I want a job *whimper*

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lyquidphyre, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I know I could post this in the Job Seekers, but its busy over there and my topic really isn't all that important hehe. I just need to vent.

So I had an interview 3 weeks ago and they said I did a wonderful job and they would contact me either way in 2-3 weeks. They even called my references first thing the next business day. Well, it has been 3 weeks as of today. I emailed the principal last Thursday with no reply and I sent a thank you note which he should have received this week. I called HR yesterday and they said most principals are on vacation this week AND contracts in Texas are up/due/whatever today.
    I really, really want this job. If I don't get this job I'm not sure where to start. I'm going to have to start emailing principals AGAIN (it took about 10 emails to different principals and I only got this one interview)... My boyfriend starts his new job next week and the location of his new job doesn't leave me many options of "in between" for driving.
    *bangs head on desk*
    I've had dream after dream after dream where I got the job, or I didn't get the job...
    I just want a job ANYWHERE so I can see my classroom, get my textbook and start planning, planning, planning. School starts here Aug. 27th.. I would love to know something before the end of July.

Thats all.. I'm stressed... thanks for letting me vent. :sorry:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Hang in there.

Are you interested in teaching in Vegas?

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Relocating really isn't much of an option. As much as I would love to go to Vegas I don't know how logical it would be to move and teach there. Especially since I'm technically not fully certified (I'm going the post-bach method and looking for an internship)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

That makes sense.

In that case, maybe you should get a head start and begin sending out your second batch of emails tomorrow.

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

From what I understand principals aren't around on Friday.. so Monday if I don't hear from my "dream school" I'm going to call and ask what the deal is (in a professional manner, of course) and if I get rejected I'll be sending out TONS of emails in hopes someone has a Biology opening. I've looked around on school websites that list "specific campus openings" and hardly any of a science/biology opening *Snarf*

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Why start sending emails Monday. Send them today and call the school on Monday.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I agree with Jaime. Start today.

Email a cover letter and resume to every single school within your desired commute. Who cares if they say not to contact the individual principals? (If they haven't contacted you yet, what do you have to lose???) Don't limit yourself to those posting openings, contact every single one.

Start from scratch and let them know you're out there!!!

9. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Are you going through the alternative certification process, or is the internship something different?
    Which parts of DFW are too far for you?

10. jepeery

jepeery New Member

Jul 13, 2007

I know how you feel

I was in your exact position two weeks ago. I had a great interview and ended up not getting the job. School starts here on the 20th of August, so I was really worried too. But I started getting my resume out to everyone that would look at it and I got a job last week. Here's how I did it.

I'm not sure if your county/district displays vacancies online, but if you can find out what schools still have vacancies start calling the schools directly. Make sure you ask to speak to the person in charge of vacancies. Then ask if you can send your resume to them directly. If they let you send your resume make sure you include a good cover letter mentioning why you want to work at that specific school.

I got about three schools to give me an e-mail address that day. Within five minutes of sending the first e-mail I got a call for an interview. By the time the other schools started calling me I had already accepted the job.

I know you can't call them today if most schools are closed on Friday, but you can make a list of all the schools that might have vacancies and get there numbers so that first thing Monday you can start calling.

Good Luck! Keep your head up.

11. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

You might consider Generalist 4-8...it really would open up your options a great deal more. My SIL is going through the Region Service Center in her area (Dallas) and she is also Bio. She has not even begun sending out resumes, and I am worried she is going to run out of time and not find that many positions. She wants to coach, too, which might be impossible.

Hang in there!!! Send out MORE than you think you need. Apply to schools that you at first never would consider. You might be surprised at the hidden gems you can stumble across when you go to some of the outer areas...maybe not as much $$, but a whole lot less stress!!

I am in TX, and I survived an internship last year. It can be done, just hang in there!!!!

Teresa

12. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for all the advice! Y'all are right, I need to start today. This is what I going to do- I have a piece of paper that says "districts applied to" and one that says "HS emailed." Today I am going to apply to about two more districts and from there start emailing like crazy!
    I must tell myself that I am in a critical needs area and they want me, they just have know I'm here!

ValinFW- Mine is sorta like alternative certification but I am going through a university (UNT) not a general program. My bf's new job is in Plano which changes my original ideas of commuting. At first I applied to schools closer to Ft.Worth like HEB, Grapevine and Birdville because they are close to where I grew up but now I'm going in the Lewisville, Denton, McKinney, Frisco and Coppel direction.

Hapyeaster- I love little kids, but I don't want to teach that age group. My degree was in Biology and I've taken and passed the Life Sciences 8-12 test. I am critical needs so someone is bound to hire me! I subbed those age groups, and kudos to those 4-8 teachers, I don't know how they do it!

Thanks everyone for their words of encouragement! I went to bed sorta sad about this and now I feel like I've woken up with a second wind =o)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Technically not being certified makes you less marketable. what do you have to do to get certified? do it asap.

Having done a great job on the interview doesn't mean you have the job- you need to keep applying to districts until you have a contract IN HAND (not just verbal!!)

This is a good week to send out your resumes-- your paperwork will be there when the principals return from vacation. Follow up next week with phone calls. All of this coincides with most districts 6o day notice guidelines- teachers who have decided to not return have 60 days notice to give to school districts (at least around me!) so schools start scrambling mid to late July to fill their slots with great candidates.

Make sure your resume is impeccable-check, proofread, again and again. This is what gets you the interview!!

14. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

I'm going through a Post Baccalaureate teacher certification program so I have taken all my tests and all my course work, but before I get a certificate I need to complete my internship which is teaching for one full year.

Since teachers have given their final notice (as of Thurs.) it is opening doors for me. Before I emailed some principals and checked school websites and 99% said they had no openings, so there wasn't anything I could do. But now I feel I can start up again and hopefully I will have more success =o)

15. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Hey there. I grew up in Plano and went to PESH. My sister is in the system there now. I will be a second year teacher this year. I applied for 80 jobs and got 2 offers. From my experience, my guess with the wait is that they offered the job to someone else and they are waiting to see if that person takes it. If they do not, then you might be next on the list. If they like you this much, then they will keep you in mind in case another opening comes up. I got offered a job from a district after having been declined for someone with experience for a previous position I interviewed for. Let us know how it goes!

16. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

In my district, they have to offer job openings to teachers seeking transfers first, and then they can open them to other people. Contractual issue.

17. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I applied to 3 more districts and emailed 4 principals. Once I get some responses I will start emailing more. Many districts don't have a science openings so it limits principals to email.
    I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that other job. I would assume I am going to hear from them this week.. hopefully.

I'll keep y'all updated =o)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Why wait??? It's 7:05 am... what do you have better to do?

Or, as added inspiration, what if there's a bio-teacher-lurker out there from your neighborhood, reading this post and deciding to email 50 principals??

Pour some coffee and send those emails!!

19. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Hehe, I'm not an early bird but a night owl... so the one thing I should be doing right now is going to bed hehe.

I'm honestly just having a really difficult time finding schools with an opening within a 45min driving radius. I will say, I have emailed about 5 other principals a week ago with no openings.. so I'm up to 10 schools contacted... hehe, that isn't all that great but it's a start! Also, once this one district's HR people receive my documentation I plan to email about 5 more HS in that district.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Who says they need to have an opening posted?

My 2 job offers last year came from schools whose openings I was unaware of; they hadn't been posted yet.

I was rehired by my school when they HAD no opening; I told them of the 2 other offers, so they hired me back, not knowing what I would teach.

Send stuff everywhere. That way if an opening comes up tomorrow, they have your stuff.

And get some sleep :)

21. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks, you make a really good point =o)
    I'm keeping a list of who I email so I don't get confused. I guess when I wake up tomorrow I can start emailing more since I don't have any school work due online.
    Also, this time around I have been attaching my resume and letter of intent so I'm not just some random email =o)

22. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

So I finally got frustrated enough to call that school I interviewed with and while the principal is out of town I was able to talk to the assistant principal... yah, they offered the job to two other people but "if those fall through we have you on file"
    So, after crying for 15min I sucked it up and applied to another district, made a zillion phone calls and found a few openings.. emailed more people and got some things accomplished.

*sigh* good think I have cookies to comfort me

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

24. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for the link, Alice. I'm not sure with my certification program teaching private school would count as an internship towards my certification HOWEVER I will look into- never hurts to look!

25. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Alice, you're a gem! And I hope if I ever need you for words of encouragement, that you're having a great day like today!! :-D

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm actually in a great mood. I spent a good part of the day cleaning out closets. I did Kira's Julia's and my own.

The girls room looks GREAT!!!! And I have 4 bags of clothes to donate, in addition to the 3 bags I'm giving my friend when she returns from vacation.

What a productive day!!!

27. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I understand that!!! Those are my BEST days....I slaved in my house yesterday 'cause I have a guy here right now installing a new ceiling fan. I came in from summer school today, and boy, did it look and feel great in here. I'm also trying to establish new habits of NOT STUFFING things where they don't belong. Well, we can dream, anyway...

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I will NEVER break that habit. Some thngs are just not within the realm of the possible.

29. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

How did you find out the openings that hadn't been posted? Did you call, e-mail, or resend resumes?

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I just sent a resume to every school I would consider teaching at, inquiring about "any openings"