Pre-K, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Hello All,

This may be a bit extreme... but does anyone have their own personal laminator??

This is the first school I have worked in that keeps the laminator under lock and key (literally), in a room guarded by a 'laminator queen'. She only does it when she is in the mood. :rolleyes: And if you ask her, she will say she has to get ready for her class, but go on, give me what you got and I'll get it back to you soon. Which is Friday!

I'm used to using one whenever I want.

We have a small one in our room, but that takes forever! It's the one that you put inside the pouch and send it through. And, we can't do it except for on teacher inservice days..which is once a month! Using it at the end of the day is too much of a hassle. Takes too long to heat up.

I feel I am spending way too much time and money at Office Max. I do have 15% discount and 1/2 price on laminating, I think until the end of Sept.

I have seen the small, portable cold laminators with the crank handle. And I am starting to like the small, hot laminators with the pouches. They seem to hold up better than the big ones!! It's a nice, sturdy plastic! Sometimes, regular laminating things peel, and if it wasn't hot enough, they don't stay together long.

Seriously thinking about buying one! I have a color flat-bed printer, and a fax, so it would make my home office complete! I could have half my labels printed, cut out, and pictures that I want for lessons finished in no time.

I would set it up when I need it, and put it away...like my shredder.

What do you think? Can't be more than $100-$150 bucks, plus supplies.

3. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

laminator

I bought a small hot laminator last year and used it a lot- so much so that it burned out! I replaced it with a Scotch- brand one and love it. We just got a full-sized one at school, but it's trickt to work. This one has 2 heat settings and a light that tells you when it's ready. The pouches are available lots of places. The pouches are 20 to a package and cost about $6.00 . The laminator itself was about $50.:haha:

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

so...it's no harder than running a fax or microwave, right?

I could figure it out easily? worse case scenario... I forget to turn it off??? :(

do they have a override system that shuts itself off or something...

going to go google for some research!

5. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 6, 2008

i got a small one from 3m..its for the letter size pouches..it was only like $25 at walmart.. ilove it

rose

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Ok! 2 for 3M... going back to google it now!

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

ok well when you find one let me know. I want one too.

8. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 6, 2008

oh and you can get the pouches really cheap at laminator.com

rose

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 6, 2008

I have one and love it. I do miss the big, monster laminator at my old public school, though.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Ok found it! Sams Club.

Scotch TL 901 Thermal Laminator - $27.43 #971585

Scotch Thermal laminating sheets 50 count - $5.88 #325318

If you don't have a Sams card, check with your teacher's union...may offer a discount rate!

If you are not near a Sams club, maybe you can check around online. I did not see them online at Wal-Mart. Maybe they only carry them in the store. I would try the craft stores too... Micheals, JoAnn's Fabrics, etc.

Going to get one tomorrow!

btw...the Office Max near my new job has the huge printshop dept. That makes me feel better! I saw some ideas on another site, and I can get them to make my large orders!

The store I used to go to was like this. It was perfect for students in education, and especially teachers! They had a small room with a free electric typewriter. You could type, copy, fax, enlarge, and laminate without ever leaving the room!

sigh! this is how I spend my saturday nights!

thanks everyone!!! :D

11. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 6, 2008

I have one too, and I LOVE it! I buy my pouches online at classroomdirect.com.

The pouches seem to be stronger than the laminate at my school.

Yay! Have fun! (is it sad that I'm so excited about your new laminator? hehe)

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

yes, and we really need to get out more!

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 6, 2008

ooohhh, I want one too. My school doesn't have a laminator at all, and I have to contact paper everything! :( I really need to look into one of these pouch thingies....am a bit excited about the prospect of a laminator! :woot:

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 6, 2008

I have my own--DH bought it for me-- it's a samll one --he bought it from Staples. The best deal on laminator pouches though is from laminator.com. They have all different sizes and the prices are much better than in the stores. They even have different mil -- they always have a deal where if you buy two boxes youget one free. I got a total of 300 laminating pouches , including shipping, for around 30.00 -I ordered the 3 mil regular paper size.

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

thanks! I am def. looking into this!

16. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I have one of the 25.00 ones from Wal-mart. It is wonderful! I gave one as a gift to my sister! EVERYONE needs a laminator! ha,ha

You can make nice little bookmarks or any kind of cards you want to preserve...I just love it!

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

Are you working at my school MPK? We aren't allowed to do our own laminating either. Though the laminating queen would rather we do it cause she hates doing it but the P doesn't let us.

18. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 7, 2008

I bought mine from Hobby Lobby. You can buy different cartridges to fit it. It was about 90.00. They cartridge was about 30.00, I think.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Master Pre-K --- The Laminator!!!

OMG...why did I not get one of these sooner!!

Well, first I must tell you the drama I had to go thru to get the darn thing!

I went on line and found it Sam's Club. Called them and asked if they would hold it and they said no! There were 36 in stock. So I headed out there Sunday. Found the shelf with the pouches, grabbed 2 packs, then looked around... and saw an empty space where the laminator should be.

So I bugged at least 12 people in the store, they said they couldn't find it! I waited impatiently...one person said finally..."I found it, how many do you want?" :confused:

"Just one!".. and I got in line.

45 minutes, I am not kidding.. she comes back. After I let a hundred or so people go ahead of me!

Then, found out my sister had not renewed our cards! :eek:hmy: So instead of paying $25 plus another $12 for pouches, I had to pay the membership fee of $35 too! :| I wonder if they had it Wal-mart???

Wonder why my sister didn't renew our cards?! :huh:

Well, I spent twice as much money, but it was worth it. Plugged it in and it works!!!

Nothing can stop me now!!!!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Probably because too many people forgot to turn it off, despite all the cutesy tags that say, "off...on, I'm warming up...Turn me off if you are last one here"...and that big glowing button!

and the dreaded smell of melting plastic...

I heard one school had the whole thing burn up...

Mine is as simple as making waffles! Red light means powers on. Green light says it's ready. Okay, I am finished...time to turn it off.

I don't know why everyone can't get that concept!

21. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I was at my walmart in nj and did see the 3m one there..but now of course you can shop at sams club

rose

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 9, 2008

I have my own laminator too (similar to yours, MPK). I absolutely love it! Our school laminator has a team of people that are allowed to use it, and generally they're good at getting stuff done on time, but for small projects I prefer to laminate things myself. But I did get a bunch of posters laminated at the school!

23. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 9, 2008

We also have a "laminating queen" This is our third week of school and I just got some of the things that I wanted laminated the first week! AHHHH! I might buy one of those too!

24. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

congrats! now you should order a whole bunch of pouches from laminator.com !

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

Ok, I am hijacking my own thread..

Since I have a captive audience :p, what are some good anti-virus softwares? I think I had Norton Antivirus and it expired. Lately, all kinds of junk keeps popping up, and I can't write a sentence here without seeing more spam ads! Some are saying my computer is infected and it's loading anti-spamware for me! I know it's all a scam, but now that I think about it...when I look down at my right side of the computer, I do notice an icon is missing.

So, what's the best choice for anti-virus/anti-spam software? Do I buy it once, and then pay for it every year? I don't remember!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

ok, will add it to my favorites!

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

I know you already got the laminator, Master, but couldn't you purchase one with bonus points through Scholastic?
    Congratulations! :)

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

I am in a elem bldg, but doing pre-k. so I don't have scholastic. I plan to piggyback on another teacher's order. My kids are so little, and their parents are so new... I don't trust them with anything but their bookbags and coats!

29. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

I teach preschool and I do scholastic--- Ido the firefly and seesaw---

I personally have had good luck with AVG-- it's a free virus program that you can down load. I will ask my DH what he recommends if you are going to buy one-- he works at staples part time in the electronics dept.

30. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I am in an elem building and I have great luck with book orders with my K3 kids. The parents are very interested since it is their first school experience.

I didn't think of getting a laminator with my bonus points - great idea. I knew I was saving all of them for something!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

thanks...I bought Norton Internet Security tonight...already notice a difference..no pop ups.

back to the scholastic book order... I think it is too much to deal with when you have pre-k. These kids can't remember their names, barely their own backpacks. I don't like to send things home, nor pray things parents send will come back in one piece. So I don't like messing with money...and forms, period in pre=k. I would prefer parents come directly to me, pay me, and I send stuff out. but really, the day goes so fast...I don't have time to deal with that stuff.

guess that's another hijack..or twist to my thread... yes, pre-k could use things like scholastic and taffy apple sales, etc., but it is so difficult IMO dealing with things like that with little ones, and parents who barely remember to get here on time! :unsure:

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

I use the regular laminator at school - when it is loaded with paper. (I tried to load the paper once and nearly broke the machine because I had it in backward or something. I'm not touching it again.)

What are the pouches? I've never used the smaller type laminators. Are pouches used for them? What happens if the object doesn't fit in the pouch - you have to stock all different sizes?

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

actually upadaisy, I now feel the smaller laminator does a better job. the big one is good for large projects, and lots of little things. but if it is not warm enough, and even after time...they plastic does peel apart.

with the small laminator, you put your work inside a pouch, like a folder. then, you feed that into the laminator, and it seals it tight. the result is a much stronger, card-stock document, similar to an insurance card.

they used to make little ones for id cards, that you could buy out of the bubble gum machine for a quarter. it's similiar to that. self sealing laminating pages operate the same way.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

So, have you bought all different sizes and can you put more than one item into a pouch?

35. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

I have one too! I love it - it laminates hot and with pouches - I am able to do a lot of my small projects at home when I want to and the laminator pouches are better quality than what the school uses. It is well worth the money.:)

36. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I have a small 3m laminator in my classroom and LOVE IT! The PTO bought it for me last year off of my wish list. I agree the laminate is much thicker and durable than the flimsy stuff the media center uses. I use my personal laminator for any small projects. Anything that would take too many pouches or that is too big to fit, I let the media center laminate on their machine.

We are not allowed to laminate our own stuff in the library. We have to put it in our bucket and the media center assistant laminates on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Enjoy your new laminator! :)

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

exactly inhisgrip! too many people jam the big laminators, forget to turn them off, so they nominate a laminator queen. the custodian is the only one allowed to add the new roll.

the small laminators have different sized pouches, which also eliminates all that cutting! you can laminate several small items with 3x5 or 5x7 pouches or use standard paper size 8x10 pouches s and never have to cut them!

38. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 13, 2008

the laminaor I have will do hot, cold or foil depending on what type of pouches you want to use. I have only ever used the ones that you ue withthe hot setting. The pouches are like two sheets of plastic hinged on one side or at the top and you put the item in between and when it goes through the laminator it presses it and heats it so it seals. If you go to laminator.com you will be able to see all the different sizes and types of pouches available. I usually get the standard paper size ones and if i have something larger than that I laminate it with clear contact paper. They do have longer ones though that you can get-- i think they call them legal size. They always have a specal that if you buy 2 boxes of the same size you get a third one free and last time I ordered I got 300 of the standard paper size ones, including shipping for around 30 bucks!

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I bought the standard 8x11 ones, 50 for $5.88 at Wal-Mart. going to visit laminator.com site. office max doesn't carry the scotch brand...don't know who else would have them. guess it really doesn't matter much about the brand.

40. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

I had a small heat laminator and really liked it until it quit working. So my husband bought me a cold, hand-crank Xyron machine and I like it alot. The plus' are that you don't have to warm it up, can use it anywhere(no electricity) and the roll of film seems to last forever. They carry them at Michael's and Joanne's and you can use their coupons for 40% off. We have a regular, big laminator at school that we use for posters and stuff, but it has to be run by our school aide. People jammed it up so bad(the film went back around thru the roll and laminated to the roller)that teachers are banned. The problem is that our aide often doesn't let it get hot enough and stuff is bubbled and peeling, or she creases or folds items by accident and then it is ruined.